Really OT: So... how tough are you?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sunnywindo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Really OT: So... how tough are you?

Post by Sunnywindo »

In the age of reality TV, where people compete to see how long they can stand to sit in a tub full of tarantulas, how many digusting things they can stand to eat, how well they can jump off a ten story building, or any other number of dangerous and/or gross acts... comes a true story that would make even the most gutsy of those competetors shudder to think of having to face a similar situation. An incredible story, the sort of which one doesn't run across every day. For those of you who haven't yet heard the tale from your favorite news station or paper, here it is... for your reading amazment, a story about a very tough man and a very large rock. :o All I can say is OUCH!!! :boggle:

Here's the link:
<a href="http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,859 ... l">Climber Chose to Amputate Own Arm in Life or Death Decision</a>

In all seriousness though, can you imagine being driven to do this? Would you be able to do what this man did when it came down to it? We never really truely know until we are in such a situation. It's something to think about. But in thinking about it, I personally don't think I could do that. I can imagine myself facing a lot of things... but not what this guy did. Hats off to him!

Image Sara

(Afterthought.... I hope this guy wasn't hooked on playing whistles.)
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

When I was on Outward Bound last summer one of the counselors told us a similar story--except the guy's foot got pinned rather than his hand, but he used a pocketknife too. Definitly made me think, too. To think, a pocket knife ...eek! With such a small blade it must have taken forever. Amazing what some people can/will do. Don't know if I'd have the kind of steel to withstand that!
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
Jack

Post by Jack »

I have a morbid fear of loosing my limbs, and I can't honestly say I'd be able to cut off my own arm like that guy did. I'd lay there and die probably before I'd be able to do that.

I say this now, but I've never been in that situation, so I don't definately know for sure what I'd do. I suppose.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Soineanta wrote: To think, a pocket knife ...eek! With such a small blade it must have taken forever. Amazing what some people can/will do. Don't know if I'd have the kind of steel to withstand that!
Hey, at least the guy had a pocket knife, it actually could have been worse if he hadn't had anything sharp enough to do the job.

Still, totally sucks to have to make that choice.

Loren
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

well I've heard of foxes chewing their leg off to get out of a jaw-trap, but that's just nuts... :o
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

How tough am I? When the time comes, I'll let you know.

Just so long as I don't have to cut off my hands, or my...never mind. :o

:D
Jack

Post by Jack »

Just so long as I don't have to cut off my hands, or my...never mind.
I imagine it would be rather difficult to cut off both of your hands like that.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I wish I could say I'd be able to do something like that, but I guess none of us knows until the time comes. I remember reading the article...the guy was out of water and knew that there was little or no hope of help coming before he died of thirst and exposure...still, it takes a certain kind of grit to be able to do something like that, even if you know it's likely your only hope of survival! My hat's off to him, that's for sure.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Think that's tough? Try going through a divorce.
Or ministering to your dying child. You want
to go on living, you have to be ready to
gnaw off things dearer to you than
body parts. It's a rough world.
Maybe the toughest thing in life
is letting go. Best
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Not to take anything from the guy but after five days trapped and two without water, not only was he in all probability delirious and in shock, but his only real option was to die without doing anything. It may be that he took the easiest route. I also question the overall mental fitness of someone climbing alone in a wilderness area, something no intelligent climber would ever do.

As for whether I, or anyone else, could do it, there's only one way to know. Hopefully, we won't get the opportunity to find out.
Rockymtnpiper

Post by Rockymtnpiper »

I also question the overall mental fitness of someone climbing alone in a wilderness area, something no intelligent climber would ever do.
Absolutly positively correct.

Hopefully when this young buck makes the rounds on the talk show circuit.. he will have the courtesy to appear on the Dennis Miller and/or Bill Maher Show.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

You two are simply incorrect: I could make a list a mile long of highly intelligent climbers who venture out alone regularly, it is not at all uncommon - this guy was quite experienced and well within the range of his capabilities. The mistake he made was not letting anyone know where he was headed and when he expected to be back. Still, it's not that uncommon among experienced hikers/climbers, especially when you aren't planning anything unusually risky. This guy just got unlucky, it's not everyday a boulder drops on you.

Loren B.
NOLS Grad (National Outdoor Leadership School)
Climbing Instructor and Former Climbing Gym Manager
Former Colorado Resident (Aspen and Boulder)
Current Flatlander :( :( :(
Always carries a sharp knife in the back country :boggle:
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I don't think that I could be that tough as to cutting off an limb. My sport -- sea kayaking has its dangers ---- drowning for one -- over exposure etc. etc.. But I am guilty of what Loren has brought up. Not telling someone where I am or going and that has got me into trouble.

In some cases, it is other boats, sea doos etc. that create problems for me. Like being run over, swamped, then being hit.

And by the way ---- welcomed back Loren! It's good to hear from you,\

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Loren wrote:You two are simply incorrect: I could make a list a mile long of highly intelligent climbers who venture out alone regularly, it is not at all uncommon - this guy was quite experienced and well within the range of his capabilities. The mistake he made was not letting anyone know where he was headed and when he expected to be back. Still, it's not that uncommon among experienced hikers/climbers, especially when you aren't planning anything unusually risky. This guy just got unlucky, it's not everyday a boulder drops on you.

Loren B.
NOLS Grad (National Outdoor Leadership School)
Climbing Instructor and Former Climbing Gym Manager
Former Colorado Resident (Aspen and Boulder)
Current Flatlander :( :( :(
Always carries a sharp knife in the back country :boggle:
I think he actually did let people know where he was planning to be and when he expected to return...the problem was, no one expected him back for another couple of days, and he'd have never held out that long with no water. At least that's what I remember from the CNN article.

I'm no climber (too acrophobic!), but I do day hike by myself quite often...and you're right: No matter how careful and experienced you are, something can always come up that you hadn't planned for. Even when I'm just tramping around Mount Hermon, I carry a day pack with some emergency supplies (including a Swiss Army knife!) and way more water than I ever think I'll need...but there's always the possibility that something will happen I'm not prepared for. It's one of those calculated risks one takes, I guess. :)

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Turner

Post by Turner »

As a keen outdoor pursuits enthusiast I was very interested in this story, which by the way even made it accross the pond and featured on BBC world news.

It is scary to even contemplate being in a situation where a decision like this has to be made. And if I think about this right now, I would say that I havent got the balls to cut off a limb.

BUT (its a big but) its not the first time I have heard a story like this, does anyone remeber the American Fisherman who did exactly the same thing, when he caught his arm in a winch whilst out fishing alone?

The truth is that our own insticts of self preservation are so strong, that most people in the same situation would take the necessary action to survive. Most people would be suprised at the things they do in a life threatening situation, but we are all equiped with insticts which are designed to keep us alive.

Fair play the the guy though, he must have some balls of Steel! Hope he does hit the chat show circuits, and get himself enough cash together so that he can get himself a new arm!

Also...Iam agreeing with Loren, if an individual has enough experience, there isnt any reason why he shouldnt be out alone.

In the age of the modern GPRS mobile phones, I very rarely tell people exactly where iam off to climb or walk, and if i do,i often change my mind and go else where! After all I do this sport to get away, and get a sense of achievment out of it, not to go to a fav climbing spot, where people know where iam, and iam safe!

You have alot of Qualifications there Loren, I would love to gain some of those qualifications and work full time in the outdoor industry, its just trying to get the cash together to pay for them!! They are pretty expensive qualifications over here in Europe, is it the same in the US??