Regulators-First Tunes?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
geoff wooff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Regulators-First Tunes?

Post by geoff wooff »

Some thread drift, sorry for that.

Simple tunes for getting started on the Regulators!

Jigs in G , like Coppers and Brass, are a good starting point, using the second and third tiers of the tenor and baritone regulator keys, alternating between a G chord and a D chord.

Marches are also convenient .
Madpiper13

Post by Madpiper13 »

Thanks for all the tune suggestions, as well as the reg tuning tips- that has been a new challenge. My ear is better than my abilities currently, which is somewhat frustrating. I can hear tuning is off, but can’t always pinpoint the root cause. But, as I continue to practice, and my pressure and belows work gets more refined, I find my overall tuning is improving. More practice seems to be the solution.
shakyhands

Post by shakyhands »

I don't have regs, so can't speak from experience on the matter, but this is a way easy and charming tune that has a variety of regulator options: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5yJcciLk0M

The version of Ta dha ghabhairin bhui agam by Tiarnan O Duinnchinn is another cute one with some simple and tasteful regulator accompaniment. You can hear a clip of it here: https://www.tiarnan.ie/recordings

Cheers!
shakyhands

Post by shakyhands »

I totally forgot until listening again just now that on the second tune he actually plays the melody of the A part on the regs while using the chanter as a drone on A. It's amazing and now I can't wait to get regs!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Joe McKenna played the melody of a polka on the regs on one of his albums, it's really cool.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
RenaissanceGuy
Tell us something.: I am interested in various forms of traditional and folk music. I've been interested in Uilleann pipes for many years. And now I'm finally learning them!

Post by RenaissanceGuy »

John Walsh's book "A Collection of Pipe-friendly Tunes" has a partial transcription of regulator accompaniment for "The Castle of Dromore" from Leo Rowsome's playing.