Slitely OT: Hey Walden it`s here!!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Blackbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Slitely OT: Hey Walden it`s here!!!

Post by Blackbeer »

My very own Bouzouki came in the mail yesterday. What a great deal. I tuned it up last night and am just letting it get used to the neighborhood. I went with the GDAd tuning because that is what I have all the cords for. The sound is like time travel. I kid you not. Thanks for the tip and the web site. Total cost was 125 bucks to my door. Now that can`t be beat by anyone. In my search on the net for this same instument the cheepist price I found was 300 bucks plus shipping. Sure does pay to go to the source. The workmanship is much finer then I imagened. It has been years since I played my guitar and that has turned out to be a good thing. Although I still remember the cord progressions I used to use and work with my left hand and fingers don`t. It will make learning to play this beauty much easer. And man does it sound great. Solid spruce top, pretty good machine heads, and reinforced neck. What a deal. I think I`m in love. Snakeman this is the way to go if you are still thinking about one.

Tom

Edited thanks to Trish and Cranberry. Though I didn`t get it until just now. :oops:
Last edited by Blackbeer on Wed May 07, 2003 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

Post by Jack »

My very own Bouzouki came in the male yesterday.
:o
U2

Re: Slitely OT: Hey Walden it`s here!!!

Post by U2 »

Blackbeer wrote:My very own Bouzouki came in the male yesterday. What a great deal. ..

Tom
Well, um, uh, I suppose that WAS something to remember. Are you aware of Roger Landes' annual event, Zoukfest? He has a great site for it in a national forest just outside of Taos, NM, an old military outpost on several hundred acres. The quality of the instruction and the atmosphere is really something. This year's staff includes: The 2003 Staff includes Randal Bays, Mason Brown, Connie Dover, Dan Beimborn, Sonja Drakulich, Alec Finn, Gari Hegedus, Roger Landes, Grey Larsen, Kevin MacLeod, Angela Mariani, Susu Pampanin, Chris Smith, Rose Tan, Chipper Thompson. Have a look at: http://rogerlandes.com
All the best,
Steve
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Re: Slitely OT: Hey Walden it`s here!!!

Post by Walden »

Blackbeer wrote:The sound is like time travel. I kid you not. Thanks for the tip and the web site. Total cost was 125 bucks to my door. Now that can`t be beat by anyone. In my search on the net for this same instument the cheepist price I found was 300 bucks plus shipping. Sure does pay to go to the source. The workmanship is much finer then I imagened. It has been years since I played my guitar and that has turned out to be a good thing. Although I still remember the cord progressions I used to use and work with my left hand and fingers don`t. It will make learning to play this beauty much easer. And man does it sound great. Solid spruce top, pretty good machine heads, and reinforced neck. What a deal. I think I`m in love. Snakeman this is the way to go if you are still thinking about one.
Yes, it's the best value I know of. Mine has been pretty well my constant musical companion ever since I got it.
Reasonable person
Walden
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Sorry Steve but I am a Bouzouki know nothing. The only Bouzouki player I have realy listened to is Donal Lunny backing up Matt Molloy perfectly. But thanks for the tip and the site. Maybe you could suggest some listening. Though I do enjoy the quest and am discovering all kinds of sites out there.

I can certainly see that happening Walden. Flute, Whistle, and Bouzouki. This must be what heaven is like. (oh and blackbeer of course)

Tom
U2

Post by U2 »

Roger Landes has a CD called "Dragon Reels" that I've enjoyed very much. Best of luck with the new zouk.
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Oh ya Steve I was just at his site downloading clips. Very fine. Yes this is going to be real fun. Thanks again.

Tom
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

In addition to Roger Landes, Gerald Trimble and Joseph Sobol have albums featuring bouzoukis mainly playing melody. Actually, all the players on these albums play 10-string instruments which may be called citterns (or not, dependeing on the preference of the player). Robin Bullock has a show somewhere at the Kennedy Center and plays a short scale four-course instrument which, confusingly, he calls a cittern. Most people would call it an octave mandolin. He plays guitar too. I'm not sure of the date of that show. You'll have to search. There's a tape of Tommy Peoples (fiddle) accompanied by Manus Lunny on bouzouki and guitar. The nice thing about it is that the fiddle and accompaniment are on separate tracks and you can listen to the bouzouki by itself to try and figure out what he's doing. I think it's called 50 Irish Fiddle Tunes and may be available from Elderly Instruments. Here's the address for the Kennedy Center.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/ ... index.html

Steve
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hooray, Tom! Another flute/"gizmo" player! Our ranks are growing. Now only if we could clone ourselves, eh? Or have a Shiva-style extra set of arms...
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Robin Bullock's Kennedy show is July 15 2002.

Steve
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Thanks again Steve. I`ll have to down load that Kennedy show.

Ya Nano, but no clones of me if you please. I wouldn`t wish that on my worst enemy. Boy the flute, never in my life have I had such a love-hate relationship. When I finaly get a workable embouchure I am going to be hell to deal with. I will play that thing 24 hours a day. (well maybe 22 I need a couple of hours for the Bouzouki, a or a lets see I need a couple hours for my whistles too and my spoons and, well I`ll work something out) :boggle:

Tom
LimuHead
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

Hey Blackbear, could you kindly post the site where you got your bouzouki? Was this just a one shot deal, or are there more out there for the same price?

Thanks!
Aldon
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

I must say that the bouzouki has taken over much of my whistle time...For some real great zouk,listen to Dervish..Live in Palma..Michael Holmes..he is wonderful..
My new bouzouki will be here in a few months...like 6 or 7..It's a Phil Crump. Can hardly wait...
"Do not fear;Zion,let not your hands be weak;
The Lord your God in your midst;
The Mighty One,will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you in His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Sorry Aldon, http://www.HORA.ro This is the factory and it took many emails to get a response. The model number is M1089 which is the only model they make I think. Don`t let the price fool ya. This is a good quality enstrument. They do credit cards. Walden posted a picture of his a while back. It took about 2 weeks to get here from the time I placed my order. Well worth checking out.

Tom
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

The main drawback of the bouzouki is that you don't really have the option of using BAGDad tuning.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar