My New Shop Tools (Updated)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

My New Shop Tools (Updated)

Post by raindog1970 »

Friday evening, UPS delivered my new lathe and milling machine... both arrived safely, in spite of the fact that the delivery man dropped both boxes in my driveway trying to be "macho man" and carry them both at the same time before I could get out there to help him. :o
I would like to commend the folks at Sherline for double-packing everything, and for making extensive use of tape, newspaper, bubble wrap and styrofoam "peanuts" to help ensure safe transit of their products.
If I had known how much fun it was to work with precision machinist tools, I would have bought the necessary equipment years ago!
I still have a good bit of learning to do on the lathe, but I picked right up on using the milling machine... goodbye Dremel!
You all can look forward to lots of whistles coming out of my shop in the very near future... I'm hopelessly hooked on my new hobby, and my new shop tools have opened up a whole new world of possibilities that I could only dream about before now.
I'll not ramble on about all the cool things I've learned to do over the weekend, but I will say it has been a real eye opening experience!
Look out world, Raindog whistles will be coming at you soon! ;)
Last edited by raindog1970 on Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Cori
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cori »

Fantastic, Gary. Enjoy!

I took a hammer to my Clarke Original last night - success. And then I started reading instructions on making one's own whistles ... oooh. Can't be done until I stop roaming the planet, but it's certainly fun to think about! I envy your tool collection and wish you Many happy hours with 'em.
All we have to decide is what to do with the tune that is given us.
Tweaked from Tolkien
Ridseard

Re: My New Shop Tools (Not OT)

Post by Ridseard »

raindog1970 wrote:Look out world, Raindog whistles will be coming at you soon! ;)
I may be wrong, but I have the gut feeling that, with your dedication and expertise, the Raindog may turn out to be the next great whistle, in the innovative tradition of the Burke and the Sindt. (Now do I get a free whistle from your next batch? :D )

Actually, I'm serious (except for the parenthetical question).
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Is it too soon to get on the list for the first run???
"Do not fear;Zion,let not your hands be weak;
The Lord your God in your midst;
The Mighty One,will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you in His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."
Paul

Post by Paul »

Gary, learning on the old tools probably adds to your mastering of the craft..... hmmm... Well, on second thought, :D :D Congratulations on the new mill!!! That's great!
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

I am also among those who are very interested in your new whistle!!
Please, please make your Raindog high and low D fisrt. :love:
Rockymtnpiper

Post by Rockymtnpiper »

goodbye Dremel!
Dont toss it out just yet.. OF course, you did get the milling machine too ...so maybe this tip wont be as helpfull...

If you make a Boring bar holder type contraption (big aluminumn block that mounts on cross slide, with a great big hole through the middle) Then you mount the flex shaft tool on the cross slide.. Mount tube between centers to hold the tube, and use the dremel flexshaft tool as a milling machine. IT works great for punching pilot holes exactly where you want them.

You might look at some of the site with user tweaks and whatnot for the Taig lathe.. many ideas and whatnot apply to any type of machine.

I envy you for the variable speed motor.... But as a Taig user ive become accustomed to the machine, and will probably not change my ways. (except to stretch it out to 48" and add a 1 3/4" through spindle twin chuck headstock, and variable speed motor...)
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Ain't power tools fun? :-)
Just watch your fingers !!
So, tell us a bit about your proposed whistles...

One of these years, I hope to get a milling machine, but my current shop (that is to say, spare bedroom) won't permit it. Still using a Dremel with a fiber cutoff wheel to make windways, hand filing the ramps. Sigh...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Rockymtnpiper

Post by Rockymtnpiper »

Just watch your fingers !!
Those Scroll chucks pack quite a DOH! LEe ValleyTools sells a cover / safety awareness thingie for scroll shucks. It amounts to a bright colored terry armband, you put it around the chuck.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Rockymtnpiper wrote:
I envy you for the variable speed motor.... But as a Taig user ive become accustomed to the machine, and will probably not change my ways. (except to stretch it out to 48" and add a 1 3/4" through spindle twin chuck headstock, and variable speed motor...)
My first lathe was also a Taig. Gotta love 'em! I was going to add a larger spindle bore as well, but I found this. http://www.cuesmith.com/main/lathes/index.php You'll notice that it's just a glorified Taig. A bit pricey, but by the time you get a couple of good bearings and invest the time, it seems less. I never did get it, but it looks like it would do the trick.

Raindog - congrats on your new toys! May they bring you many hours of enjoyment, few hours of frustration and even fewer of pain. And may the world be filled with Raindog whistles :)

Best,
Erik
Pan

Post by Pan »

Great, I wish you the best of luck with your new "business".

/Peter
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Rockymtnpiper wrote: If you make a Boring bar holder type contraption (big aluminumn block that mounts on cross slide, with a great big hole through the middle) Then you mount the flex shaft tool on the cross slide.. Mount tube between centers to hold the tube, and use the dremel flexshaft tool as a milling machine. IT works great for punching pilot holes exactly where you want them.
AW MAN! Here we go again! Guys, would you take this sorta distraction private??? ;-) I mean really.... mounting flex shaft tools on cross slides. . . :o Boring bars and punching pilot holes. . . :D :D :D I'm at work! you can't do this to me! (wiping perspiration from furry brow).
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Thomas-Hastay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

HeHeHe! Tyghress!

(Thomas turns the heat up and says)
"He forgot to say that these "tools" also vibrate with incredible intensity!" :lol:
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Gary,

Dude, I am soooo jealous!! Have fun with the new toys :) (Like I really need to say that :roll: )

Cheers,

Loren
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Thomas-Hastay wrote: (Thomas turns the heat up and says)
"He forgot to say that these "tools" also vibrate with incredible intensity!" :lol:
THAT DOES IT! I'm going to print out a copy of http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ight=lathe and go someplace private!

Carry on, Gents. . .Da Cat is all whiskers and ears!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe