O'Riordan Isn't Taking New Orders Right Now

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jluckett
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

O'Riordan Isn't Taking New Orders Right Now

Post by jluckett »

I just called Patrick O'Riordan to order one of his whistles, and he very politely told me that he has enough orders right now to keep him busy for the next two years. He's not accepting new orders at the present time.

I'm very disappointed because I've heard his D whistle played & it's beautiful.

If anyone can recommend a whistle of a similar quality, I'd appreciate the advice!
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Woooooooooopppppppeeeeeeeee :D :D :D

Ahem! Excuse me for my joyfulness.

That is really sad to hear, they are such excellent whistles, everyone should have the chance to own and play one.

I have a concert set D/C in cocobolo which I have owned for eight years. One O'Riordan wooden whistle in D sold for $600 on e-bay late last year. My set just made my pension plan.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
lixnaw

o'riordan isn't taking new orders right now.

Post by lixnaw »

to my ears burke's sound best and play best. www.burkewhistles.com
have a listen at www.tinwhistletunes.com
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I find it interesting that you asked for 'similar quality' not 'similar sound'.

Many of the wooden whistles are of similar quality, but the O'Riordan is by far the most solid, heaviest instrument I have. Michael Cronnolly of M&E is making one now of similar heft, greater volume.

I agree that the Burke whistles are superb, especially for the value. But they are not wood.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I'm curious about this heft phenomenon.

Would one of you folks who have an O'Riorden be able to make a fairly precise measurement of the wall thickness and bore of a soprano D O'Riorden?

I would be looking for measurements within about 1/64th of an inch (that's a fourth of a 16th of an inch). Most rulers show 16th divisions, so you can eyeball it pretty close to 1/64th tolerance.

Thanks!
Jerry
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Tyghress wrote:I agree that the Burke whistles are superb, especially for the value. But they are not wood.
I find it interesting that you assumed the original poster was looking for a wooden O'Riordan. Many of us play (and prefer) his non-wooden whistles.

That said, Burke whistles neither play nor sound like O'Riordans, of any sort. They are wildly different whistles.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I heard from a long time whistler (an exceptionally talented whistler) that Abells are even better.

Actually I can't imagine a better whistle than a Burke, though.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I've about given up on taking anyone's 'word' for how good a whistle is. Either:

1. the expensive high-end whistles vary quite a bit (certainly a possibility), or

2. people have incredibly different preferences about what they want in a whistle and/or how they play the whistle (making it sound/play differently for them than it does for me)

After having tried multiple whistle from some of same makers (and finding the whistles very similar), I suspect that #2 accounts for much of this.

-bp
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

jluckett,
in the other thread you say that you've been at it for 4 1/2 months. My advice is to stick with Generations or Feadogs (or sweetones, if you like their sound). There is much information here on C&F if you want to make them a bit sweeter and better. Learn to make those whistles sing first.

Listen to the music a lot and go find players in your area. Try other players' whistles.

If you insist on spending money, get on the waiting list for a Sindt.

Oh, and don't take the advice of people on c&f.
/Bloomfield
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

blackhawk wrote:I heard from a long time whistler (an exceptionally talented whistler) that Abells are even better.

Actually I can't imagine a better whistle than a Burke, though.
Bretton wrote:I've about given up on taking anyone's 'word' for how good a whistle is. Either:

1. the expensive high-end whistles vary quite a bit (certainly a possibility), or

2. people have incredibly different preferences about what they want in a whistle and/or how they play the whistle (making it sound/play differently for them than it does for me)

After having tried multiple whistle from some of same makers (and finding the whistles very similar), I suspect that #2 accounts for much of this.

-bp
I'm certainly not an exceptionally talented whistler, but I have a half-dozen D whistles that I like better than my Abell. There are a few people on this board whose opinions I greatly respect who think their Abells are the best whistles out there, and one in particular who has quite similar taste in whistles to mine. In this case, I think it's differences among hand-made whistles. I know also that she bought a Wilson partly on my recommendation and returned it; she wouldn't have returned the one that I play. Also, I consider my Thin Weasel C among the best whistles on the planet, whereas the first one that Glenn sent me didn't thrill me (I had ordered macassar, but he mistakenly sent blackwood).

I agree that taste has a lot to do with it, though. Outside the Bb, I've never met a Generation that I liked, and I've played many. I've played Overton low-D's side-by-side with Burkes and liked the Burkes better, same with the low-G's. I wouldn't ever say that Overtons are not great whistles, though, just that they're not to my taste.

All the people with different tastes are what contributes to the great veriety of whistles and music available. After all, if we were all the same, we'd have nothing to talk about.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Bloomfield wrote:
Oh, and don't take the advice of people on c&f.
That's the best advice I've ever seen here. Like my dad always said back in the good old days, If you want three opinions, just ask two C&Fers.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

It definitely is both the incredibly different preferences of players AND the differences in handmade instruments.

For instance, I've tried enough Burkes to know that Burke whistles are not for me. They feel mushy and are completely unsatisfying. Ick. (The exception is the low D, which is decent and very easy to play.)

On the other hand, I do know some good whistle players that like them. They are well made instruments.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

First let me say that it is a sad day indeed when the great Pat O'Riordan stops taking orders... and I hope the situation is only temporary, and due to his very long waiting list and not because of any health problems.
Second, being a whistle maker myself, I can really relate to the issue of consistancy from one whistle to the next.
Even when using precision machinist tools and keeping tolerances within a few thousandths of an inch, the crazy things will still vary... sometimes considerably.
I know it sounds silly, but it's almost as if they have individual personalities.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Gary: I spoke with Pat, last evening. He sounded happy, as is his way. I could hear him smiling through the phone lines...

Best to all on this Friday the 13th.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

raindog1970 wrote:Even when using precision machinist tools and keeping tolerances within a few thousandths of an inch, the crazy things will still vary... sometimes considerably.
I know it sounds silly, but it's almost as if they have individual personalities.
Yeah , what he said! In any given batch, each whistle usually comes out a bit different in some undefinable way.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!