The Shores of Lough Graney

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

The Shores of Lough Graney

Post by Steve Bliven »

Anyone have a possible source for the P.J. and Martin Hayes CD (remember those?), "The Shores of Lough Graney"?

Thanks and best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: The Shores of Lough Graney

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I have the original cassette (now there's a memory). Can digitise, if you like. The much later CD reissue had tracks added.

Talking of memories, I bought that in Mulligan's on Middle Street in Galway over thirty years ago. Bought the Tully/Carty recording on the same visit, also on cassette. Had those two on constant rotation through the early to mid nineties :thumbsup:

Looks like Martin Hayes has the CD or at least a download option available on his website
My brain hurts

kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

I got it as a download from iTunes, Steve, I suppose a few years ago, but it still seems to be there.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:20 pm I have the original cassette (now there's a memory). Can digitise, if you like. The much later CD reissue had tracks added.

Looks like Martin Hayes has the CD or at least a download option available on his website
Thanks Gumby (at least that wasn't an 8-track) and Kenny. I'll download a copy and burn it to disc. Hoping to get the disc so's there would be in tracklisting an what passes for cover art these days.

Best wishes.

Steve
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Steve Bliven wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:54 pm (at least that wasn't an 8-track) and Kenny. I'll download a copy and burn it to disc. Hoping to get the disc so's there would be in tracklisting an what passes for cover art these days.
Downloads don't seem to be completely 'real' to me either, ideally I'd want a physical item with a cover and notes to read.

Even during the early nineties cassettes were a bit passé but a lot of this sort of independent releases were still done that way. CD reproduction was still too expensive or not available for smaller runs. Mulligan's in Galway had a great selection, I got away that time with a load of stuff, as I said Lough Graney, Conor Tully and Paddy Carty and I may have gotten Casey in the Cowhouse then as well, not completely sure. It was a good haul anyway.

The Lough Graney tape is a catchy one, all rhythm and melodically simple. Easy to pick up the tunes. In fact Behind The Ditch In Pairc Anna (Mrs Dwyer's) has been earworming me all morning on the back of this thread.

We walked the Flagmount side of Lough Graney a few weeks ago. A good day, if a bit grey. There's a little island in the lake that a young local woman, Mary Agatha Glynn, used to keep sheep. She decided to emigrate and boarded Titanic in Youghal, or Queenstown as it was then. She was the first one saved by the Carpathia though so it ended relatively well for her. She never returned to Flagmount, she wouldn't travel by ship again.

Anyhow, I'll keep an eye out for a copy, a second hand one may yet turn up.
My brain hurts

kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

"Downloads don't seem to be completely 'real' to me either, ideally I'd want a physical item with a cover and notes to read".
Agree 100%, but in this particular instance, you could wait a long time before a CD copy turns up anywhere. iTunes downloads are only useful as far as I am concerned where I can't find a copy of the CD, or I'll settle for LP record or even cassette tape. I can't be the only one [ of my age, anyway ] who finds they purchase a download, and somehow listen to it far less than if it were a CD. Most downloads I buy, I will burn a physical CD copy of and listen to that. Old habits die hard, and I do like sleeve notes which I regard as important to finding out about the music and the people behind it.
"Teada" have a new CD released, and very good it is too. I ordered the CD, but was able to listen to it beforehand by using the download facility and immediately burning a CD copy which I have now listened to several times. I am about to do similar with a new release, "The Donegal Melodeon" by Dermot Byrne, which I am really looking forward to hearing.
Horses for courses.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Glad to hear that I'm not the only codger who likes to be able to touch a product. I confess to really missing the cover art of LP vinyl and have a hard time reading the tiny print found in the CD booklets, but my grandchildren are growing up in a digital world and wouldn't know what to do with a newspaper... The times, they are a'changing...

Best wishes.

Steve
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Ofcourse it's a generational thing although there appears to be a trend towards an increased interest in 'Vinyl' and even cassettes seem to be making a comeback of sorts. Newspaper articles highlighting the best turntables to buy and that sort of thing.

I do take my music in any form I can get it although I admit the CDs I have sitting on my harddrive courtesy of Clare libraries don't get the airing a 'real' physical item would get. So there's that.

There is satisfaction in having an 'original'. For example I have had the Paddy Canny/Peter o Loughlin/P Joe Hayes/Bridie Lafferty recording for donkeys years, first a cassette copy, moving on to a CD digitised from lp and eventually the re-issue Paddy Canny released (after settled courtcases and all that but that's a different story), I was dead chuffed when I found an affordable copy of the original lp some years ago though.

Same for some other classics. No sleeve notes then though:

My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

One plus for the CD over LPs and cassettes, you don't have to get them up and flip them over to get second half of the recording—not that I'm a slug or anything. And how did we ever cope with 78 and 45 rpm recordings....

Best wishes.

Steve
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

And how did we ever cope with 78 and 45 rpm recordings....

:)
My brain hurts

alanng

Post by alanng »

Regarding the later CD reissue that Mr. Gumby mentions above, might any of you have a physical copy of that on hand and can post or otherwise share photos of its printed matter? I'd like to add this album to irishtune.info, and have a digital copy of the tracks themselves, but they are useless to me without an accompanying copy of all the original printed matter published with the album and on the disc itself. Basic librarian stuff.

- Alan
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

If you don't get any takers, I can get a copy from the local library next time I go in. Clare county library does tend to put a load of stickers, labels and barcodes all over, covering vital information etc so it will be a last resort, less than ideal, solution. Give me a shout in, let's say, a week.
My brain hurts

WaltP
Tell us something.: . .

Post by WaltP »

https://www.discogs.com/release/5021965 ... ugh-Graney

If you click on the "More Images" link underneath the album picture and scroll through, you may find what you are looking for.