"Mechanical" problem with a chanter

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Seamie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Uilleann piper from Maigh-eo now in Northeast US. Flute noob. Learn a lot from the discussion threads.

"Mechanical" problem with a chanter

Post by Seamie »

Hi
As an experienced uilleann piper, I'm a bit embarrassed asking as I thought I'd seen it all, but.....
I'm doing some maintenance on a friend's set. It's a bit of a mess with the joints over-wrapped with waxed hemp
and pipe dope (Arrrrgggggghh). Surprised frankly that the ebony hasn't exploded.
Got that all cleaned up & squared away but the wood chanter top feels like it's been welded to the body.
I couldn't budge it with a sledge (remain calm- I only speak colourfully for effect...)
Almost seems like it was left in a hot area and the hemp just fused. Seriously on there!
Any suggestions on how to get it apart? Heat? Cold? C-4? Help.
Thank you.
Seamus

Success......the trusty old Ice Box method. Thanks
Last edited by Seamie on Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: "Mechanical" problem with a chanter

Post by PJ »

Could be that the wood swelled up with humidity. Try putting it somewhere with low humidity for a day or two. In a closed room with a dehumidifier. That’s the least invasive thing I can think of.
PJ
m4malious

Re: "Mechanical" problem with a chanter

Post by m4malious »

Not dissimilar to flute joints stuck together (old, swollen, hemped joints into wooden sockets).

Wd-40 carefully sprayed (small amount) into the seam of the joint. Get things to a point where the
parts can rotate against each other. Tension carefully to pull apart. More wd-40. Repeat.

M