Need advise - who is the maker of northumbrian pipes?

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
Leszy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Need advise - who is the maker of northumbrian pipes?

Post by Leszy »

Good morning!
I've found a set of 7-keyed northumbrian pipes for sale. Current owner told me that the surname of the maker is Gubb, he is from Blyth. Material is rosewood. The set was owned by 3 musicians before current owner, approximate age of the set is about 30-40 years. I don't really know how to upload audio here, but as far a I can tell the set is slightly out of tune, plus the owner told me she can't play on it properly, so I guess there also might be troubles with pressure - which gives out of tune sound. Anyway, new reed should fix it.
Can anyone advise about this maker and the quality of the set? Is it worth buying it?
Kind regards
Aleskei

Upd.

The owner specified that the set is in F+. Is it possible to adjust the tone down to F by making the proper reed?

BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Need advise - who is the maker of northumbrian pipes?

Post by BigDavy »

You could ask the Northumbrian Pipers Society they would be the best resource for answers.
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Leszy

Post by Leszy »

BigDavy wrote:You could ask the Northumbrian Pipers Society they would be the best resource for answers.
Thank you, BigDavy!
Unfortunately there is no response from the Society...
RobSay

Post by RobSay »

Hello - the maker of your pipes is Brian Gumm (of Ashington). The age of the set seems about right given the yellowing of the mounts (which are an ivory substitute called 'Catalin'). Brian was not 'professional' in the sense of working fulltime as a maker but I've seen a fair few of his sets around. I think yours are also probably made out of 'Permali' which is a wood composite that I know he used (possibly exclusively?). Although if you have history of 'Rosewood' ...I'm willing to accept that.

One of his Permali sets came up at auction at the beginning of the year:
https://www.andersonandgarland.com/auct ... pn=18&g=-1#
It's more recent than yours and probably a better instrument (based on age & maker experience) - but you can see the similarities. That auction price (plus commission) is definitely top end tho' - there were better instruments that went for less.

In terms of tuning - minor chanter tuning issues may be down to the reed, maintenance (clean bore & holes, plug) or intonation. Overall pitch; well, if it sits naturally at trad F+ (+20 cents) then it is sometimes possible to find a reed that, at an appropriate pressure, will go down to Fnat - but some chanters suit this better than others.
Leszy

Post by Leszy »

RobSay wrote:Hello - the maker of your pipes is Brian Gumm (of Ashington). The age of the set seems about right given the yellowing of the mounts (which are an ivory substitute called 'Catalin'). Brian was not 'professional' in the sense of working fulltime as a maker but I've seen a fair few of his sets around. I think yours are also probably made out of 'Permali' which is a wood composite that I know he used (possibly exclusively?). Although if you have history of 'Rosewood' ...I'm willing to accept that.

One of his Permali sets came up at auction at the beginning of the year:
https://www.andersonandgarland.com/auct ... pn=18&g=-1#
It's more recent than yours and probably a better instrument (based on age & maker experience) - but you can see the similarities. That auction price (plus commission) is definitely top end tho' - there were better instruments that went for less.

In terms of tuning - minor chanter tuning issues may be down to the reed, maintenance (clean bore & holes, plug) or intonation. Overall pitch; well, if it sits naturally at trad F+ (+20 cents) then it is sometimes possible to find a reed that, at an appropriate pressure, will go down to Fnat - but some chanters suit this better than others.
Thank you Rob.

Well, I've bought this one, and currently waiting the set to be shipped from UK.

It might be that this one is made of permali as well. Not sure the last owner was well aware of the material. Or wasn't completley honest. Don't know if it is good or bad, I'll see when it arrives.

Anyway, hope this one is a good to start playing NSP and there won't be a lot of problems. I'm not a beginner in pipes, but it will be my first NSP set.