Can someone help me identify a tune?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Desperado
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I care about Irish/Celtic Folk and Folk Rock / Prog Rock. I hope to finde people here that give me more insight into these topics.

Can someone help me identify a tune?

Post by Desperado »

Greetings,

I'm looking for a song that sounds similar to the piano section in the following song by the band Folque and was released around the same time ( 60s /70s ) but in that song the sequence was the central motive of the song and not just one section:

https://youtu.be/Dp2TuMi33v8?t=16

Can someone help me out? Thank you!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Can someone help me identify a tune?

Post by benhall.1 »

There is definitely something familiar about that. I have three candidates for bands, if that's any help - Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention and Pentangle, and I'm leaning towards it being Pentangle. If I have any more inspiration, I'll let you know ...
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Do you mean Steeleye Span's version of Alison Gross, or perhaps their version of Thomas the Rhymer, similar melody? The youtube clip you refer to is just the Danish band Folque's version of Alison Gross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFHeoqWkXa8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6qv4uswKDA
Desperado
Tell us something.: I care about Irish/Celtic Folk and Folk Rock / Prog Rock. I hope to finde people here that give me more insight into these topics.

Post by Desperado »

Ok, I shall reveal to you what I actually want:

I'm a video game music hunter. I take famous video game soundtracks, then try to find the musical genres that inspired them. Sometimes it happens that I find a tune that sounds as if it had been inspired by a very concrete piece of music that was released earlier. I document my findings in this blog:

https://www.destructoid.com/blogs/PhilsPhindings/

Now when I heard that particular section at that particular timestamp of Alison Gross I was strongly reminded of a particular tune from a famous videogame, this one:

https://youtu.be/oxZlJGtFGcw?t=16

Now I'm trying to find out whether there is a full song somewhere that sounds like this tune.

Thanks for your help.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

So, does the Steeley Span version fit the bill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzpVa0Suf28
Desperado

Post by Desperado »

Hmm, I think the Folque version is slightly better.

I heard several dozen english/scottish/irish folk tunes in the meantime. Don't hear a lot like Alison Gross.
Desperado

Post by Desperado »

Desperado

Post by Desperado »

Hello! It's me again after a long time! I have another song of irish/celtic origin that I cannot identify as it's instrumental. The song starting here:

https://youtu.be/plcXi6T2nkc?t=2535

Regards!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

Desperado

Post by Desperado »

Ornithology is not among my strenghts... :(
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

The Lark in the Morning. :)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

ALERT: Thread drift warning.
Desperado wrote:Ornithology is not among my strenghts... :(
That's all right; the peanut gallery's not doing so well, either, so introductions are in order. :wink:

The bird in the pic is a meadowlark - strictly a North American grassland genus (Sturnella), and unrelated to the true larks (Alauda). With one exception, the true larks are an Old World genus, generally smaller, and much plainer-looking. To the best of my knowledge the meadowlark hasn't yet emigrated across the Pond.

Linnaeus originally did include it among the true larks, but he changed his mind about it, and it's been that way ever since.

I grew up with with the Western Meadowlark, which is an emblematic sight (and sound) of the Great Plains. The Western has the most distinctive and melodious song among its genus. The Sioux are particularly fond of it, and among their westerly tribes it's sometimes called "the bird who speaks Lakota". If you hear it and it doesn't gladden your heart, you might not have one.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:The bird in the pic is a meadowlark - strictly a North American grassland genus (Sturnella), and unrelated to the true larks (Alauda).
Ah, I see. It was an inauthentic lark, then? :twisted:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:The bird in the pic is a meadowlark - strictly a North American grassland genus (Sturnella), and unrelated to the true larks (Alauda).
Ah, I see. It was an inauthentic lark, then? :twisted:
Far be it from me to play ornithological Trad Police, but owing to my close familiarity with it I just had to say something, or burst into a million pieces. Anyway, I've never heard it called "the bird who speaks Irish". :lol:

Let's just say it's a good bet that the composer didn't have a meadowlark in mind, and probably didn't even know they existed. :)

But you have to admit it does catch the eye better than this:

They sing differently, too; the skylark sings in morning flight, almost nonstop, whereas the meadowlark's song is short and more of a call, and they usually sing from a fencepost or the like, and throughout the day. Here's a vid of a skylark singing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJwceRqbwzA

It's easy to imagine how such a bird would have inspired the jig.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Out of interest, it appears to be only the males who sing. The complex song, performed while flying, has a very high energy cost, apparently, and is said to send an "honest signal" to the female as to the fitness and availability of the male. They sing from before dawn to after evening dusk.

The Eurasian skylark is also the only native species of lark in Ireland.

I just found that stuff on the RSPB site and a few others. Interesting birds.