Waaay OT: Food for International Day at school

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Waaay OT: Food for International Day at school

Post by Redwolf »

This is about as off-topic as you can get, but I need help in a bad way, and people here seem to like to eat, so, here goes:

International Day at school is this Friday. The kids are supposed to wear a costume and bring a dish to share from some culture that makes up their individual heritage. Well, I'm mostly English and Irish and my hubby's German. Our daughter chose to focus on Ireland. So far, so good...we had planned to make soda bread or something like that. Unfortunately, today I got an email from the school begging people to bring "main dishes" or "protein dishes" because they already have enough "bread and sides". We're vegetarians...what in the heck could we make that would be a main dish, Irish, English or German, that wouldn't gross me right out of my kitchen? None of these are exactly vegetarian cultures. Any thoughts out there? I'm desperate!

Thanks,

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

My favorite dish that might fit your needs is colcannon (spelling). It is mashed potatoes with boiled cabbage and green onions mixed in. The recipe can be found on the food network website. I will eat a LARGE portion as my only dish for a meal. I am sure you will get better sugestions but this would work.
Ron
fatveg

Re: Waaay OT: Food for International Day at school

Post by fatveg »

Redwolf wrote:This is about as off-topic as you can get, but I need help in a bad way, and people here seem to like to eat, so, here goes:

International Day at school is this Friday. The kids are supposed to wear a costume and bring a dish to share from some culture that makes up their individual heritage. Well, I'm mostly English and Irish and my hubby's German. Our daughter chose to focus on Ireland. So far, so good...we had planned to make soda bread or something like that. Unfortunately, today I got an email from the school begging people to bring "main dishes" or "protein dishes" because they already have enough "bread and sides". We're vegetarians...what in the heck could we make that would be a main dish, Irish, English or German, that wouldn't gross me right out of my kitchen? None of these are exactly vegetarian cultures. Any thoughts out there? I'm desperate!

Thanks,

Redwolf
Well, Germany only has two dishes, "Fleische" and "Fleische Mit Sauce". Hmmm. Best time for Veges to be in Germany is during White Asparagus season, when the serve fantastic Asparagus in a heart-attack sauce -- yummy, but doesn't help you.

I like Irish Potato Pie if its made without ham (Keine Fleische -- no wait, wrong country) (note there are sweet versions of this too, but I've never had that). I also LOVE boxty.

I'm English, and a vege, so you would have thought that I could help, wouldn't you? Marmite Sandwiches? Chips with Curry Sauce?

I would recommend making a big Yorkshire Pudding and serve with a Rich Onion Gravy. Very traditionally English (although it would normally be served with a meat gravy, but to be honest you probably have an onion Gravy recipie that most people wouldn't notice as any different). I make Onion gravy with reduced onions, chopped mushroom and sherry. Yum.
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>
Jack

Post by Jack »

This is about as off-topic as you can get, but I need help in a bad way, and people here seem to like to eat, so, here goes:
I hate eating. It makes me feel like a worthless fat slob pig whore who deserves to die because I'm out of control and worthless.

Anyway, bread can be your main dish. Who's to say it can't?
fatveg

Post by fatveg »

It's not Vegan, but for truly English cuisine you can't get better than this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/2958702.stm

I just wish it were available in the US!
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>
Tom Dowling
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

You might consider the noble potato latke (aka potato pancake), accompanied by sour cream and apple sauce (in separate bowls). We typically 'step on' the packaged mixes with an equal amount of shredded taters, making sure to grate in just a little knuckle skin for that down home flavor, and maybe cutting back a little on the water to compensate for the water in the real potatoes. Knocks 'em dead every time. They 'nuke up' reasonably well. Make 'em smallish to increase the crisp to core ratio and the kids (of all ages) will love 'em.

Just a thought,

Tom D,
"The G-Rolling Gourmet"
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I once had a Philipino food called (I think) Lupas ???

It was sort of like a mini egg roll without the cabbage. Oh well. It was good.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Perogis are one of my favorites. They are Eastern European ravioli-like things with cheese or meat inside. After you cook them in boiling water they are fried with lots of onions and garlic if you like it. They are luscious and the cheese perogis make a great vegetarian meal. If you don't want the cheese the perogis can be stuffed with spinach, etc. Perogis are a favorite dish in Cleveland where we have large numbers of Polish, Czech, Slovak and Ukranian immigrants. Ad them to a good kolbasi and you have a meal fit for a king!
Mike
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Thanks for the ideas, folks! One of the issues I'm dealing with (and which I think the school is just going to have to deal with!) is that what I would consider a main dish is considered by them to be a "side" because, in their minds, a main dish either contains meat or a meat substitute...grrr! The other is that the dish HAS to be from some place with which we claim some ethnic ties, so alas no pierogies (I love them too!). We might be able to get away with latkes, but I think a Jewish friend of mine is bringing those. Perhaps we'll try colcannon (that's the same as bubble and squeak, yes?).

Ah...the joys of parenting! ;)

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
skh

Post by skh »

fatveg wrote: Well, Germany only has two dishes, "Fleische" and "Fleische Mit Sauce".
Yes, and americans only eat cheeseburgers and hamburgers. (And it's "Fleisch", btw).

Redwolf: Ireland is a poor country, or has been for a very long time in history. I'd guess that meat-free dishes, if for other reasons than yours, were rather the rule on the majority of tables there.

Sonja
Shut up and play.
fatveg

Post by fatveg »

skh wrote:
fatveg wrote: Well, Germany only has two dishes, "Fleische" and "Fleische Mit Sauce".
Yes, and americans only eat cheeseburgers and hamburgers. (And it's "Fleisch", btw).

Sonja
Tried to send this by PM, but the board barfed:

Sorry if I offended, it was meant as a joke. Germany is a notoriously difficult place for vegetarians (but as I said, I love the white asparagus...).

But I'm English, so I guess I'm in no position to make jokes about other countries' cuisine!

FV
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

I'd say send what you want to send, Red. You're not feeding the queen here, just midgets. Chances are, they care little about what's considered a main course or an appetizer, but only what looks yummy!! Sadly, some will overlook perfectly good food simply because they don't recognize it.

Good luck. :)

Jef
PS How about a batch of cupcakes, each one with a little flag on top?! Cupcakes....breakfast of champions the world over.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I'd say send what you want to send, Red. You're not feeding the queen here, just midgets.
You must mean children...
skh

Post by skh »

fatveg wrote: Sorry if I offended, it was meant as a joke. Germany is a notoriously difficult place for vegetarians (but as I said, I love the white asparagus...).
Nah, not really offended, and at least you didn't mention Sauerkraut (which is fine for vegetarians, but maybe not for vegans, I don't know what is used to start the "souring" process). And we have lots of non-carnivores here as well.

I'm probably just tired of stereotypes, and hope I didn't offend in turn.

Sonja
Shut up and play.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I've never tried frying my Perogis. Must try it. With LOTS of garlic.
Oh yeah.
In fact I've probably never eaten 'real' perogis. Just the store bought variety.
I eat so much garlic that a vampire could never get near me.