Is everyone safe! 200 Tornadoes in a week!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MarkB

Is everyone safe! 200 Tornadoes in a week!

Post by MarkB »

This past week has been a form of Hell for friends in the Mid-West United States, with over 200 tornadoes and continous violent thunderstorms, with flooding downpours.

I just hope that all members here that in that area are safe and dry.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

I don't want to embarrass her, but I am a little concerned about NancyF. She hasn't posted or visited the chat room for about a week. And someone said she lives in an area hit by tornadoes. Just wondering...
Susan
Sara

Post by Sara »

I feel so terrible for those who were involved in the tornados.

We were listening to the Weather Channel last night when one of the meteorologists came on and said that a tornado was on the ground in Oklahoma, headed toward Tulsa. He made mention that it was especially massive and destructive. Then paused and sighed heavily. I'm pretty sure it was in the same area the other tornados struck. It was eerie and humbling to think that whilst I was on the internet and watching TV, and that in my life, everything is relatively calm and peaceful, a tornado was on the ground at that very minute completely tearing apart people's lives which had already been destroyed by previous tornados just a few days before. It is so scary and I feel horrible for everyone who was involved.
Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

You can't hear the truth over your own lawnmower, man!
Dana

Tornado

Post by Dana »

My husband and I were avidly watching the storm last night. We live SW of Tulsa, OK. Thursday night the storm fizzled out just before reaching us. Last night, we stayed up till 1:30 AM watching the tornadic storm aiming right at our area. It ended up moving a few miles south of us. The major damage seemed to be focused in the Oklahoma city and Stroud areas again. Our prayers are with those who have been effected.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Tornados have been hitting all around us, but we;ve gotten away with just a couple of serious thunderstorms. Lots of lightning an thunder and some hail - six miles north of here it was baseball sized but here more like big marbles. Pretty much continuous watches and warnings for the last two days but oddly only about three inches of mostly welcome rain. Southern Illinois got hit harder but nowhere near as bad as farther south and west.

It may well be that anyone not online is the victim of a power outage.
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

My thoughts are with all those affected by these storms.

I live in Sacramento, California and Thursday night my wife called from work to say that she wouldn't be coming home on time because of tornado warnings. Yes, believe it or not, we had sightings of several funnel clouds forming in the valley with a couple of them touching down in unpopulated areas for a brief peroid of time. We had sleet, thunderstorms and micro-bursts. In some parts of the state, the snowpack is over 200% of normal.

Very odd and severe weather over much of the country this year. I can't remember a winter/spring this odd in a long time.

Wishing everyone well,
Eric
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I think I've heard we've had about 40 tornadoes within 60 miles of Kansas City here in the past week alone (about 6 actually hit suburbs of KC). We had a couple of F4 level (houses blown to shreds, horses & trucks thrown up into trees, etc...), but most of have been smaller. I think there are about 500 houses totally destroyed between KC and Lawrence.

I've lived here my whole life, and I've never seen this many tornados in such a short time.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I shall be glad when this stormy season is over. And pray that those harmed by them, and those suffering from losses, can rebuild their lives. I also hope and pray that the weather settles. I'm thankful that so many have been spared the miseries. By divine grace we have been fortunate.
Reasonable person
Walden
Cinead

Shake, Rattle, and Blow

Post by Cinead »

Oklahoma City seems to be the lightning rod for tornados with two in two days. The May 8th tornado that hit Moore (a OKC suburb) missed our home by about eight miles. Last night's (May 9th), however, went right by our house a block away and, fortunately, had drawn up into the sky as it went by (It must have hit a giant prayer bubble). The damage would have been a thousand times worse had it stayed on the ground. We could have been victims of debris fallout or higher winds had it done so. Everything shook, the windows rattled and the wind blew hard enough to break telephone poles in half. The family, the animals, and all of my whistles are safe. Safe also is my favorite coffee shop Panera Bread which would have also been directly in the path of the tornado had it stayed on the ground. God is good. As the song says, "Sometimes He calms the storm. At other times He calms his child."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cinead, I just cannot imagine. Glad you're OK.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Adding my prayers to every one else's. Be safe, folks!

Tornados scare the pants off me. Earthquakes I can handle, volcanos and hurricanes (except for when they spawn tornados), no problem, but I'm nearly scared sick of tornados (even have nightmares about them). Remember the bad tornado spring about four years ago? That was the year we moved back out here from NC, and we actually chose the slightly longer southern route rather than relatively-straight-shot I-40 because of my twister-phobia.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Redwolf wrote:Tornados scare the pants off me. Earthquakes I can handle, volcanos and hurricanes (except for when they spawn tornados), no problem, but I'm nearly scared sick of tornados (even have nightmares about them). Remember the bad tornado spring about four years ago? That was the year we moved back out here from NC, and we actually chose the slightly longer southern route rather than relatively-straight-shot I-40 because of my twister-phobia.

Redwolf
Funny. Those of us in 'tornado alley' learn relatively early in life to respect but not fear them. OTOH, earthquakes terrify me. I have no idea how you left coasters can just calmly sit there waiting for the end of the world like that.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

What about Serpent? He lives in parts of Missouri that got hammered.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Serpent lives about 40 minutes north of me. I don't think any tornados hit up in his town. Luckily, those of us not personally hit by the tornados have had tons of hail dropped on our heads, too.

BTW - It's very, very windy here tonight. Another front moving in, but no tornado predictions tonight, yet...

I'm with Chuck that tornados are not nearly as bad as quakes. I guess it's what you get used to. Last Sunday when the two tornados tore through KC, I took my son out when the sirens went off so he could learn about clouds, wind circulation, and funnel formation. I was worried he'd be scared, but he was quite the brave little 4 year old.

When I was at KU, we use to joke that you could tell the locals because when the tornado sirens went off instead of heading for the basement they all went outside to look at the clouds to see if the sirens were warranted.
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

Jayhawk wrote:
When I was at KU, we use to joke that you could tell the locals because when the tornado sirens went off instead of heading for the basement they all went outside to look at the clouds to see if the sirens were warranted.
Yeah, I always felt it was thoughtful of the city to install tornado sirens so we could all run outside to watch when they went off.