Trying out whistles in north Texas

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
picardy third
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Trying out whistles in north Texas

Post by picardy third »

I'm looking for a music store in the Dallas area that sells whistles. I've got some great inexpensive and expensive whistles in my small, young collection, but I am really wanting to find one of the good Generation D's out there. From what I understand you are really playing the odds if you order them online. Anyway, do any of you know of any shops in the Dallas/FT Worth area that carry whistles (and let you try them out)? Thanks for your help.

Also while I'm sort of on the topic, how many C&F people do we have in Texas?

picardy
"Have a cluckity-cluck-cluck day."
Stan

Post by Stan »

Good luck on your quest. I haven't found a place yet that will let you try a whistle "in house". I'd get into the yellow pages and save some leg/tire
wear. I know of whistlers in Lubbock, Midland, Marfa, San Angelo, San
Antonio, Harlingen and Houston. Lots-o-territory to cover in Texas !
Sara

Post by Sara »

I live in Texas - the DFW area, to be exact! :)

I don't know of any whistle shops around here, sorry! But I've often wondered if there are any - I'm sure there probably are in Dallas.
Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

You can't hear the truth over your own lawnmower, man!
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

I used to live in Texas. If you get down towards Houston you can try some whistles at Melody's Music on FM 1960. Now in Oklahoma, on the the other hand...

-Nancy
tkelly

Post by tkelly »

You might be able to tell something from the shape of the fipple, even if you can't try the whistle. When I started playing, I really lucked out by finding a shop that happened to have a lot of inexpensive whistles, but that was primarily a bodhran shop. They also let you try the whistles. I bought several, including a really nice Gen. Later, on C&F, I was reading something about Gen fipples, looked at mine, and realized I'd gotten a Gen from before they changed something about the fipple. Now when I find Gens in a shop, I check the fipple. I'll buy any I see that look like mine -- not necessarily to keep them, since I have one. I'd probably sell them to C&Fers, who would appreciate them!

Tery
Thomas-Hastay
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

(Insider info)

There will be a new addition to the San Antonio region in Aug. ,and if all goes well, a new line of whistles/woodwinds soon after(?). Wish me luck?
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
tomcat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

I live in the mid-cities area, bedford, to be exact. Here's all I've found:
1/ A harp store in bedford that sells Low-D Howards, Meg's and Generations.

2/ A folk music store in Burleson that sells Generations

3/ Rumors of a folk music store in Denton, but never found it.

4/ Several chain music stores that sell Sweetones

-None of them will let you try before you buy.
don

Post by don »

As far as I can tell in Austin the only available whistles are the inexpensive high "D"s in most of the music stores. Available in plastic wrap, no chance of playing them, and usually sold with a "play tinwhistle in just three lessons" books
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Thomas-Hastay wrote:(Insider info)

There will be a new addition to the San Antonio region in Aug. ,and if all goes well, a new line of whistles/woodwinds soon after(?). Wish me luck?
So can I trade based upon this information? Will you be offering public stock?

Seriously, that's great Thomas! They're likely to be the best engineered whistles/woodwinds around. Seems like we have had a number of additions to the market this past year - Serpent, Raindog and now... ? What are you going to be calling them?

Erik
picardy third

Post by picardy third »

Hey Tomcat,
This is the best information on stores in the area that I can find. I'll try out some of these places. Even if I can't try out the whistles, I'll be able to save time and shipping and handling by actually going to a store. By the way, I in Lewisville. Thanks for your help!
picardy
"Have a cluckity-cluck-cluck day."