going to the San Francisco Folk Festival?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AngeloMeola
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

going to the San Francisco Folk Festival?

Post by AngeloMeola »

I plan on being there. I see that Tony Higgins is putting on a whistle work shop. Details are at http://www.sffolkfest.org/2003/frameset.html
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

Says who? Oh yeah, that's right. I checked the website, but there wasn't much in the way of details. It looks like 1 hour is the limit before the next person starts their class, but if people want to hang around a bit, there are other places to squat.

My idea for the workshop (my first ever...hmmm) is to do a very basic "this end goes in your mouth" for people who need that, then focus on the cuts, rolls, etc. Managing Clips and Snips has taught me what people do right and wrong as beginners with ornamentation...so we'll work on incorporating the movements while maintaining the all important rhythm. I've got some simple, but effective drills I think will be helpful. I also want to discuss the framework of the dance tunes and suggest what to listen for in order to sort out how to phrase tunes effectively.

Don't worry, I'll have all that learned and figured out by the time of the workshop. Be sure and introduce yourself as a Chiffnfippler and you'll get a free, uh....handshake or something.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I learned a lot from Tony in just a few minutes during the time I spent with him a few months back at Weekenders' house. I played my version of Garrett Barry's and Tony's head spun around three times and he spit out pea soup and said "You do know it's a jig?" (I'm kidding about the pea soup part) He then said "Let's play it together," and I learned a lot in just a few minutes. At the time I thought of asking him if he'd give lessons. He's an excellent whistler.

Now if I could only get him to post the pic he took that night. :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I'm going to try to get up there, if I can.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Kar

Post by Kar »

I'm planning on going as well. Whistle workshop? I NEED one!
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

The pea soup? Yeah, I felt much better after that. Easier to breathe. I still have to use up the roll of film in my camera. You know how that goes. And my wife just got a digital, so, hmmm...I'll work on it.

Blackhawk, lessons? I wouldn't mind that. A self-motivated grownup could do with about once a month or whatever. Get some tips and ideas to work on. My bouzouki partner, Peter and I get together every other weekend to practice. You could hang out and listen in at the same time. Come early or stay later. Send me an email and we'll discuss it. We're practicing this Sunday, as a matter of fact. That jig was Garrett Barry's, as I recall. It just had a wrinkle to iron out.

Peter signed us up to play at the Scottish Highland Games (music, not telephone pole tossing). It looks like we're doing both days. Little nervous, little nervous. Must remember to defer beer drinking until after the performance. Having to swallow saliva in the middle of a long set is not a good feeling. That's the good thing about being nervous- dry mouth. We finally agreed on a band name: Ceol Sidhe. I know what you're thinking, but we have the ego strength to pull it off.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

"Ceol Sidhe"...in San Francisco? You ARE brave! ;)

I like it!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

TonyHiggins wrote: Blackhawk, lessons? I wouldn't mind that. A self-motivated grownup could do with about once a month or whatever. Get some tips and ideas to work on. My bouzouki partner, Peter and I get together every other weekend to practice. You could hang out and listen in at the same time. Come early or stay later. Send me an email and we'll discuss it. We're practicing this Sunday, as a matter of fact. That jig was Garrett Barry's, as I recall. It just had a wrinkle to iron out.
Wow, lessons would be great, Tony! And once a month would be perfect. You're right, that was Garrett Barry's and I've played it much better (more recognizable, at least) ever since your help. I'll email you this weekend about when we can get together. I am busy this Sunday, but we'll figure something out. I'm definitely motivated!
Last edited by blackhawk on Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Thomas-Hastay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

"Are you going to San-Fran-Cisco? Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair". Summertime will be a "Love-In" there.

Make love(and music)not War!
<i>farout man! Peace!</i>
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

[quote="Thomas-Hastay"]"Are you going to San-Fran-Cisco? Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair". Summertime will be a "Love-In" there.

Lets change that to 'Summertime will be tin whistles there'