Wooden Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Davey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Wooden Whistles

Post by Davey »

Now that the REAL site is back up, I thought I'd take a moment to make a brief announcement. I am now offering handmade (by myself), tuneable wooden whistles for sale. Visit my website for more information, and prices.

www.greenwoodpipes.com

Thanks...now..back to your regularly scheduled whistle board...

http://www.domainnamesanity.com/webumak ... lable.html
Last edited by Davey on Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas-Hastay
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Nice Pipes Davey! Beautiful job on the tuning slides(it aint easy!)

I hope you won't be offended if I make a minor suggestion(?) If you locate the F#(5th) tonehole lower down the bore for a smaller tonehole, you can then move the G(4th) tonehole lower for a larger diameter. This will "even out" the volume for all the toneholes.

If you wish to contact me privately, we could discuss tonehole placement mathematics? or maybe just instrument design in general? I'm always glad to write to other instrument designers and share "shop" techniques. ;-) We could also discuss topics here for others to benefit from too(?)

Thomas Hastay.
thomashastay@yahoo.com
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

NIce looking work! Best of luck to you.
Jack

Post by Jack »

oooooooooh. ahhhhhhhhhhh.

whistles. pretty.
Davey

thanks

Post by Davey »

thanks to both of you...I appreciate the comments.I actually began making whistles as an "aside". I LOVE turing and making pipes...but the nature of pipemaking is such that it is very gradual and incremental...hours of work yields some bits and pieces still needing assembly...whereas with a whistle I can walk away from an evening's work at the lathe with a finished and voiced instrument.

I'm planning on sending out a few whistles for reviews pretty soon...my wife certainly love's them...she has a apple-wood one and a blackwood one....heh..I s'pose there are SOME benefits to being married to a fellow like me..she's literally "rolling" in wood whistles. She doesn't even touch her o'riordan any more...

I've been treating a collection of whistles ruthlessly lately, as an experiment...trying to determine the "ideal" wood. etc. I've left them in the rain, on the dashboard of my van in the sun..kicking around the shop..at the bottom of my backpack...so far the cocobolo seems to be the most resilient to climatic changes.

God Bless,
David
don

Post by don »

No
NO
Get Back WhOA

NO NO ahhhhhh

What beautiful work. Please never share it again
madguy

Post by madguy »

Great looking whistles, and at a truly great price! Hope all goes well for you!!!

~Larry
Davey

thanks!

Post by Davey »

:D

All of the compliments are GREATLY appreciated...
didymus

whistles

Post by didymus »

Anybody here order one of these, yet? I have a cocobolo ordered. I think it is the one in the center of the whistles photo on the items available link.
glauber

wow!

Post by glauber »

How beautiful! I love the creamy white one. Beautiful slides, and pipe-like look.
Davey wrote:I'm planning on sending out a few whistles for reviews pretty soon...
Hey, i'd love to review one! :D I play in a very loud and busy session here in the Chicago area, a very hard environment for whistles.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Those are beautiful. And with the lovely woods, it reminds me of the podiatrist's work. I'll add you to the list of makers whose work I mean to try when I am able.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

My first thought was. WOW!

I like the blackwood. Hey if you are going to send some out for review and testing I'd be happy to oblige.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: whistles

Post by chas »

didymus wrote:Anybody here order one of these, yet? I have a cocobolo ordered. I think it is the one in the center of the whistles photo on the items available link.
I'm getting the boxwood one -- should be here today or tomorrow. I'll post first impressions a few days after I receive it. If you or anyone else is is planning a full review, maybe we can coordinate and post them at the same time in a few weeks.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.