CURRENT FAVORITE MUSIC

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

I am so out of the loop. I don't know who 90% of the people listed are. :P

Here are the other cds I've been listening to (but not actually in my cd player).

Tracey Chapman, the first one
Sinéad O'Connor, Troy Dance Remixes
Melanie C, Nothern Star
Silverchair, The Best Of
Fiona Apple, When The Pawn Hits The Conflict He Thinks Like A King What He Knows Throws The Blows When He Goes To The Fight & He'll Win The Whole Thing 'Fore He Enters The Ring There's No Body To Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo , You Hold Your Own Hand & Remember That Depth Is The Greatest Of Heights & If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where To Land & If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right
Melissa Etheridge, Breakdown
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

The CDs I've been listening to the most lately are Tommy People's new CD, which is rediculously beautiful, John Doyles album, and the albums with Noel Hill and Tony McMahon (one with Iarla Leonard as well). Good stuff.
Chris
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

colomon wrote:
Need to get more Newfoundland stuff into my listening cycle, so I'm ready for this summer's vacation....
If you want to check out Newfoundland music here is a good link: http://juke.cfog.net/index.htm . You can listen to entire albums on this site. Unfortunately there's nothing from the Navigators or the Fables, which are two of my favorites, but Fine Crowd is good (although they have since split up). There is also some good trad stuff on the Great Big Sea albums, although there is a lot of pop as well. Someday I'll make it up there...
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:The CDs I've been listening to the most lately are .... and the albums with Noel Hill and Tony McMahon (one with Iarla Leonard as well). Good stuff.
Chris
Good stuff indeed! I bought the album 'I gCnoc na Grai' by Noel Hill and Tony MacMahon,featuring Clare set dancers,recorded 'live' in a Pub (yaay! :) ) and it's great!
On the strength of that album,I just ordered 'Aislingi Ceoil' (the one featuring Iairla Leonard) this morning.
Other stuff currently filling my ears;
Ronan Browne - 'The Wynd you know'
Willie Clancy and Bobby Casey
John Docherty 'Bundle and Go'
Seamus Ennis - various recordings
assorted Uilleann Pipers
Professor Longhair 'Fess- the P.L. Anthology'
Elmore James 'The sky is crying'.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Rando7 wrote: If you want to check out Newfoundland music here is a good link: http://juke.cfog.net/index.htm . You can listen to entire albums on this site. Unfortunately there's nothing from the Navigators or the Fables, which are two of my favorites, but Fine Crowd is good (although they have since split up). There is also some good trad stuff on the Great Big Sea albums, although there is a lot of pop as well. Someday I'll make it up there...
Nice website. Now listening the Plankerdown Band album from it -- I learned a bunch of the album's tune sets last year, but I don't actually have my own copy.

As soon as I get around to it, I'm going to make a nice mix album with tunes from them, Rufus and Emile, Crowd of Bold Sharemen, Christina Smith, etc. Try to learn them all....
slowair

Re: Favorite Music Lately

Post by slowair »

A friend introduced me to a wonderful performer/composer by the name of Tim Janis. Calls Maine his home.

It's probably a bit New Age for many, but I love it. There are several of his songs that feature whistle.

I've got two of his albums, December Morning and Etain. Etain is music with definite Celtic flavor and actually has a story that goes with the collection of songs.

The whistle parts are very easy to learn by ear. The Chieftain's Daughter is very catchy.

Tim has a web site complete with samples....

http://www.timjanis.com/home.html

Enjoy
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I suppose everybody knows by now that I'm a cranky traditionalist (*Aw, Nano, say it ain't so*). If that's yer flavor, check out "The Maple Leaf". Mostly flute and fiddle w/ tasteful 'zouk/guitar/bodhrán backup, and some great bosca cheoil, too. I have been freaking out over the reels in this one! Mucho tuneage to be learned from a fine bunch of Bostonians. :party:
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

It's great to be back! :)

Anyway, some of my recent favorites are Kate Price, Heather Dale, and Blackmore's Night (and I've always liked Jethro Tull, Steeleye Span, and Clannad), so bring on the Ren music! Not to worry, though - I have NO plans to bail out on you guys and become a recorder purist! :lol: (Even though I have been giving my Susato wide-bore low F a pretty good workout lately.)

My weekend acquisitions include an Oak C whistle and three tunebook/CD combos: Celtic Music for Guitar (Allan Alexander), Ancient Noels (Maggie Sansone - mostly Renaissance Christmas tunes), and L.E. McCullough's whistle tutor. Hmm, which one should I start with? :roll:
Jack

Post by Jack »

I have NO plans to bail out on you guys and become a recorder purist! (Even though I have been giving my Susato wide-bore low F a pretty good workout lately.)
Susato wide-bore low F = not a recorder.
Flamman

Current Listening

Post by Flamman »

There Is A Reason ... Alison Krauss and Union Station
The Green Linnet ... PJ Crotty, Carol Cullinan, James Cullinan
Live in Concert in Ireland ... The 78th Fraser Highlanders Pipe Band
Absolutely anything by Gráinne Hambly
"Hang by your thumbs and write when you get work."
- Bob and Ray
Hoed

Post by Hoed »

Dervish - Spirit
(with autographs :))

Shantalla - Shantalla
(great band! a few demo tracks at www.shantalla.com)
"Ken sent me"
- Larry Laffer
TomB

Post by TomB »

Flook- both
Lunasa- Redwood
Louis McManus- with a hear and a hand
Laurence Nugent- The Windy Gap
Marc Anthony- Libre
James Taylor- October Road

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Recently I've been enjoying the simple (but elegant) whistle artistry of Harry Long in the companion CDs to Ireland's Best Tin Whistle Tunes.
pthouron

Re: CURRENT FAVORITE MUSIC

Post by pthouron »

Martin Milner wrote: I'm also listening to TPTestcard a lot, and I'm loving a track 'Paddy's Paradise' from Phil Hardy's 1st Album.
I was looking for TPTestcard over here, but it does not seem to be available on this side of the Atlantic.. :(
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Update on my earlier list. I just got a copy of Johhny Doran's CD, volume one in the Master pipers series. Everything else will just have to stand aside while I absorb this one—in my opinion uilleann piping doesn't get any better than this.