Help Choosing Irish Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Fildafluter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Learning the Irish flute, asking questions about it, reading topics related to wind instruments. What is the best Tin Whistle, that sort of thing.

Re: Help Choosing Irish Flute

Post by Fildafluter »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Fildafluter wrote:and I am still searching for a nice conical bore synthetic model IOW thanks for the reco, but I pass on the selection.
I don't understand... you say you are and always will be Kevin's fan yet reject his list of some of the best polymer flutes available because of 'reports of wimpy sounding E, B and almost silent C natural'.

really quite nice!
I said, 'I read reports' of whimpy E,B and C, correct. Is that not enough?

Sorry for my lack of clarity on the point.

Have a great weekend.
"The more you weigh the harder you are to kidnap,
be safe, eat more ice-cream"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1298297360297681/
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Rapparee71 wrote:Does anyone know about blackwood Seery flutes? I was offered one of those as well, but I don't have all the particulars yet. The only information on Seery I can find is relative to the Delrin models. The person offering the blackwood one said that is about 40 years old. I'll post more when they get back to me with details.
That would be one made by Desi Seery himself, and they're based on a Hudson Pratten. Plenty of flute players were ordering wood flutes from Desi, and pretty satisifed. You might see some cosmetic changes in design (rings, outer profile) over the years since those earlier models. The following photo has flutes from about 2000-2002.

International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Fildafluter wrote:I said, 'I read reports' of whimpy E,B and C, correct. Is that not enough?
While I don't want to prolong this, no, it's not, or at least wasn't at the time I replied. You said:
Fildafluter wrote:I have no idea what the delrin flutes you recco are like, except for reports of wimpy sounding E, B and almost silent C natural, but I guess you do. Any road up I take the word of somebody I know pretty well, and like myself grew up in Ireland, before I would that of somebody I never met but on the Internet.
At which point I offered you the opinion of someone I know pretty well (me), though Scottish born and bred, over atypical and unattributed reports relayed by somebody I never met but on the Internet (you). Of course you're perfectly at liberty to disregard my opinion because I'm equally somebody you never met but on the Internet, but I'd suggest further research will confirm it to be in line with the collective weight of experience here.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

God rest ye merry gentlemen....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Fildafluter
Tell us something.: Learning the Irish flute, asking questions about it, reading topics related to wind instruments. What is the best Tin Whistle, that sort of thing.

Post by Fildafluter »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Fildafluter wrote:I said, 'I read reports' of whimpy E,B and C, correct. Is that not enough?
While I don't want to prolong this
Fildafluter wrote: except for reports of wimpy
At
Is this a debate about intent and utterance on C&F Flute forum?. I think that may be OT so I reply to you in PM.

Happy Weekend.

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Fildafluter wrote:I think that may be OT so I reply to you in PM.
And, since there's nothing in that PM that you couldn't just as well have said here, I choose to heed Kevin's advice and quit this discussion. So don't expect a reply!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Okay, then! Let's move on.

(said the moderator)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Fildafluter

Post by Fildafluter »

kkrell wrote:Image
Amen !

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Rapparee71 wrote:..... I'd like to purchase a simple system Irish flute. I've been looking at McNeela's offerings. I don't have a tremendous amount to spend...
If this discussion hasn't totally changed your outlook on flutes, there's a Casey Burns Boxwood flute for sale in the Used Instruments Exchange at viewtopic.php?f=35&t=109633 that is inexpensive and a solid instrument that would last you well through your learning process and beyond.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Rapparee71
Tell us something.: I've been interested in music all my life. I played horn for a number of years, in and after college even. I

Post by Rapparee71 »

Thank you all for your help. I went with the Casey Burns blackwood flute. I'm just now trying to s..t...r....e..t..c..h my fingers to it. That G is a bit a bear for me, not at all like a concert flute. My embouchure is adapting rapidly, especially since I haven't even played a concert flute in many years.

Thanks again for all your help.

Go raibh maith agaibh!