The Chieftains . . .tonight on PBS

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mamakash
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Chieftains . . .tonight on PBS

Post by mamakash »

Check your local listings, for I think it will be airing on more than one PBS station. In the New Jersey viewing area, it will be on NJN from 8pm to 9:30.
I caught the announcment on the TV "guide" channel. It's supposedly a shorter version of their upcoming DVD release.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

In the Washington DC area, Channel 26 will have "The Chieftains: Down The Old Plank Road" on Sunday, June 22 at 8p.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
LimuHead
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

I'm hoping to catch it this evening too. Maybe even record it. I bought the CD from Amazon and am still waiting for delivery....... :D
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
morgan

Post by morgan »

In the Dayton, Ohio, area it will be on channel 16.

Chieftans: Yaaaaaaaay!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

PBS affiliates tend to vary as to when they air programs, but it isn't scheduled for tonight on the Oklahoma statewide PBS affiliate, OETA. Tonight they have scheduled, "Dance in America: From Broadway: Fosse." I checked the schedule through the 17th of June, and didn't find it. Perhaps it already aired.
LimuHead
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

I'm bummed! (The American 'bummed', not the English one.) :( It's not showing on any of the channels we get. Oh well, I was planning on buying the DVD anyway! :D
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

It came on here in San Jose on Sunday night on channel 54...but the sound on the channel malfunctioned and was silent. I was sooooooo frustrated. All the other channels had normal sound on my tv, but not the Chieftains! Grrrrr.....
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

It was on here (Maryland PTV) last night. I greatly enjoyed it, although the Chieftains were not prominent through much of it. The feeling I came away with: I just can't understand why country fans are moving away from "traditional" or "standard" country in favor of thinly disguised rock music such as Garth Brooks et al. The people in this show were all talented, played and sang wonderfully, straight from the heart and soul.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

Pooh! I asked my dad to tape it while I was out, and when I got home he was like, "I THINK I got what you wanted.. you said Chieftains of the Sand, right?" Me: "Wha??" Turns out my phone was staticky, and he thought I was talking about a program about Egyptian kings on the Discovery channel, airing at the same time. :roll: To add to that, the Chieftains program wasn't on at all! Stupid Trad-resisters... they shall be assimilated...
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I saw it here in Maryland last night on 22. I also agree on the modern trends in "country music". Fortunately there are some that still play traditional bluegrass. I was trying to determine if this was bluegrass with Irish instruments or Irish Nashville style. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have the Another Country CD which is similar. My wife wanted to know why my fingers aren't as fast as Paddy Maloney's (The apostrophe is just for Jerry). I have always noted how many of the "old time" country tunes are so much like Irish tunes. Some of them almost identical. We need more shows like this one. I would like to see one that featured only the Chieftains.
Ron (also Bluegrass enthusiast)
fatveg

Post by fatveg »

Oregonians: This will be on OPB 6/7 at 8:30pm and 6/8 at 6:00pm.

Tivo is set...
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Actually, bay areans, they'll be on channel 60 tomorrow night!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

fatveg wrote:Oregonians: This will be on OPB 6/7 at 8:30pm and 6/8 at 6:00pm.
Chieftains: Down The Old Plank Road

Showings

Sat, Jun 7 at 8:30 pm In September 2002, a once-in-a-lifetime concert was filmed at Nashville's historic Ryman Auditorium. Pairing top country and bluegrass stars with the legendary Irish band, the Chieftains, this event celebrates the ties that bind Ireland's enduring musical heritage to the heartland of America.
Sun, Jun 8 at 6:00 pm

Here's the link:
http://www.opb.org/schedule/tv/program. ... ank%20Road
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Interesting that Paddy Moloney never played a Generation whistle during that show... only a couple of Sindts and a Burke composite.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits