Olwell Cocus Keyless D Flute is now sold.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Olwell Cocus Keyless D Flute is now sold.

Post by Loren »

I'm putting my Olwell up for sale: It's Cocus, with silver rings and tuning slide, and although it is Patrick's large hole (Pratten) model flute, this one is somewhat unique in that I had Patrick make it "Rudall Style" with separate right and left hand sections, which I find significantly more comfortable to play as it allows you to rotate the sections separately for maximum hand/grip comfort. The flute is in top condition, plays fantastic and looks gorgeous. Unfortunately I'm not able to post a photo, although i have done so here in the past.

Financial hardship forces me to consider selling this wonderful instrument, but I will let it go if the price is right. The flute cost me $1600 (Cocus option was extra) plus an additional $65 or so for the Cavallaro Flute Roll Bag that I will include with the case - This is not the standard Cavallero Bag that Patrick includes, this one is a bit roomier and has an extra slot. I waited on Patrick's waiting list for over a year for this instrument.

Finding a used Cocus Olwell is nearly impossible, let alone one with separate right and left hand sections, so I'm asking $2200 OBO, plus shipping and any service charges related to accepting payment via PayPal. To make an offer, please send me an email at: LorenBookbindernofreakin'spam@hotmail.com You will of course need to remove the no freakin' spam stuff from the address. I will have sporadic access to computers over the next week or two, so I apologize if it takes me a little while to return emails. I will of course post a message if/when the flute has been sold.

Thanks,

Loren

PS. A few weeks back I mentioned that I had a mold problem on some of my instruments that had been stored in a humidified container. Although I may have said so at the time, the Olwell was, in fact, not affected - Only my Madagascar Rosewood Abell whistles were affected (seems the stuff that makes them smell so unique, the red streaks in the wood, is also good food for mold if one is not careful.), and even that turned out to be no big deal, nothing a little cleaning, drying, and airing out didn't solve. So bottom line, that prior message didn't apply to the Olwell. Cheers.

PPS. Would someone please post a copy of this message to the woodenflute mailing list for me? Thanks Much.
Last edited by Loren on Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I can only dream, Loren. Sorry you have to sell it, I have been in that kind of financial squeeze several times in my life.

But, it is good to see you back on the board.

Cheers

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
WistleEnvy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by WistleEnvy »

Unfortunately I'm not able to post a photo, although i have done so here in the past.
Here is a link to the photo Loren refered to. http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ght=#66657

I wish I had $2200 seting around and I would snap this up in a heartbeat. That is one great looking flute.

Loren, Sorry you have to give this up. :cry: I hope things improve quickly for you.

Colin
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Thanks for the condolences guys, it is truly a shame, however much as I love this flute, it can be replaced in some form or fashion when finances allow. I've lost something far more important to me recently, so parting with this flute seems trivial by comparison. Such is life.

Colin from Kansas: thanks for posting that link! I didn't realize the photo was still available, I thought I had hosted it on a free site that is no longer free and so deleted my file. Glad it didn't though. So yes, that is indeed the flute in question.

Okay, I'm about to leave Pennsylvania for parts west, wish me luck finding Inexpensive) pet friendly hotels, in the middle of the night, on my way! (Yeah, I have the triple A pet friendly hotel guide :) )

Cheers,

Loren
sturob

Post by sturob »

Did you ever end up doing any fancy treatments to the headjoint?

I guess I ask because this flute has become so (in)famous, folks might be curious as to how the whole allergy thing turned out.

Sorry you've got to part with the instrument.

Stuart
ursula

Post by ursula »

hay Loren, feel vv sorry for ye having to sell an Olwell, I have been after one for ages, the only thing putting me of is the price range of the new ones, out of curiosity what is the final offer ye are willing to accept on it?

All the best.......
ursula molloy
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Loren wrote:Okay, I'm about to leave Pennsylvania for parts west, wish me luck finding Inexpensive) pet friendly hotels, in the middle of the night, on my way! (Yeah, I have the triple A pet friendly hotel guide :) )

Loren
On our infamous cross country treks, we scout for motels that have a "back entry" ~ I usually busy myself at the front desk, while my husband and sons would park around back and sneak in the 3 cats in their carriers, the 6 (!) hamsters in their cages, and the snake! :lol:

Well, Loren, I hope you have another flute in the works, I know you loved your Olwell so much. Let us know how things are goin' for ya.

Mary
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

Hey Loren,

I live just south of Omaha, Nebraska. If you need a place to crash, I have floor space and a really comfortable sleeping mat.

jim
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

no, no. no. Loren. Well, my man I wish you the best heading west. Go to the pacific northwest and settle there for awhile. It's a friendly place for Aristotelian peripatetics, and you find good music, good coffee and good beer.

Just send that flute over to Shanghai now, brother.

Keep in touch.

G
fionnbarra

olwell cocus

Post by fionnbarra »

loren, if youve still got that cocus olwell, i'll take it.
you can mail me at finbarbass@yahoo.com
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Only have a minute to reply here, gotta get off this library computer and hit the road, so forgive me if I miss anyone....

Stuart, Yes I did the Olwell/Cameron recommeded Cocus allergy fix, but unfortunately it didn't completely eliminate the allergies for me :( Much as I prefer Cocus, if I ever get another flute, it will be Blackwood, Boxwood, or Delrin.

Mary, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I am travelling alone, and large, deep voiced German Shepherds are tough to....conceal. Hee.

Jim, Thanks for the offer! Unfortunately I won't be passing your way, but I really to appreciate that :)

Finbar, check your email. Payment arrangements from your location may be difficult, but there may be a way.

G, No freakin' way man: The Northwest is too dark, dreary, rainy, and depressing - absolutely the LAST thing I need right now. No, it's either the Rockies or some small town California community for me my friend.

Cheers all,

Loren
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I'm in Boulder, CO. now, so if anyone out there in the Boulder/Denver area is seriously interested in the flute, we could arrange a meeting, perhaps.

By the way: Is it just hazy here today, or is the Front Range now just as polluted as LA? I could barely see the Flatirons on the way in. My oh my how this area has changed....

Loren
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Loren wrote:I'm in Boulder, CO. now, so if anyone out there in the Boulder/Denver area is seriously interested in the flute, we could arrange a meeting, perhaps.

By the way: Is it just hazy here today, or is the Front Range now just as polluted as LA? I could barely see the Flatirons on the way in. My oh my how this area has changed....

Loren
I don't know about Colorado, but the Sierra Nevadas have been really hazy as of late as well and it gets worse as the tempature increases. Anyways, good luck with the sale and the move Loren and if you find yourself passing thru Lake Tahoe on 50 drop me an email and maybe we'll be able to do a side by side comparison of my hamilton and your olwell, swap some tunes and maybe even a little kung fu sparing :wink:

All the best,
Jack
No I'm not returning...
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Heya Jack, good to hear from you man! Well, I may be headed out your way if the Olwell sells (uhh, won't have the gas money otherwise), but then we won't be able to do any comparisons or tune swaps. Just as well, I've barely played a note in the last...... 6 months or so, and I wouldn't want to torture anyone in the vacinity :lol:

Now if you're up for a little Kali/Escrima, well that's another story: I'm never too rusty for a little Sumbrada!

Loren
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

BTW: Does anyone know if word of my Olwell sale made it to the woodenflute list?

Just curious.

Loren