OT - Extended absence / travel *complete (updated 9/9/03)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

OT - Extended absence / travel *complete (updated 9/9/03)

Post by avanutria »

On Wednesday morning I'm leaving for my first trip to Ireland. :D Following the example set by Chris Laughlin, I'll post updates about my trip whenever I get a chance. I'll post in this thread.

Chiffers who receive emails, postcards, etc, feel free to pass on location/activity info.

I'll be back somewhat regularly starting in September. I expect my post count to be passed by at least a few people by then! ;)
Last edited by avanutria on Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:51 am, edited 9 times in total.
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

Have an awesome trip!
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TelegramSam »

Don't forget: You're supposed to find a good lookin guy for me who doesn't drink too much or smoke. I'm countin on ya Beth!!
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Paul

Post by Paul »

Beth, have a blast!! I look forward to reading about your trip here.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Will be thinking of you Ava..have a wonderful trip! :)
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Slainte!

-Have a wonderful time and bring back some nice tunes to the Seattle session!
-Best wishes,
Brian Ormond
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Have fun, Beth! And be careful.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

Bye, and have a great time.
Your posts will be very welcome reading.
Lolly
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Hope you have a good time, Beth, and be on the lookout for people winding you up!

Two recommendations for your reading list:
"The truth about the Irish" by Terry Eagleton, and
"McCarthy's Bar" by Pete Mc Carthy.

Both available in paperback, and both very suitable reading for anyone from the US doing the Ireland thing.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Just heard from our dear Beth yesterday. While she was sitting in the airport waiting to catch the flight into Dublin actually. Also received a quick note stating she had arrived safe and sound as of about 3:00 this morning (mountain).

So she's well on her way to enjoying the next three months of her life. I wonder if Ireland will be able to handle the AVANATOR?! :)

B~
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Hello!

Well, I've made it to Ireland. I'm spending the next couple of days at my cousin Carmel's house and heading up to Donegal on Saturday. I've already learned a lot:

1) don't drop your camera (ow...crud. still alive though)
2) when the bus driver tells you to get a rambler pass, that's way more than you need to pay to get where you are going
3) change all your money before you come because the change machines at the airport are out of order. But it's true, there is a machine that will give you one euro for one dollar, flat rate. Shame it's not working. I have my suspicions about that, considering the current rate of exchange.
3.5) get some small change too, fractions of euros, if you want to use the pay phones.
4) Wear your seatbelt and hold on tight in the streets of dublin, especially if your cousin is driving
5) some accents are harder to understand than others
6) carbonated apple juice is just plain odd.

First day, and I've already been to a pub and going to a session tonight. I figured out how to get my cell phone working, eventually, but it's very expensive to use, even if I switch to an Irish plan.

I've also been asked (twice) about my view on Bush, and (twice) about my religious habits. I think this will be a recurring trend.

Time difference - five hours faster than eastern time.

Gotta go, take care all and I will talk to you later! If I meet any famous musicians I will come name-drop. There's a rumor that my cousin Liam is friends with one .... :o

--Ava
TomB

Post by TomB »

Excellent! Enjoy every bit of your time.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Hi, Beth!

So you're going to Donegal? Are you going to Oideas Gael while you're there? If so, you might run into a close online friend of mine, a young red-headed Dutch woman named Andrea, who is also a whistle player, guitarist, Irish dancer, etc. If you see her, tell her I said hello. Also, any plans for the Letterkenny Folk Festival?

You may also want to drop by Leo's Tavern, which is kind of like the Cavern Club for Clannad fans, as well as owned and operated by the Brennan family patriarch, Leo. I've heard that here you have a high probability of running into some of your favorite Irish trad, folk, and rock players/singers.

Anyway, have fun!

Slan,
Jim
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

avanutria wrote:
3.5) get some small change too, fractions of euros, if you want to use the pay phones.

--Ava
Very good point, Ava - for those flying into Dublin airport & hiring a car, you're almost certain to have to go through the tollgate on the ringroad within the next ten minutes driving, so have some change handy. Buy a candy bar of something in the airport. Also of course, make sure you have the right change for the tollbooth again on the way back to the end of your trip.

Sam, did Beth tell you we're meeting up while she's over? Oh, but I smoke like a fish & drink like a chimbley :D
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

I've never been to Ireland, but for most foreign travel now, I find that the ATM at the airport gives just about the exchange rate for cash.

The other point about the small change, is try to use it up before you go home. Once you're home, it's worthless. You can exchange paper money back, but not coins.

Enjoy the trip!