Signs of locked down life during the pandemic

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Signs of locked down life during the pandemic

Post by Nanohedron »

Katharine wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Mr.Gumby wrote:'I must not tell lies'

:P
Hmmmm. That's a rather strange bit of personal info, considering. :-?
It's from Harry Potter.
Aha. That might explain the redness underneath the writing, then - all the more evocative of that source (which I had forgotten). I still find it an odd choice, though.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

This morning I found myself on Cappagh Pier near Kilrush, somewhere in between getting stuff at the supermarkets and a walk in the woods and garden of the old Vandeleur estate (it was a lovely morning, time to be out).

On the pier was another cache of the, for want of a better name, lockdown stones. Perhaps more the effort of local children. Here are a few snaps. One of the stones in the last pic has a depiction of Scattery island that lays nearby, out on the Shannon.

ImageImageImageImage Image Image
My brain hurts

Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Mr.Gumby wrote: :lol: On the pier was another cache of the, for want of a better name, lockdown stones. Perhaps more the effort of local children.
"Lockdown stones" is an ideal name. And if those were the work of local children, a couple of them seem to have artistic chops. Thanks again for sharing!
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Nanohedron wrote: Aha. That might explain the redness underneath the writing, then - all the more evocative of that source (which I had forgotten). I still find it an odd choice, though.
I do, too, but at least you have the context now. :)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Katharine wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: Aha. That might explain the redness underneath the writing, then - all the more evocative of that source (which I had forgotten). I still find it an odd choice, though.
I do, too, but at least you have the context now. :)
Apropos of nothing: I'm not a violent sort, but even though Dolores Umbridge is already in a hell of her own making, she still makes me want to use her as a piñata.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

"Lockdown stones" is an ideal name.
I found another cache this morning that had a different angle, and a different name:

After waking up in a headspace that required some lifeaffirming watching big waves roll in while standing on a high cliff with a breeze blowing the cobwebs away, I found myself in Kilkee at noon. At the start of the cliffwalk there was another batch of stones, aiming for the inspirational rather than the artistic.

Between showers it was a lovely clear morning, there was hardly anyone about (saw less than ten people during the hour or so I spent walking) and the mood lifted.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

With a nod to the earlier Harry Potter theme, the statue of Richard Harris, who had a house in Kilkee where he spent a lot of time in pre-Dumbledore days, had been given proper attire (much like statues the world over).

The whole country went under 'level three' restrictions yesterday, with a full lockdown looming once again.

On the way home we passed a golfcourse, looking windswept and empty. The owner caught the virus.
My brain hurts

Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Watching big waves roll in while standing on a high cliff...
I can't do anything of that sort without taking a road trip. Standing the shores of Lake Erie, Lake St. Clair, or the Detroit River is about as close as I'll get.

"Positivity Rocks," replete with a double meaning, is also a very fitting name. Thanks again for sharing them.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I can't do anything of that sort without taking a road trip.
Coastline is one thing we have handy and some of it of it steep and high enough. I can see the ocean from my kitchen, well just about. This is all more or less within spitting distance :

Image Image Image Image

Good spots to clear the mind.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Thank, you, Peter. The coastline is much like the Oregon Coast. Love the ´Sea Stacks´.
´the owner caught the virus´ is another reminder to stay safe, wear a mask, and maintain social distancing. . .

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

´the owner caught the virus´ is another reminder to stay safe, wear a mask, and maintain social distancing. . .
Well, we all know how he goes about that, don't we? :D
My brain hurts

Dan A.

Post by Dan A. »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Good spots to clear the mind.
I have precious little of that within a comfortable driving distance. You are most fortunate!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I am not sure this is still entertaining for anyone but myself but I'll add a few more batches of images.

The National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) has strongly uirged the government to raise the whole country to level 5 restrictions for six weeks, effectively asking for a second lockdown. That may or may not happen in the next few days. Not a great outlook but something needs to be done. Anyhow, rather than doing a run for the shops (although in fairness I had a load of firewood delivered this morning, just in case) it was time to go out for a whileand clear the head before this kicks off.

I retraced my steps to the location of the original posts of this thread and found loads of new additions to what is now a community 'art wall'. I add a few here with some more to come:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Just up the road from the seawall the Wild Atlantic Seaweed Baths had set up shop. They're an outfit travelling to different locations around the coast, offering (obviously) seaweed baths. Joined the cancellation list for tomorrow (they were booked out).

Image Image
My brain hurts

DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I am not sure this is still entertaining for anyone but myself but I'll add a few more batches of images.
I for one enjoy the images you post. You live in a lovely spot, and I appreciate your sharing it. Thanks.

Solar cuan system? As a non speaker am I missing something here?

Phill
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Good to hear someone ios looking and taking away something from all this. Cuán is a harbour, sheltered place, as far as I know (with very limited knowledge and store of the few words).

Here is another instalment:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
My brain hurts

ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I too always enjoy the photos Peter. Thank you for sharing. Be well.