Anasazi/Basketmaker flute scae vs. NAF

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
michaelpthompson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played whistles and flutes for many years, but I am looking to get more serious with it. I mostly play Irish traditional music, but I want to expand into native american as well.

Anasazi/Basketmaker flute scae vs. NAF

Post by michaelpthompson »

I have Scott August's excellent book, The Complete Guide to the Native American Style Flute. If you want to know everything about how to play the NAF, this is a must read. I'm still working through it, but one thing I don't yet understand is how to apply this knowledge to my Anasazi/Basketmaker style flutes.

Scott gives details on a number of different tunings and notation systems for NAF, and has a wealth of sheet music at the back, so you can learn a number of tunes. But since the pentatonic scale on my flutes is not the same as that of the NAF, I'm not sure how to attempt playing these tunes. Do I just use the fingering in the diagrams, knowing the tune will not sound the same? Or is there a way to transpose?

Any guidance appreciated.
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Anasazi/Basketmaker flute scae vs. NAF

Post by fatmac »

If it's in a different key to yours, it should be OK to play the same finger holes, (it will just be in a different key to that which it is written), but if you have a different note layout, that's another kettle of fish. :)

(You might need/want to transpose the tunes for your particular flute.)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
michaelpthompson
Tell us something.: I have played whistles and flutes for many years, but I am looking to get more serious with it. I mostly play Irish traditional music, but I want to expand into native american as well.

fatmac wrote:If it's in a different key to yours, it should be OK to play the same finger holes, (it will just be in a different key to that which it is written), but if you have a different note layout, that's another kettle of fish. :)

(You might need/want to transpose the tunes for your particular flute.)
Yes, it's not just a different key, it's a different scale (note layout).
NAF
Anasazi
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Looks like you will have to half hole, or find the right holes for cross fingering, to get the missing notes & sharps - trial & error, maybe, but likely doable, as it is fairly close to the key of 'C' NAF.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
jimhanks
Tell us something.: I play lots of instruments including several wind instruments like recorder and Native American flutes. I'm looking to expand my horizons and learn more about whistles, especially wooden ones.

Post by jimhanks »

According to your chart, the Anasazi is a pentatonic major scale, not minor, so anything notated for NAF will not work even remotely. Notes are notes so you might be able to play certain NAF songs on the Anasazi but the fingering will be completely different.
Hi4head
Tell us something.: Just recently I’ve begun playing a transverse flute. I’m wanting to learn more about simple system flutes and playing.

Post by Hi4head »

Your Anasazi will actually play a few different scales; major pentatonic, akebono, a different minor pentatonic than your NAF, and a couple more. None of them will sound like your NAF minor pentatonic. Scott also has out (or had out) a booklet on the Anasazi flute. When I attended one of his rim blown seminars, he covered much more than just the major pentatonic.

You may want to check out his Cedar Mesa website. He periodically offers various seminars, and also is a good Skype instructor. And he sells books and cd’s from the site too.

Chris
michaelpthompson

Hi4head wrote:Your Anasazi will actually play a few different scales; major pentatonic, akebono, a different minor pentatonic than your NAF, and a couple more. None of them will sound like your NAF minor pentatonic.
That's what I was thinking. Blame me for taking the road less traveled. :pint:
Hi4head wrote:Scott also has out (or had out) a booklet on the Anasazi flute. When I attended one of his rim blown seminars, he covered much more than just the major pentatonic.
I saw that booklet on his web site, but he has since taken it down. He told me it's out of date so he's stopped publishing it. I searched for an existing copy in vain. I will definitely check out his seminars though.
Hi4head wrote:You may want to check out his Cedar Mesa website. He periodically offers various seminars, and also is a good Skype instructor. And he sells books and cd’s from the site too.
I have taken a private skype lesson from him, which helped a lot. And I have his latest album and his book, "The Complete Guide to the Native American Style Flute" but it doesn't deal with the Anasazi variant.

I also have a book called "Native American Flute: A Comprehensive Guide ~ History & Craft" by C.S. Fuqua, which gives a lot of history and greater detail about the Anasazi style flute. I think I need to compare it to Scott's material and see what I can do to adapt the tunes.
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!
michaelpthompson

jimhanks wrote:According to your chart, the Anasazi is a pentatonic major scale, not minor, so anything notated for NAF will not work even remotely. Notes are notes so you might be able to play certain NAF songs on the Anasazi but the fingering will be completely different.
Thanks, that's one of the things I needed to know.
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

When you play your NAF do you keep hole 3 covered, playing just the 5 holes? In other words, do you play with the minor pentatonic scale?
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
michaelpthompson

AuLoS303 wrote:When you play your NAF do you keep hole 3 covered, playing just the 5 holes? In other words, do you play with the minor pentatonic scale?
My NAF has only five holes. I know some have six, to facilitate playing with other instruments, but mine is strictly pentatonic. My Anasazi flute has six holes, but they don't produce the same notes as the NAF. (And actually, I have one Basketmaker style flute with a thumb hole, but it really only makes playing the second octave easier. It doesn't quite produce an additional note.)
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

michaelpthompson wrote: . (And actually, I have one Basketmaker style flute with a thumb hole, but it really only makes playing the second octave easier. It doesn't quite produce an additional note.)
Why are they called basketmaker style flutes?
michaelpthompson

AuLoS303 wrote:Why are they called basketmaker style flutes?
Basically, because of the dates given to different eras of Pre-Puebloan culture in the American southwest. The flutes discovered in a cave in Arizona in 1931 were dated to approximately 620-670 AD, which falls during the period labeled Basketmaker III. Archaeologists love to date these periods of cultural change by the distinctive pottery of each culture, and these dates fall during the transition from using baskets for cooking and storage, to the gradual introduction of fired pottery during this time.
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Interesting, I didn't realise they went that far back!
michaelpthompson

AuLoS303 wrote:Interesting, I didn't realise they went that far back!
Early Basketmaker people date back to at least 1,200 BC, and were descendants of what were known as the Archaic people, who were hunter-gatherers. Basketmaker II begins a period when agriculture gradually supplemented hunting as a food source.
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!