Sindt Whistle Waiting Times

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
qaantar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a long-time musician, grew up with piano, recorder, electric bass. Now I've picked up the tin whistle and have been exploring Irish music.

Re: Sindt Whistle Waiting Times

Post by qaantar »

I ordered an A whistle a couple months ago, and received it a few weeks back!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I have led a number of people astray on that one. If all is well he will get back to you. Try again after a week or so if you do not hear from him.

Sindtwhistle@aol.com
You may be doing it again, by using a capital letter. :wink:
My brain hurts

kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
I have led a number of people astray on that one. If all is well he will get back to you. Try again after a week or so if you do not hear from him.

Sindtwhistle@aol.com
You may be doing it again, by using a capital letter. :wink:
No, capitalization is not significant in email addresses nor URLs.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

emmdee wrote:
gbyrne wrote: I am not expecting the C# to see a lot of action...
Oooh, I have a C# Burke. If we ever rock up in the same pub we can have a few tunes - just the two of us.
The three of us!

Mine is a super-cheap Frankenwhistle, though it plays nicely.

I actually have had to use that whistle at gigs from time to time.

There was one gig where that was the only whistle I used! Crazy.

Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
CPA
Tell us something.: I like descant recorder and treble recorder in classical music and so I like tin whistle and low whistle in folk music.

Post by CPA »

busterbill wrote:I know a couple of friends who ordered and received whistles in February 2020.

The best thing is to contact Mr. Sindt. and make sure you don't put in the pural "whistles" in his address. I have led a number of people astray on that one. If all is well he will get back to you. Try again after a week or so if you do not hear from him.

Sindtwhistle@aol.com
Thanks!

John Sindt has already answered me: he told me that I am in the queue. But a friend of mine told me that John Sindt is dead, so I got worried. "Who is answering me, really?" I asked myself. Did my friend make a bad joke on me?
If John Sindt is alive and I've been in the queue for a week, when can I ask for information? In a month? In two months? I don't want to pester John! Do you know how long waiting times are?

Thanks again!

CPA
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

He's alive and well. Not so long ago Nick Metcalf met him at a festival (before the 'rona hit) and he looked way younger than his age on the pictures that Nick posted on FB. I wouldn't bother him however. Just wait till you get the whistle. Maybe if it doesn't show up after 6 months ... But I think his waiting list is not that long at the moment.
CPA
Tell us something.: I like descant recorder and treble recorder in classical music and so I like tin whistle and low whistle in folk music.

Post by CPA »

Sedi wrote:He's alive and well. Not so long ago Nick Metcalf met him at a festival (before the 'rona hit) and he looked way younger than his age on the pictures that Nick posted on FB. I wouldn't bother him however. Just wait till you get the whistle. Maybe if it doesn't show up after 6 months ... But I think his waiting list is not that long at the moment.
Thank goodness! Excellent news! Thank you! I asked him for a D whistle, and Mr. John Sindt was very quick: he didn't tell me if he makes other whistles and their prices. Do you know anything more? There are no websites of him about his artisan activity (?), he is very often busy and should not be disturbed, he does not have a secretary for business contacts (?), nobody created a website about him and his whistles (?), ...
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

No website, no nothing. Just one man making whistles. I think he can make them ranging from Eb to Bb or maybe A. Not sure.
qaantar
Tell us something.: I'm a long-time musician, grew up with piano, recorder, electric bass. Now I've picked up the tin whistle and have been exploring Irish music.

Post by qaantar »

He'll go to A (that's what I just received), but not G... I did ask. :D
gbyrne
Tell us something.: I play whistle and flute. I started learning 3 years ago. I like this website and TheSession too. This should be enought for you to know I am not a weirdo spammer.

Post by gbyrne »

Sedi wrote:No website, no nothing. Just one man making whistles. I think he can make them ranging from Eb to Bb or maybe A. Not sure.
Yup - the range he does is (low) A/Bb/B/C/C#/D/Eb/E (high). My Low-A is sitting in Boston awaiting a trip to Ireland. Covid-19 has delayed its shipment so far.

I've a buddy who has a most exotic JS "D" - an experimental body in titanium - a reward for a visit to JS's workshop a couple of decades ago.
CPA

Post by CPA »

emmdee wrote:
gbyrne wrote:Yup... similar experience. Ordered Bb + B + C + D in July and they were delivered in September. Followed up in October with a C# to "fill the gap" in the set and it's arrived already.

5 whistles (Bb/B/C/C#/D) covers all keys within one sharp/flat of a whistle in the bag. I am not expecting the C# to see a lot of action :-)

JS's whistles are as sweet as ever and I'm thrilled to have a set that I never expected to be able to assemble. Beats the uncertainty of eBay auction prices ($250-350 typical) and unknown provenance/condition.
Oooh, I have a C# Burke. If we ever rock up in the same pub we can have a few tunes - just the two of us :)

m.d.
A few days ago I received the whistle I requested from Mr. Sindt. Everything good! He wrote me that now he makes whistles D and Eb and that he will do the others in a few months. I hope those months are very few. Meanwhile ... I'll wait! :)

CPA
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

CPA wrote: A few days ago I received the whistle I requested from Mr. Sindt. Everything good! He wrote me that now he makes whistles D and Eb and that he will do the others in a few months. I hope those months are very few. Meanwhile ... I'll wait! :)

CPA
Oh boy! I am on his order list for a couple of whistles. Looks like you ordered a few weeks before I did so hopefully with you getting your whistle that means my name is getting close to the top. Hopefully sometime in October I'll get them......
CPA

Post by CPA »

TxWhistler wrote:
CPA wrote: A few days ago I received the whistle I requested from Mr. Sindt. Everything good! He wrote me that now he makes whistles D and Eb and that he will do the others in a few months. I hope those months are very few. Meanwhile ... I'll wait! :)

CPA
Oh boy! I am on his order list for a couple of whistles. Looks like you ordered a few weeks before I did so hopefully with you getting your whistle that means my name is getting close to the top. Hopefully sometime in October I'll get them......
If they are a D and an Eb, most likely, otherwise your wait will be longer. However my position on the waiting list is always the same for other whistles by JS, so I'm still waiting.

CPA