Calum Stewart flute on Wooden Flute and Fiddle ?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gromit

Calum Stewart flute on Wooden Flute and Fiddle ?

Post by Gromit »

Can anyone tell me which make of flute that Calum Stewart plays on the excellent Wooden Flute and Fiddle album with Lauren McCall?

Thanks
Flutern
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Re: Calum Stewart flute on Wooden Flute and Fiddle ?

Post by Flutern »

Stéphane Morvan :)
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Thanks for the info.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

What a fantastic album. I just got it a few months ago, and listen to it all the time, along with learning to play Aileen's slow jig and Crow Road Croft.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I agree, a great album and those two tunes are beautiful.
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

Calum Stewart has become one of my favorites. His music has introduced me to a range of folk music and his playing is awe inspiring. What a talent—years of hard work, I’m sure.
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

By the way, does he still play the flute? On his website, he introduces himself as a piper, there's hardly any mention of the flute :-?
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Unfortunately I don't think he plays the flute anymore. What a shame. At least that is what I have read on this forum.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

His last album "Tales from the North" was in 2107 unless I missed something more recent, and three of the ten tunes on it were on flute.

He might follow that format on his next album project (if there is one), throwing in a few flute tunes just for variety. An album of only pipe tunes probably reaches a narrower audience of non-musicians. I'm just guessing here, I have no idea what he's been playing recently.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Conical bore wrote:His last album "Tales from the North" was in 2107 unless I missed something more recent
Hard to get something more recent than that.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

benhall.1 wrote:
Conical bore wrote:His last album "Tales from the North" was in 2107 unless I missed something more recent
Hard to get something more recent than that.
Since, unlike CB, I don't have a time-machine, I hope I get to live long enough to hear it! They say life-extending drugs could come in the next 20 years, so it's possible...
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

I really wish fumble finger typing worked as a time machine! Boy, the things I would fix in this world. Anyway, let's all keep hoping for Calum to play at least a little flute on the next one, whenever it is.
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

From Calum's last album, I believe the 3 of the 10 were played on his whistle and not the flute. I'll double check.

I would hope Calum hasn't moved on from his flute and that we have future flute work from him. It seems Seamus Egan also transitioned away from his flute to his stringed instruments. I wonder what drives that change. Two fabulously intriguing flute players!

I'm sure the pipe players (and strings, in Egan's case) are saying, "Sure glad Calum is recording more piping tunes!"
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

BKWeid wrote:I wonder what drives that change.
IIRC, in Egan's case it was health-related, but I've forgotten why.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

BKWeid wrote: It seems Seamus Egan also transitioned away from his flute to his stringed instruments.
True, but I still listen to a lot of his flute music, both with Solas and his solo albums. And although he doesn't play flute on it (just a bit of whistle), IMO 'Early Bright' is absolutely a work of art.