Do these tunes have other names?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Do these tunes have other names?

Post by Jack »

The Moorlough Shore
Lord Baker
Paddy's Lament
Óró, Sé Do Bheatha ‘Bhaile
Nil Sén La
Weila Weila Waile

I'm looking for music to them and can't find it and I thought some of them might be better known by a different name. I've looked on the ABC tune finder but it didn't work. I've also tried learning by ear, but I end up improvising and playing something completely different. If I can help it, I'd rather not buy a whole book of tunes to learn one or two.

edited to change the word 'songs' to 'tunes'
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/fin ... e%29&L=100

Hi Cran,

the only one I've heard of is Paddy's Lament, and maybe that was Paddy's (something else). Try searching JC's using just one word from the title - Moorlough Shore might be Molly of Lough Erne Shore, for example.

Tune names get twisted & mis-spelt frequently. The Gaelic ones may have alternate spellings.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Paddy's lament is actually called "Paddy's Lamentation". I think its traditional, but Mary Black does a real nice version of it and it was partially heard in "Gangs of New York".

Lyrics are freel available (google search) but a quick search failed to turn up the score in free form - there are several places you can buy it, though.

Weila Weila Waile is also called "The Cruel Mother" Tommy Makem and the Clancys did the only recorded version I ever heard and the lyric can be found in association with their discography. Trillian has a couple of scores, but I'm not sure they're the same tune.

I don't recognize the others.
QRS

RE

Post by QRS »

Lord Baker is a wonderful slow song (Very long!!)

The only recording I haver ever heard is by Planxty (Christy moore sings it)

I don´t remember what album it was on, but it is one of the last ones.

Go check it out! It is one of my vavorite Christy moore songs.
QRS
Jack

Post by Jack »

Weila Weila Waile is also called "The Cruel Mother" Tommy Makem and the Clancys did the only recorded version I ever heard and the lyric can be found in association with their discography.
I've heard all the songs recorded, that's why I wanted to try to learn to play them. Sinéad O'Connor does the first four (I haven't heard Mary Black's Paddy's Lament, Sinéad's version makes my spine tingle), Clannad did Nil Sén La, and The Dubliners did Weila, Weila, Waile.

The only recording of Lord Baker I've heard is a duet with Christy Moore and Sinéad. It lasts 11 minutes and 38 seconds. I love it.

edited because I kept adding things.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to learn them by ear, Cran....

:lol:

Robin
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

You have reached the second stage of your assimilation.

First is the simple fact of WhOA, than an increasing hunger for the music of the fairies, then busking for free, and on and on until, inevitably: the pipes.

Resistance is futile.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Is "Nil Sen La" the same as "Neil Shay Na Law"? If so, the Cathal McConnell Irish Pennywhistle tutor has the sheet music, as well as the tune on the accompanying disc. You might also find it on the web under its English name, "It's Not Yet Day." I've always suspected that "Neil Shay Na Law" was a phonetic rendering of something else, and "Nil Sen La" looks like it might be the same thing with a more accurately Irish spelling.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I think the spelling would be: Níl Sé 'n Lá.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to learn them by ear, Cran....
I've been trying for 3 months and it doesn't come easily for me, at all. Something just isn't right. I think I might be playing in the wrong key, who knows? I'll stick to sheet music, which I can sort of manage.
Is "Nil Sen La" the same as "Neil Shay Na Law"?
I think the spelling would be: Níl Sé 'n Lá.
I have the cd right here in front of me and Clannad has it spelled Níl Sén La or Nil Sén La. You can't really tell if it's i or í.
Last edited by Jack on Sat May 10, 2003 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Nanohedron wrote:I think the spelling would be: Níl Sé 'n Lá.
Probably...that looks more Irish than any of the other spellings I've found. It does appear to be the same tune...I did a Yahoo search and came up with one spelled "nil sen la" and one spelled "nil se n lai," both of which are translated as "It's not yet day" or "It's not the day"...so it's likely it's the same tune as the one in the McConnell book. Couldn't find the music (printed or recorded) on-line though, even plugging every spelling I could think of, as well as the English name into various search engines and JC's Tunefinder.

It's the very first tune in the McConnell book...definitely a bare bones version, but very pretty.

Redwolf
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Cranberry...

From what research I've been able to do, it really does look like "nil sen la" and "neil shay na law" may be the same tune, so try this:

In 3/4 time:

dfaabcD
dfafgffee
dfaabcD
adfafefedd

If that sounds right, you've got the bare bones of the tune, and can probably go on from there.

Redwolf

(edited to change some bs to ds...slydexia strikes again! ;) )
Jack

Post by Jack »

In 3/4 time:

dfaabcD
dfafgffee
dfaabcD
adfafefedd

If that sounds right, you've got the bare bones of the tune, and can probably go on from there.
That sounds like the same song to me. :) Thanks.

Re: Óró, Sé Do Bheatha ‘Bhaile, I know it's about a woman named Grace O'Malley and she was 'a warrior noblewoman of Ireland who lived at the time of Elizabeth I, and whose ships were a formidable force of the Irish west coast'.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Cran, I was just trying to help you narrow your search. I don't have much Gaeilge, but "Nil Sén La" doesn't make sense by its spelling, which isn't a big deal because the pronunciation would be close but not the same. I've cetainly seen misspellings on CDs in English! Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read. :) On the other hand, it could be a Donegal regional spelling, which isn't out of the question. It just ain't standard.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Actually, you could also try "Níl Sé an Lá", too. That would be fairly clear. It's still pronounced the same.