Dale In Dell Hell II (Sequel Better Than Original)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I think it is a conspiracy by the makers of Windows and Windows PCs to keep users in the dark and in submission.
I feel the exact opposite, but maybe it's just what you're used to. I can fix just about any problem I have with a Windows based PC, but when I try to help my Dad with his Mac G4 it seems like getting to the nuts and bolts of a problem is next to impossible. Everything important and useful is buried under many layers of user-friendliness (which isn't really very user-friendly IMHO).

However, while I haven't tried OSX, I think the move towards a Unix based system is a nice idea and these probably don't crash much at all.

:party:

-Brett
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Dale,

You should downgrade to a more stable system like Windows 98 SE.
XP stands for eXtra Problems or eXtra Pain.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

DaleWisely wrote:I think that my next computer may well be a Mac.
Long as you get one with a floppy drive.
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Paul »

DaleWisely wrote:One of the best things about letting people know you are having trouble with a Windows machine is the 48 emails you get that read "Get a MAC!".

Having said that, I think that my next computer may well be a Mac.
Just wait until China gets ahold of Linux and microtechnology technology... Can you say 199$ high quality Linux PC? Just wondering... :D :D
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:Dale,

You should downgrade to a more stable system like Windows 98 SE.
XP stands for eXtra Problems or eXtra Pain.
Seconding Daniel here.

Likewise, if getting a Mac, stick to the "Classic" System if your first goal is stability. My G4 pixel power-cruncher never crashes, but remains on Mac OS 9.2.2.
Now, for Internet, music, and such uses, I don't see what could be needed more than an eMac. And still delivered with the choice of OS X and Classic.
Turner

Post by Turner »

I feel the exact opposite, but maybe it's just what you're used to. I can fix just about any problem I have with a Windows based PC, but when I try to help my Dad with his Mac G4 it seems like getting to the nuts and bolts of a problem is next to impossible. Everything important and useful is buried under many layers of user-friendliness (which isn't really very user-friendly IMHO).
True enough PC machines are really very very easy to fix problems on, mostly the problem is very minor, and like anything once you know how, you can do anything!

I belive that when you buy a MAC you pay for the attractiveness of the machine and all of the little toys that go with it. PC computers are far superior performence wise.

PC machines are always progressing, into faster more efficient machines, while the PC has advanced to the P4, the MAC team managed to bring us a new (rather cool looking) flat screen display on a stand (which looks like the Martians out of war of the worlds)

I suppose its personnal preference, and what ever gets you all hot under the coller to which machine you purchase and use.
You should downgrade to a more stable system like Windows 98 SE. XP stands for eXtra Problems or eXtra Pain.
Windows XP is by far the most stable operating sys brought out by MS!
Just wait until China gets ahold of Linux and microtechnology technology... Can you say 199$ high quality Linux PC?
Linux are going to rule the world one day, the software is excellent, the software is also dirt cheap compared to MS!! If you are networking computers, go linux it will save you untold $$$ on license fees!

NOTE The fact that Microsoft put bread on my table has nothing what so ever to do with my comments here :D
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

Commercially, I believe I am completely wrong that I chose Macintosh as PC, ITM as music. :D

But they both make me happy.
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

Turner wrote: I belive that when you buy a MAC you pay for the attractiveness of the machine and all of the little toys that go with it. PC computers are far superior performence wise.

PC machines are always progressing, into faster more efficient machines, while the PC has advanced to the P4, the MAC team managed to bring us a new (rather cool looking) flat screen display on a stand (which looks like the Martians out of war of the worlds)
Attractive they are. And the performance superiority of PCs is another myth that has never been documented. What PC's keep "improving" is the clock speed of processors which does not necessarily have anything to do with performance. Unless I am mistaken, a faster clock speed very often means a faster way to get to the bottleneck created by bus speed....
In bench tests, although Windows PC's always have a faster processor clock speed than Macs, Macs perform operations much faster than PC's.

But, hey! It's like with music. It's not always how fast you can play, right?
Turner

Post by Turner »

Attractive they are. And the performance superiority of PCs is another myth that has never been documented. What PC's keep "improving" is the clock speed of processors which does not necessarily have anything to do with performance. Unless I am mistaken, a faster clock speed very often means a faster way to get to the bottleneck created by bus speed....
In bench tests, although Windows PC's always have a faster processor clock speed than Macs, Macs perform operations much faster than PC's.
Iam both impressed and dazzled by your obviously superior knowledge of computers :o , and I agree with anything which you say :D

To be honest processor speed doesnt really matter at this moment in time, most software can curretnly be run by the comp, whilst most of the processor sits and smokes a cigerette, or reads a novel, or whatever processors do in their spare time.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Interesting thread...I have extensive experience with 2 i-Macs...one at home...one at school. Until last week, the one at home, which is used daily, had never crashed in 2 years of work, ranging from e-mail, through my daughter's games, to music and graphics desktop publishing...

It crashed last week...The reason was my misuse of new software. I am now educated on the issue...

The Mac at school has crashed 3 or 4 times in 3 years.

I certainly have no beef with MacIntosh. Among my wife's occupations is being a senior financial analyst for a bank holding company. Her PC and mainframe horror stories are a never ending source of amusement for me...

To each his own...Best to all.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
janice

Post by janice »

I LOVE MY MAC!!!!!
Don't give up and go over to the dark side, Dale! :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hmmm....why does it seem that I haven't had much trouble with my Windows XP? A few crashes since Aug./Sept. of last year, and 3 of them because of the ISP I use. Maybe the other shoe has yet to drop... :o
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I hear so many people who have Windows problems and they go and delete the whole hard drive and start fresh. I don't do that and hopefully will never have to. I've carried data and operating system over from my older machines and then overlay upgraded them.

I can go into DOS (I love DOS!) and replace any messed up Windows 98 SE files and get things going again.
XP doesn't like that mode of OS repair. I guess people will have to go to the computer stores where the SPE's (Self-Proclaimed Experts) format hard drives and start everything over each time there is a problem.
Turner

Post by Turner »

I can go into DOS (I love DOS!) and replace any messed up Windows 98 SE files and get things going again.
XP doesn't like that mode of OS repair. I guess people will have to go to the computer stores where the SPE's (Self-Proclaimed Experts) format hard drives and start everything over each time there is a problem.
Thats amazing Danial, I work in an Ms call Centre and I must speak to about 10 to 20 customers per day, who have been to the old SPE in the shop, and had their hard Drive wiped completly, apparantly these days its the only solution to ANY problem!! Most of the time the customer has an OEM version, and hasnt even got a back up CD to get the OS back on the Computer!! In which case they have a useless box siting around until they gather the funds for a full packaged box of a WIn OS. These SPE should be lined up against a wall and shot, I have to speak to some really distraught people, who have lost University work, or need their computers to communicate! It a terrible state of affairs.

Its always best having one friend who is really good with computers!! My Friend Del luckily has saved me lots of money to date!!
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Well, I'm back up. After several attempts to re-install Windows XP in the "upgrade" mode, I bit the bullet and did a "new install." Mercifully, this didn't wipe out the files on my HD as thoroughly as I had feared. I did have to re-install several applications but it could have been worse. I was able to find all of my email files and so on. Still have a few glitches to work through but things are looking up.