3 Cheers for the Whistlesmiths!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tomcat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

3 Cheers for the Whistlesmiths!

Post by tomcat »

Just wanted to publicly thank all ye craftsman who provide us with whistles and accessories.

(I know I've left many a maker off - so please add a verse to thank your favorite whistlesmith!)

From Erik to Mack to Weasal and Sandy
The whistles ye make fit us just dandy.

Yo Jon, yo Mike, hey Tony and Paul
You supply us so many bring on the U-haul.

Then Serpie now syn -
my where does one begin?

A Copeland's a dream
A Grinter supreme
Ronaldo's max to the extreme.

What's one to do?
More whistles than cases of that "new-found" flu.

So bring out the Euros, the dollars, bucks,
And salute our whistle makers, our craftspeople delux.

(edited per Cranberries note)
Last edited by tomcat on Fri May 09, 2003 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

our craftsmen
Surely you mean craftspeople?
Switchfoot

Post by Switchfoot »

there all so pretty I dont know which one to get first (and their whistles are top notch too :) )
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

Cranberry wrote:
our craftsmen
Surely you mean craftspeople?
Doh!

I thought "craftsmen" fit the rhythm of the poem better, but as I look at it - it has no consistent rhythm! Correction noted and made.
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Yes! Image The handmade whistles I have seen so far are just absolutly amazing, made with such great love and care and are a pure joy to play. These folks do such a wonderful service for the music world. Many tons of thanks as well as three cheers, and three thousand more after that!

ImageSara ~ (Who sees nothing wrong with the use of the word "craftsmen", thought it fit the rythem just fine... course never cared for P.C. stuff myself anyway.)
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

As a whistlesmith-in-training, I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude and appreciation to all the established whistlesmiths and whistle tweakers, who are so generous with information and encouragement.

Considering that whistlesmithing is a source of livelihood, it's remarkable that they are so open and sharing with the secrets of their craft.

What a fine group of people!

Best wishes,
Jerry

P.S. I would add, this generosity on their part has already borne fruit for dozens of people who are enjoying whistles I've tweaked. Many of these have visited C&F and commented on how much they enjoy the site, based on the communications with these whistles.

And furthermore ... as I've said in another post, this work is bringing a dimension of soul satisfaction to my life that had been missing for a long time. I get lots of encouraging feedback from people who are enjoying the whistles. It helps me feel a sense of meaning in my life that I have this opportunity to send out these little packages of happiness and fun most every day. Again, I'm grateful to the whistlesmiths and whistle tweakers who've allowed me to have this experience by sharing their craft with me.
Last edited by Jerry Freeman on Fri May 09, 2003 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

this thread looks like a support group for those infected with WhOA :D
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

Chris Abell in Asheville
earns raves from the bashful
and bold alike;
he's an artist all right.

John Sindt broke free
from his engineering degree
to become a famed guru--
the whistle's Brian Boru.

Aaagh! I can't write rhyming verse. Some of you make it looks so easy! I don't know how you do it.
:oops: Cara
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I admire all of these great artists for artists they truly are. I have no aspirations to making whistles for sale. However, if I could just learn to make a decent whistle for my own satisfaction. Fortunately people do share their secrets. I have learned a great deal by following the whistlemaking and related threads. Keep discussing your sucesses and failures. I may not comment but I am following with great interest. Thanks to all on the forum.
Ron
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

antstastegood wrote:this thread looks like a support group for those infected with WhOA :D
To me, it looks more like a place where WhOA could spread if all applicable precautions aren't followed.

Let's face it, folks. This stuff is highly contageous. Nothing to mess around with. The Centers for Disease Control have been notified and are monitering the situation. Musicians everywhere are encouraged to wear surgical masks to avoid spreading the infection or becoming infected themselves.

This is no joking matter.
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Jerry Freeman wrote:
antstastegood wrote:this thread looks like a support group for those infected with WhOA :D
To me, it looks more like a place where WhOA could spread if all applicable precautions aren't followed.

Let's face it, folks. This stuff is highly contageous. Nothing to mess around with. The Centers for Disease Control have been notified and are monitering the situation. Musicians everywhere are encouraged to wear surgical masks to avoid spreading the infection or becoming infected themselves.

This is no joking matter.
Um... I hate to say it, but I think it's far too late. The only cure is to try every whistle there is and then, in the end keep only your favorites... which may be several whistles in every key but.... :D

Cara, I thought your rhyming was just fine... and it amazes me to how some talented folk on this board can come up with rhyme so quickly and make it seem so easy... which it's not.

ImageSara (Who thinks she has now found the two perfect high D whistles for her and is now off into WhOA land, dreaming of all those other keys.)
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Yes and lets not forget Stacey who for the last seven years has been trying to make a decent whistle and still has'nt yet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fairly decent whistles. There are some things I'd change to bring them more in line with my personal preferences, but that's true of most every whistle I own. For me personally, the breath pressure is a killer, and would prevent me from buying one of these whistles.
Wude.
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Thanks, Tomcat, for all your kind words.
Who says whistle players are nerds?
We'll help feed your WHOA
So now I must go,
Make whistles for the clamoring herds....
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Hi Gang

First; "Craftsman" is <b>Non-Gender-Specific"</b> just like <B>God or Human or Mankind</b>. Professing gender racism wihtout provocation leads to Hate, and we have all had enough of that lately. CHILL!!!

Jerry: The Hotteterre group in France would share all of their technical information with each other and the result was almost ALL of the modern woodwind instruments we know of today were invented. Sharing information made them large fortunes and lead to a Renaissance in orchestral music that lasted for centuries.

Hoarding information leads to decay and stagnation. Our modern museums are holding the history of mankind for ransom(high fees) in moldy basements and warehouses because "we can't be trusted". Anything I can do to expose ANY historical or modern information on music, does my heart good.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
serpent

Doggerel in Whistle City

Post by serpent »

brewerpaul wrote:Thanks, Tomcat, for all your kind words.
Who says whistle players are nerds?
We'll help feed your WHOA
So now I must go,
Make whistles for the clamoring herds....
Oh, we got doggerel,
Right here in Whistle City
With a Capital "D" and that rhymes with "P
And that stands for "Paul"!

:D

The whistler of to day, discerning lad,
Or lass, as it mey be, you see, cannot be all too bad,
For their appreciation, from the heart,
Gets the Serpent off his arse and doth he start,
To make the whistles, curve-ed windway here,
And polished Village Smithy, never fear,
And with brass and molyb-denum steel, doth run,
To make the Golden Whistles of the Sun...

:D
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"