Interesting old flute playing image

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Interesting old flute playing image

Post by Terry McGee »

Received today an image from the Bursar of Kimbolton School, in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, England. It's from a mural painted by c1708 by Giovanni Antonio Pellegrini. The Bursar was interested that the flute player was left handed, but, as I pointed out, so is the oboe player!

In those days, you could approach the flute or oboe from either hand. Even later, in the baroque, you could manage either way. It was only in the 19th century that options became sharply limited.

But what also interested me was the flute-player's hold and stance. Flute head end supported on shoulder, top thumb up-hill from rest of hand, what we might today call piper's grip!

Note also the ornamental turnings on head and foot of the flute. This appears to be Hotteterre's flute. The dates would work.

Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Re: Interesting old flute playing image

Post by Steve Bliven »

Terry McGee wrote:.....The Bursar was interested that the flute player was left handed, but, as I pointed out, so is the oboe player!

But what also interested me was the flute-player's hold and stance. Flute head end supported on shoulder, top thumb up-hill from rest of hand, what we might today call piper's grip!
I'm confused. The attached picture doesn't seem to show the flute head end supported on the shoulder, the player being left handed, or the thumb "up-hill" from the rest of the hand.

Or are things reversed when sent from down under?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Geoffrey Ellis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

I couldn't really see past that impressive hair (undoubtedly a wig, but I've always been fascinated by the fact that men used to wear wigs of various designs--what the heck was that all about?). But I do think this is not the image Terry intended to upload.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Steve Bliven wrote: I'm confused. The attached picture doesn't seem to show the flute head end supported on the shoulder, the player being left handed, or the thumb "up-hill" from the rest of the hand.
The 1st photo (3 musicians not sure what the 4th guy is doing) does show that. The 2nd, larger photo, is a right-hander.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Hmmmm...first photo is not displayed when I look for it.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Geoffrey Ellis wrote:Hmmmm...first photo is not displayed when I look for it.
Maybe blocked by your browser? Image is from Google:

Code: Select all

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/1xu5fJXFsLfKrhfUVTM6H79k6woH0vwopyKdNz69BDXMRg7mc6SBZ7g_OjCdhLh91OPEZivRwMGctenaLjIqDsM_DW6QWtAdkV3bpQ56IDLhK7oEGLM[/img]
I see it fine. Here it is, as a link, which also works for me, may not for you:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... DLhK7oEGLM
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Geoffrey Ellis

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

kkrell wrote:
Geoffrey Ellis wrote:Hmmmm...first photo is not displayed when I look for it.
Maybe blocked by your browser? Image is from Google:

Code: Select all

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/1xu5fJXFsLfKrhfUVTM6H79k6woH0vwopyKdNz69BDXMRg7mc6SBZ7g_OjCdhLh91OPEZivRwMGctenaLjIqDsM_DW6QWtAdkV3bpQ56IDLhK7oEGLM[/img]
I see it fine. Here it is, as a link, which also works for me, may not for you:
Certainly something is blocking it! I tried on several different browsers and I followed your link, but none will display. C'est la vie! I still like the guy in the wig.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

kkrell wrote:I see it fine. Here it is, as a link, which also works for me, may not for you:
Weird, I get a Google error on that link: "Your client does not have permission to get URL... Forbidden That’s all we know."
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Censorship!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Conical bore wrote:Weird, I get a Google error on that link: "Your client does not have permission to get URL... Forbidden That’s all we know."
Likewise.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Geoffrey Ellis wrote:I couldn't really see past that impressive hair (undoubtedly a wig, but I've always been fascinated by the fact that men used to wear wigs of various designs--what the heck was that all about?). But I do think this is not the image Terry intended to upload.

A standard argument is that it was about lice/other parasite control and status. Ordinary people wore their own hair and scratched.

I'm not 100% sure I by the lice/flea thing. I think it might be "insane fashion," like having your pants falling down
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Hmmmm...first photo is not displayed when I look for it.
Image is easily found online:

My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Thanks, Mr.Gumby.

I'm pretty sure the following Medieval pic's been posted here before:

All else aside, one is left to wonder whether the positioning of the flutes pictured is an accurate depiction of trends of the period, or an indifferent artist's license.

In the other painting (Baroque, I believe?), the artist has clearly drawn on having directly observed at least one flute player from life: The idiosyncratic method of resting the flute on the shoulder is too realistic to suggest otherwise, for it's a topic that fluteplayers know and return to from time to time. The "up-hill" thumb mirrors my own grip, so that's more verité. But as to the left-handedness? It could have been observed, but it's also possible it was chosen here to better serve the visual composition. And then there's that pesky oboe to cast even more doubts: What are the odds of two southpaws in one frame? An artist's unconscious bias when confronted with the marginally known? I can't even begin to address the believability of the oboist's fingering technique; that's way out of my realm.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Nanohedron wrote:All else aside, one is left to wonder whether the positioning of the flutes pictured is an accurate depiction of trends of the period, or an indifferent artist's license.
They left out the speech bubble, the guy on the right is calling the next tune. I guess it is artist's licence but most of us must have twisted out heads 90 degrees to talk to the person on our right.

(and it's an early Zoom session)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Pints on the bench would anchor the scene better.