Low Whistles differences

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Which Low whistle

Chieftain (Phil Hardy)
17%
Cillian O'Briain
9%
Overton
57%
Alba
17%

Total votes: 23

Nicolas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Low Whistles differences

Post by Nicolas »

Hi there,
I'm planning to buy a metal low whistle and I've got 4 possibilities :
Cillian O'Briain, Phyl Hardy (Chieftain), Overton, Alba

Could you tell me your experiences about which to choose (regardless of key and tuneable or not) .

I've read Chieftain are the less air demanding so I guess they are the more responsiveness ... am I silly to say that ? ;)

Thanks for your feedback,
Cheers,
Nicolas.
DCrom
antispam: No

Re: Low Whistles differences

Post by DCrom »

Nicolas wrote:Hi there,
I've read Chieftain are the less air demanding so I guess they are the more responsiveness ... am I silly to say that ? ;)

Thanks for your feedback,
Cheers,
Nicolas.
Nicolas, I have too little exposure to the makes of low whistle you mention to help you there, but I can tell you that my Dixon Low D has extremely low air requirements (low register E and D require careful breath control because of this!) but it isn't particularly "responsive" - though a wonderful whistle for airs and some jigs (if they avoid the lowest notes), it doesn't work well for fast tunes.

Though "air demand" and "responsive" are related, they don't map 1 : 1, at least for me.

My tuppence worth,
Dana
nickt

Post by nickt »

Nicolas - definitely silly to say that! I noticed little difference, but if any, the Overton takes less air. It's also by far the best of the four you mention.
Remember not to forget. Now, why am I here?
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

I have been blowing into a Chieftain for a year or so. The breathing requirements are not demanding; I can hit an E in the 3rd octave with little effort and dont have to sneak up on the low D to hit it cleanly.

I like it and think its fun to play when I am in the mood.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

I have an Overton, and a Chieftain, and they are both great whistles, but
the Overton is the one that gets played most often.

From cold, the Chieftain takes just that bit longer to settle in, flubbing up worse that the Overton. Also, there is an annoying buzz on the bottom note of the Chieftain until it has warmed up properly.

Having said that, my Kerry Pro - which isn't made any more - is my favourite favourite :)
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

I have a Chieftain Low G, an Alba Low D and a Dixon Low D. My favorite is easily the Alba Low D. I do like the sound of the Chieftain, but its air requirements are higher than the Alba Low D. The Dixon has EXTREMELY low air requirements, to the point that I can't get used to it so far.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Overton, Overton, Overton, Overton. You will find people who say that the Chieftain is almost as good, but why bother, if you are going to spend the money anyhow? I don't know the O'Briains or Albas (yet).
/Bloomfield
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Easily_Deluded_Fool wrote:...From cold, the Chieftain takes just that bit longer to settle in...
I cant argue with the Easily Deluded One on that. The Chieftain I have does take a good few minutes of playing. Not something you just want to pull out of a sack and start playing solos at weddings.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Hi Nick,
Of the four makes that you enquire about,I have experience of a Chieftain low D,and Overtons in low G (by Bernard) and F (by Colin Goldie).
Firstly the Chieftain.I think that this is a good whistle for the money.Air requirements aren't bad,it's in tune and general playability is fine.It's a factory made instrument,and has a functional simplicity.
Both of the Overtons have a bit of chiff to them,and have a punchier sound than the Chieftain, but require a lot more in the way of breath control,especially in the notes above 2nd octave 'G'.As they are hand built instruments,if you are buying direct from either Bernard or Colin,you can indicate the playing characteristics that you desire and either maker will try to accomodate you,though your whistle will still have that 'Overton sound'
The finish on my 'Bernard' is overall very good,though the mouthpiece is cut a bit squint,though this doesn't affect it's playing qualities,and even adds to the 'hand made by Bernard Overton' character of the whistle(I got it direct from the man himself :) ).
My Goldie 'F' features a 'high polish' finish which looks great!,though this doesn't make the whistle too slippery to comfortably play.
All three whistles,being made of Aluminium,require to be thoroughly 'warmed up' to play at their best.
My personal favourite low whistle is my Copeland low D-though this cost considerably more than the others(I ordered it around Christmas time,and was suffering from advanced chronic Whoa! :wink: ).
P.S. - I've just noticed that NOT one of us will actually COMMIT OURSELVES to a poll vote! :o Though of course,it looks like no-one so far has experience of all four names you ask about.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

ok, Many thanks for your feedback ... after reading many things all over the net it seems that Overton is really the way to go ;)

One question though, what are the differences between small and large bore for a given key ?

Cheers,

Nicolas.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Ask Colin that question when you order.
/Bloomfield
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Not sure why you're omitting the Copeland, but:

Chieftain - Never played a Low D, but based on experience with other keys (soprano D, C, Low G, F), have found them inferior to and less consistent than Overtons generally.

Overton - I once had the full line, including a non-tuneable Low D. This is a matter of personal taste. They are great whistles, relatively consistent in quality, Colin and Briggitte are great to deal with, but I just went another way in terms of tonal qualities. Some say they're hard to play especially in upper octave, but I never found that to be the case.

Alba - No experience with Low D. Early soprano Ds could leave you brain dead from air deprivation, but current reviews all seem positive, esp. of the Low D. Really beautiful looking whistles.

O'Briain - I did a review (probably too in-depth) some time ago. I have both a non-tuneable Low F and the tuneable Low D. Lately, I've been remarking that the Low D sounds a lot like my much-revered Copeland. I love the appearance (war club chic) - gun grey matte finish. Great sound in both octaves. A little lighter than the brass Copeland, but because it is not conical and has larger fingerholes, it is a bit more difficult to wield. Air requirements are unremarkable IMHO. I like both of mine.

Uh, OK, that probably didn't help much. Bottom line: Can't go wrong with Overton or O'Briain IMHO.
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I just played a Alba Low D (a new one) last night. I'll do a bit of a review soon, but my first impression was very good. Very full, round sound: interesting and earthy. While the fullness of the sound was comparable to that of an Overton, it plays very differently because there is little or no airpressure. But the Alba doesn't take huge amounts of air to play, it's just that the air flows through the whistle, and does not have to be pushed through. I look forward to getting to know the Alba low D better.
/Bloomfield