Maybe OT? Irish music in Missouri...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fluter_d
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Maybe OT? Irish music in Missouri...

Post by fluter_d »

Hi!

I'm thinking of spending the summer in Columbia, MO, teaching Irish music. I have a job lined up if I decide to go; I'm looking for some information on summer in Missouri (I'm guessing it might be warmer and drier than Ireland!), and on the Irish trad scene in that area...

Any help will be gratefully accepted!

Thanks
Deirdre :)
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Okay, so who is going to tell her about the weather? :lol:
shortstop

Columbia, MO

Post by shortstop »

Deidre,

There is a little Irish music in Columbia and quite a bit 120 miles away in St. Louis. email privately to rlynch9041@aol.com for more.
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

The Weekenders wrote:Okay, so who is going to tell her about the weather? :lol:
Let's just say it will be plenty humid and a LOT warmer than Ireland :roll:
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, there's probably more Irish music here in
St. Louis than in columbia. We have sessins
Weds nt at music folk; good acoustic jams
Thurs at Focal Point. There are sometimes
sessions on the weekends at McGurks in Souland.
It won't be intolerably
hot, etiher. Please let us know if you're going to visit MO. Best
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Jim - It won't be intolerably hot? Do you live in some alternative St. Louis?

Deidre - Expect temps in the daytime to go from 80 to 105 for most of the summer. Humidity hovers around 50%. Luckily, as the temps go up the humidity does drop. Not too much of a drop at night, either - it's not uncommon for it to stay in the mid to upper 80s when it's really hot during the day. However, it is much cooler and less humid than the Southeast of the USA...

Also, Columbia is the northern edge of the Ozarks. A wonderful geological area with lots of springs, caves, unique rock formations, nice forests, and some fun man made lakes. If you like to camp or even just hike, you couldn't ask for a nicer place to be. About an hour (maybe less) to the east is Hermann Missouri where there are 3 or 4 award winning wineries. So, apart from ITM, there are a lot of fun things to do.

Kansas City to the west has one slow session 1st and 3rd Thursday each month. I'm going this week, so I'll check for sessions/ITM in Columbia and other sessions in KC. Kirk Lynch the pipe maker and Connie Dover the singer live up in Weston (30 minutes north of me). We have 2 or 3 dance troups in KC that perform in public and need players from time to time.

Feel free to drop me an email at crowshaven@gbronline.com

Eric

(edited to point out the positives of Missouri)
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Pat Cannady wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:Okay, so who is going to tell her about the weather? :lol:
Let's just say it will be plenty humid and a LOT warmer than Ireland :roll:
Living in the Midwest in the summer is kind of like being in dog's mouth. It will rain just enough to keep the humidity in the 90s, but not enough to get the temperature down out of the 90s.

And then there's the tornados, which will be mostly, but not completely, finished by the time you get here. You'll probably go back home before the second wave starts in the fall.

There are, of course, nice things about living in this part of the country, but we're not allowed to repeat them publicly, because we don't want a bunch of yuppified Californians hearing about them and moving here and ruining the place. So I am forbidden by statute from mentioning them.
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Gonzo - You're a hoot! Just exactly where on that squigly line of the KS/MO border are you found? I'm in KC, but I was born in a small Prairie Village on the other side of the border...
fluter_d

Post by fluter_d »

Thanks everyone! I've been in touch with people in Columbia; I basically just need to decide whether to go. I'll be sure to let you know whether you've helped me decide... :roll: one way or the other! :D Anyhow, how much more humid can it be than Ireland all year round??? (Please, people, let me have my illusions...)
Thanks! Any further info wouldn't hurt, either... but I don't think we need any more weather-based reasons to go or not! :P
Deirdre
elliott

Post by elliott »

Just great. People from other places telling you how much or little music there is in Columbia.

First up, there's a session every Thursday and a slow jam every Wednesday. There are at least five whistle players and most of them attempt flute to some degree or another. And the Celtic Arts Association, which offered you the job, puts on concerts and events as well. Bluegrass, country, jazz, klezmer, and, if you hurry, the Blind Boone Ragtime and Early Jazz Festival. Lots of quirky fiddlers, too.

What we DON'T have is an early music group or be-bop band.

Columbia is a decent college town with restaraunts, museums, chamber music, listener-sponsored community radio, homemade beer and homemade custard, a new $16 million public library, state parks and football games.

In the neighborhood are world-class folk performers The Grace Family and Dave Para & Cathy Barton.

St. Louis has Bernie & Barbara McDonald (flute and guitar) and a music store that will let you try out flutes and whistles.

And you're within travel distance of the Chicago Irish scene (Liz Carroll) and the Milwaukee Irish Festival. Tim Britton and his uillian pipes factory are in Iowa somewhere and Burke pennywhistles are made in Illinois.

If you're big on Abraham Lincoln, you're near Springfield, Illinois.

And yes, you'll drip sweat on hot, humid days where the air feels like dirty cotton. That's why we air-condition most of our buildings and cars.
“Poor man,” said I, “you pay too much for your whistle.”
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Hey, common it isn't intolerably hot! haven't
you folks ever heard of air conditioning?

Also, Columbia has Elliot, who plays a mean whistle. Best
elliott

Post by elliott »

Oh, pshaw, Jim. I don't have a mean bone in my body.
fluter_d

Post by fluter_d »

Thanks everyone!
I'm definitely going - I just don't know when or how (or where exactly!)... It'll be an adventure! I think I may have to start acclimatising myself though - we're still wearing winter coats here in Cork, and I doubt it'll get much warmer. May be interesting!
Deirdre
dgardner

Post by dgardner »

jayhawk...where and when are the sessions in kc?