OT: Need help finding a music-notation computer program.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

OT: Need help finding a music-notation computer program.

Post by Doc Jones »

Hi Gang,

I have a daughter who is something of a musical genius (honestly) and is doing a lot of composing.

Currently she is "drawing" all her musical scores using Adobe illustrator :boggle:

Anyway, there must surely be a better way. Does anyone know of a computer program that makes it easy to "write" musical notation?

Better yet, is there a program that can transcribe a midi file into written music?

Thanks much,

Doc
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Hi Doc

www.codamusic.com has Finale Notepad. It's very easy to work with and there's a free version. You do have to register before downloading. Also when you use it you have to put up with "UPGRADE NOW" messages but otherwise it's very nice.

Some others are Cakewalk. I don't particularly like it's staff editing features. I still haven't found out how to make it do repeats, slurs or ties.

There are others. Try searching for music notation software on the web.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
pthouron
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by pthouron »

Doc,

Codamusic also offers Finale, which seems to be a standard. It is not cheap and might be a bit of an overkill for your daughter's needs, but who knows what a musical genius may need next week?

Here is a link: http://www.codamusic.com/finale/

Good Luck!

Patrick
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

www.AnvilStudio.com

Has a FREE Midi program that lets a user work with MIDIs. The price is right for getting a feel for it.

The "Print sheet" option costs $29.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

I use both of the programs mentioned above and I think they are great, the best you can get without paying too much. But if I had any musical genius I would probably go ahead and buy something like Sibelius.
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Sibelius and Fianle are both exceptional programs...

I don't have either, but a couple I know who are professional musicians, composers, and teachers use Finale, and I have used Notepad. I have also used Sibelius, and I really like it.

Pros of Sibelius and Finale:
You can play music into it (single tones in a microphone or keyboard hooked direct to computer)

Time Sig's and Key Sig's can change in middle of song

Both can do 10s of parts at once (I think around 100)

Cons:
Notepad doesn't allow different time or key in one song

Both can be hard to enter notes, until you get the hang of it. Point and click isn't all that easy. Especially of you aren't too steady. (ie unlike playing, drinking does not improve the composition)

But I believe both full versions allow for keyboard entry...

I still think that if neatness isn't important writing by hand is easiest, but you can't beat the programs for neatness and FAST EASY transposition. (and if you play french horn this is nice... It is good too, if you have music in Bb and want it in D... like for a whistle)

If your daughter is just doing simple music (like no more than 8 parts, no key and time changes, and no perc... long story) than Notepad is the best, with a price that can't be beat ($0)

Nico Moreno

PS I just finished my last year of high school last year, in which I used Notepad for a transcription of a SATB choir piece called In Remembrance.
I had something like 12 parts. I used Notepad for a lot of it, but I had to write out everything to hand it in...
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

FWIW, Anvil allow you to change the key and time. Not sure if it allow you to change keys in mid-tune.

Perhaps Dale, in his Solomonic wisdom, will download each and and pass judgement, or something? :)
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

My favorite Music Notation Program: Mozart Music Notation Processor
Parkwood

Post by Parkwood »

Just to add that Sibelius may offer an substantial educational discount. It's worth giving them a ring to see what they can do for you.

I teach at a Sixth Form College in the UK and we have a 30 site licence, soon to be extended to 42. It is a pretty simple program to use. You can also import MIDI files with a fair degree of success.

Barry
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

www.AnvilStudio.com

Has a FREE Midi program that lets a user work with MIDIs. The price is right for getting a feel for it.

The "Print sheet" option costs $29.
So you can't print it without Print Sheet?
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Correct. I dont have a need to print so it is a non-issue for me.
There are a number of $$ add-ons that Anvil offers. I am happy with the free stuff.
Lark

Post by Lark »

geek4music wrote: So you can't print it without Print Sheet?
What I do with Anvil is to press the “Print Scrn” button, then paste that in Paint, cut out what I want, and put that together as a BMP file. It’s a little time consuming, but if you don’t want to have to pay anything, it works :-)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Noteworthy Composer is pretty decent, as shareware music composition software goes. It also will save as MIDI files, and allow you to edit MIDI.
turtleneck

Post by turtleneck »

How compatible are any of the above mentioned programs with ABC format? I find that most programs that offer ABC support have really awful (or just absent) user interfaces: abc2win, abc2ps, yaps. They're great and all, but my ABC skills aren't quite perfected yet and I need to see the output every couple of bars to make sure I'm doing it right. I'd be interested in a program that could support ABC <i>and</I> be easy to use.
Jetboy

MUSICAL NOTATION

Post by Jetboy »

Have you tried Cakewalk?

Works a treat with ABC and allows multitrack composing. Accepts all midi formats and midi input devices.