Boehm key mechanism in wood, is that art or madness?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ertwert
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Boehm key mechanism in wood, is that art or madness?

Post by ertwert »

Hi,
I just found this Instagram account of a Brazilian flute maker, who builds Boehm flutes in wood. Even the keys and key mechanism is in wood. That can't be a really working instrument? It has to be more art than an instrument for daily use?

What are your thoughts?

And the embouchure cuts and tone holes look a bit rough on some of these pictures?
Here is the link:
https://www.instagram.com/lutheriadiniz/
Stev0
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here as a milti-instrumentalist to learn about and discuss my new interest in irish-style keyless flutes. I played the Boehm flute from 5th grade through 8th grade (I am now 36yo), and recently aquired a Windwood bamboo flute.

Re: Boehm key mechanism in wood, is that art or madness?

Post by Stev0 »

Well there's video of him playing it, so apparently it works. I wouldn't want to play it though, I'd be afraid of getting splinters.
-Stevo
Conical bore
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Conical bore »

Some woodworkers just don't know when to quit. :)

Small pieces of wood like to move over time in response to the environment, and don't handle abrasion well. So I'm calling it more of an art project than an instrument you'd want to keep for a while.
ertwert
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ertwert »

Conical bore wrote:Some woodworkers just don't know when to quit. :)

Small pieces of wood like to move over time in response to the environment, and don't handle abrasion well. So I'm calling it more of an art project than an instrument you'd want to keep for a while.
If I had the money right know, I would love to get one of those. Not as an instrument but as an art / deco piece.
I think the Boehm flute is only 1000 $ und the piccolos are around 300$.