finger spacing on soprano D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

This is getting too weird. I came home from work and found my husband stretched out on the couch, playing the whistle. I need to do whatever is possible to encourage this bizarre spousal behavior.

His complaint is that the upper two fingers on the right hand are too close together for comfort. He has broad fingers, and they press together when he plays D and E. He's using a Soodlum now, and has considered going to a C or Bflat because of this. Part of me thinks this is a perfectly logical solution, and as he will probably never play outside the house, any key will do, right?

But another part of me would really like to play D duets with him, and encourage him to consider playing publicly. Is there a D with wider finger spacing than normal?
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

A quick eyeballing of some of my soprano D's indicates that my Thin Weasels have a bigger 1-2 hole spread than the others. Perhaps a Water Weasel D is an option?
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

clarification: its the two top fingers on his right hand

top of whistle xxxXXx
these two

Geez it was tough showing this! Forgive all the edits, folks!
Jorge Luis Borges

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tyghress on 2001-11-28 09:08 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tyghress on 2001-11-28 09:08 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tyghress on 2001-11-28 09:09 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tyghress on 2001-11-28 09:10 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tyghress on 2001-11-28 09:11 ]</font>
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

What about a low G? He could still play in D then.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I should also mention that the clarke also has a fairly wide strech between 1-2 but then holes 4-5 are very close, which he would also find uncomfortable I'm guessing. Many whistles are like this (close 4-5) so you may have a tough time finding something with good spacing between all fingers.

Really the solution here is obvious: In order to accomodate your husband, you will now have to buy more whistles! :smile: A nice pair of C's....and Bb's.....and perhaps even A's and G's...are now in order. This is the perfect excu.....reason to buy more whistles. Why buy him one D, when you can now justify buy yourself a couple of new lower pitched whistles, one of which he can use from time to time.

I see no problem here. Hee hee :smile:

Loren B.
Author of the bestseller: "Rationaliztion Made Easy."
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

What about trading in your husband for a slim-fingered model?
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Oops, sorry I misread your post then. Still, the Thin Weasel also has a longer 4-5 stretch than my other soprano D's, so it's likely the Water Weasel would as well. The second half of my last post still applies however :smile:

Loren
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

perhaps a low d for your hubby? Then you could get some really nice duets
Whoa Jim

Post by Whoa Jim »

Water Weasel wins this one.As you can tell by my username I am long on samples .but short on capability. The WW is a great whistle with a good 4-5 stretch. Probably beats the trade-in suggestion.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Maybe you might get both of you
a Bflat, or whatever, and play
duets on them.

Also Maybe he'll get used to the D.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jim stone on 2001-11-28 11:51 ]</font>
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I'm compiling a list of suggestions. No one has offered to pare down his fingers yet. Or do the whistler's equivalent of foot binding.

Water Weasel, hmmmm?
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Wow, I never noticed that before. The Water Weasel D does indeed have a bigger 4-5 stretch than any of my other D whistles.

Still, while the WW is a much better whistle, I note that the stretch on my Susato D is nearly as large...
ThorntonRose

Post by ThorntonRose »

Get a him an A (for A & D), a G (for G & C), and low D. You can get a set from Dixon for a very reasonable price.
Poppin' Fresh

Post by Poppin' Fresh »

In my experience, I find that the diamater of the whistle actually has more effect on its playability than the spacing of the holes (on high whistles, anyway). Everyone has their preference, but I'd suggest letting him try a thicker whistle like a Susato- it may work for him.