Absolutely OT: My Hometown

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Absolutely OT: My Hometown

Post by Paul »

Ah ahm prahad tah say that Ah am an Atlanna native. :) and a veritable storehouse of worthless information.

Most people who live here think that this is the Peach State. Well, it is... But umm it is actually the Peanut State... We had to come up with something... Well, girls, would you rather be a "Georgia Peach" or a "Georgia Peanut". :D The thing is, though, that the whole "Peach" thing, is actually a big misunderstanding. You see, round or about 1821 or so there was a deal made not far from where I am sitting right now. The Creek Indians gave over a lot of land to the American Government at the standing Pitch Tree which was actually a kind of pine tree. Well, "Pitch" pretty much became "Peach" and there you have it. Now we have 57 different "Peachtree" streets, roads, avenues, blablabla... in Atlanta with nary a Peach Tree alongside any of 'em.

The area where my business is located is called Buckhead. the place got its name around or about 1843 because the guy who originally homesteaded the area built a tavern there, got a post-office box and eventually hung a Buck-Deer's head on a post somewhere outside the tavern. There is an old Plantation down the road from where I work That General Sherman used as his headquarters for a while during the war. He made reference to the area "Buck Head" on the ledger there. There were more than one attempts to change the name of the neighborhood, but they met with no success. If anyone is actually interested I have more information about it.

Atlanta's streets are no more than paved-over Indian trails. It's totally disorganized. :) Next time you fly over, take a look. :D

Does anyone have any cool info about their hometown?
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I live in Orwell, New York, a village of about 350 souls.

This house was built in the late '40s (that would be eighteen forties), at a time when the village was planning to build some roads. The house was situated according to the layout of the to-be-built road that was to run in front of it.

Well, as it worked out, if you go in what you would consider to be the BACK door, based on where the streets that actually did get built are, you find yourself in a foyer with the main staircase of the house. The road that was to go in front of the house never got built, so the nearest road faces the other side of the house, which would be the back according to the room layout. Very confusing, but a pleasant house nonetheless.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Well, I don't really have a hometown, but the closest I've got is the town where I currently live, Delavan, Wisconsin.

It's a small town of about 7,000 in the Southeast corner of our lovely state, along the Illinois border. It was founded as a temperance colony by a man named Phoenix (don't remember his first name), and it was named after Charles Delavan, a leader in the temperance movement.

In the 19th century Delavan was the winter home of about 18 circuses (I still don't understand why they chose to WINTER in WISCONSIN!) In fact, P.T. Barnum came up for the idea of the "Greatest Show on Earth" here in Delavan - a sign designates the spot, but the sign moved from outside the (now closed) movie theater to next to the fire station a few years ago, I don't know which spot is correct! And legend has it that an elephant was "buried" at the bottom of Delavan Lake - supposedly it died during the winter, and the ground was too frozen to bury it, so they drug it out to the middle of the lake, and when the ice thawed.....

I would guess that we're the only small town in America that has statues of an elephant and a giraffe in its downtown, as well as lion head bubblers (drinking fountains for those not from Milwaukee). The Clown Hall of Fame used to be here, but alas it moved a few years ago for financial reasons.

Delavan is also the home of Andes Candies, those little green chocolate mints often seen in restaurants and hotels. Lake Lawn Lodge is a lovely resort on Delavan Lake that is frequented by the "Illinois people" as we call them (among other things). There are several other nice resorts in the area as well. And we just got a SuperWalmart and a Kohl's department store, so we are big time now! You're welcome to visit anytime.

No Irish pubs, but there is a good Italian take out place.......

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Wow, an 1840's house. That's got to be great fun. Did you research the history of this house? Did you have to do any restoration or renovation?
Got any pictures? I love old houses.

I too live in a little town, Castlewood was originally Castle's Woods, named after a man of that name who was the first pioneer to settle here. Our only claim to fame is that one of Daniel Boone's sons was killed by indians here as they were traveling to Kentucky. Oh, and Patrick Henry's sister , who married another of the early settlers is buried right in front of my daughter's house. The big monument is a local oddity.

My house is old, but not nearly as old as yours. It's a Craftsman Bungalow that my husband's grandparents built in the late 1930's for $900.(2500sq ft) to replace the old family log house that stood here.Tom's grandmother designed it, a Sears custom house. His dad said they lived in the garage while this house was being built.

It's a great house, with all the irritations of an old house(no insulation, sagging floors- since they used the old logs from the old house to be the floor joists, and recycled some of the doors). It also has all the perks of an older house, big rooms, real linoleum rugs that still look great, old 5' long cast iron kitchen sink, great woodwork, fireplaces that work and put out lots of heat when the power goes out. We were lucky that no one had "modernized anything". Best of all is the big front porch, complete with old swing and old oak porch rockers. Great in the evenings this time of year!
Last edited by cowtime on Sun May 04, 2003 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

San Jose, California, was the original state capitol - for one session of the legislature. The existing facilites were so lacking (and the city was so far from the gold mines) that the capitol was moved to Sacramento for the next session, where it's remained since.

However, the most productive mine in state was within the current city limits. Not a gold mine, but the New Almaden mercury mine (mercury was used to extract gold from the ore, among other uises) . The mines ran full time for more than 50 years, and sporadically for another 50 or so. The deepest shaft is 2300' deep, starting from an elevation of 1700' - that's right, it went 600 feet below sea level (and needed to be constantly pumped)

For the last 30 years that ridge of hills has been Almaden Quicksilver County Park, on the southern border of San Jose - 1-2 miles across, 5-6 miles long, and nearly 2000' higher than the valley floor. Over 40 miles of hiking trails, and full of wildlife. Since we live less than a mile away, we hike there at least once a week - I routinely see deer, rabbit, quail, wild turkey, and bobcat. And though I haven't seen them myself, the rangers report that there are at least two cougars ("mountain lions") that live in the park (verified by friends, including my next-door neighbor, who *have* seen them). So a major city of nearly 1 million people (11th largest in the US) has mountain lions living unconfined.
skh

Post by skh »

I don't have a hometown, but I can tell something about the city I currently live in.

There's a hill, and a river flowing near it. The oldest part is probably the castle on the hill, and the settlement just below it. For quite some time, there were two cities, one north and one south of the river, both complete with city wall and a large church. In fact, the two cathedrals still dominate the old town, and for the old families living here it's a major difference whether you're from the north or the south.

Back when what is now germany was a patchwork of kingdoms and counties, the Kaisers (Emperors), travelling around to govern the Reich always came here to hold the first Reichstag (assembly of kings and nobles to discuss important politics) of their career in the castle, just after being crowned in Worms (about 400 miles away in the west). As this didn't happen too often, the castle was unfurnished, and the rich upper class of the city provided the nobles with furniture and household items for the duration of their stay.

Later, the well-known painter Albrecht Duerer lived here, as well as some well-known woodwind makers. If you've ever seen or played recorders modelled after originals from the Denner family, these instruments were probably made here. The Germanic National Museum still has an awe-inspiring collection of historical instruments of all kinds. If you ever happen to be here - entrance is free on Wednesdays from 6 to 9 pm (or whenever they close. May be 8).

The first railway (at least in germany) ran from here to a small neighbouring town, Fuerth, which means that there's also a railway museum now.

In the last century, Hitler chose this place to hold his annual Reichsparteitag events and planned the buildings needed for that in a large area southeast of the city. Parts of them are still there, parts have been destroyed, flooded, built over or just not finished before the Reich ended. It's hard to imagine how many people the complex was meant to accomodate, but parts of the campgrounds are now a suburb.

After the war, there was not much left of the city. Most of the historic buildings, including the city wall, have been restored, but there are many modern (and rather ugly) houses within the old city wall ring as well. It still looks ancient enough to attract oversees tourism, but history has moved elsewhere. The last 50+ years have been uneventful, which is not the worst thing to happen.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Great stories so far.

Should I post Tom Lehrer's words to "My Home Town"?

I'm from Kalamazoo, Michigan USA. Started as the village of Bronson in 1829 the name was changed in 1838 to Kalamazoo. Kalamazoo supposedly means "boiling water".

Situated conveniently between Detroit and Chicago Kalamazoo drew several industries to the area.

Agriculture consisted primarily of celery. The neighboring town of Portage began as a market place for celery growers.

The paper industry used to be very large in the Kalamazoo area with the town of Parchment being named, obviously, after said industry.

Apparently there's an Australian company named Kalamazoo. A new type of paper binder had been invented here and the company began making them in Australia.

Kalamazoo has the distinction of having had the first outdoor mall in the United States.

We have two major hospitals with world reknown cardiovascular and burn treatment facilities as well as a massive residence program.

There were 4 colleges here but now only three. Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo College, Kalamazoo Valley Community College.

General Motors had a HUGE body plant here that closed in the mid 1990's due to tax disputes with an overzealous local government body.

Kalamazoo used to be home to a major pharmaceutical company, The Upjohn Company. "Upjohn's" (as people here mistakenly call it) merged with Pharmacia of Sweden then with G.D. Searle and Monsanto.
This year we were swallowed by Pfizer. A huge piece of Kalamazoo heritage erased.

Gibson began here in Kalamazoo making mandolins and most of my music playing relatives have worked there at one time or another.

Checker Motors, makers of the great Checker Marathon also 'used' to be here but closed their doors some time ago.

Our weather is typical of this latitude (42 degrees north). Most of our snow is from Lake Michigan.

And there's a glacial morane just north of here near Grand Rapids.

We are also next door to Battle Creek, the cereal city.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

If you are going to have a home town, have one with a normal sounding name. My friend and I were crossing into the US and as usual they asked for place of birth. My friend said "South Porcupine, Ontario" ( a small town in the north) . The border agent told her "not to get funny with him" and proceeded to give her a hard time.

Liz
Hometown: Gravenhurst, Ontario
Jefferson

OT: My Hometown

Post by Jefferson »

Here in Florida, hometowns have been outlawed.

We are required to live in dormitories, called "subdivisions".
We buy our goods & services at concession stands, called "strip malls".
Restaurant & retail is only permitted for corporate chains.
Our children our educated in factories, called "public schools".
We are required to spend a certain number of hours per week participating in a slow-moving automobile parking lot, called "commuting".

I've heard rumors that there are still some actual neighborhoods in Florida that haven't been targeted, acquired & annihilated by the Dept of Transportation &/or real estate developers. But I've haven't seen a neighborhood with my own eyes in years.

(OK, so maybe I'm exaggerating. A little.)

If you've got a hometown, hang on to it...
"Shall I tell you where the men are who believe most in themselves?....The men who really believe in themselves are all in lunatic asylums." -- G. K. Chesterson

J.M.Payne
Oviedo, Florida
Jack

Post by Jack »

I don't live in a town, but the 3 closest to me are Man, Oceana, and Logan. The only one that I'm certain how it got named is Logan. We have a Chief Logan State Park and other things around here with Chief Logan on them. Oceana, we're nowhere near the ocean. Man, we're nowhere near the Isle of Man. Go figure.

Oceana is pronounced O•see•anna. Not Osh•unna.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

:lol: how true, Lizzie!

My mother's hometown was Alexandria, a small town in central Ukraine. There must be about twelve Alexandrias scattered all over Eastern Europe and minor Asia, this not to mention the US...

When, back in '45, me Mom arrived in France as a DP refugee, the mairy book-keeper asked her birthplace and swiftly filled in Alexandria, adding... Egypt, probably to show off his deep knowledge of geography.

At this time, these passport booklets were numbered, and filled-in by clerks with a pen and violet ink and their skillfull cursive handwriting. So there was no way this clerk would admit his mistake and, well, what's the point arguing?

A few years later when applying for a new passport, my mother had a hard time convincing authorities she was not Egyptian ...

Now, in her way she was lucky: her Alexandria being in Ukraine, not Russia, it escaped changing names in 1917, 1925, and back in 1991... Think of these Russians who were born in Petrograd, lived their life in Leningrad and are currently retired in St-Petersburg, without ever moving.
Last edited by Zubivka on Mon May 05, 2003 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
U2

Re: Absolutely OT: My Hometown

Post by U2 »

[quote="The area where my business is located is called Buckhead. [/quote]

If I was you, I'd be eatin' at Fat Matt's Rib Shack at least twice a week and increasing my exercise regime accordingly!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Well, Paul, you already covered my hometown, because I was born and raised in Atlanta (aka Etlanna). However, I'd like to throw in a couple of other tidbits about it. It wasn't originally called Atlanta. It was Terminus, because it's where a couple of train lines came together. Later it was renamed Marthasville, after the daughter of the governor at the time. Finally it became Atlanta (same root as Atlantis and the Atlantic Ocean).

Atlanta was originally part of DeKalb (pronounced de KAB) County but was not the county seat (Decatur was). Eventually, Atlanta grew to be larger and more important than Decatur, and it was felt that it should be county seat. However, rather than just move the seat from Decatur, they split the county in two, creating Fulton County, of which Atlanta is the county seat.

:-)
Steven
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

Original Hometown: Arcadia, CA, USA (i'm currently off at college)

Founded by Lucky Baldwin a while back, who had the intention of creating a gambling town, and built up around the Santa Anita Racetrack, which still hosts some of the finest horses and jockeys. Every city around here has its own story, even though they are now nearly indistinguishable suburbs of Los Angeles.

And California currently produces more peaches than Georgia. :D

---antstastegood---
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I'm always happy to tell people about my hometown (the city I grew up in, that is)…Spokane, Washington. But first, a few things Spokane is NOT:

1. It is not anywhere near Seattle. In fact, it's nearly 300 miles east of Seattle, so if you hope to see the Space Needle, you have a long drive ahead of you. That's OK, no need to rush…Spokane has plenty of other things for you to see.

2. It is not the "poor stepsister" of cities in Western Washington. It is, in fact, a thriving economic and cultural center in its own right…the hub of a vast agricultural and mining region known as "The Inland Empire."

3. It isn't rainy. Few outsiders realize this, but fully 3/4 of the state of Washington lies in the rain shadow of the Cascades, and sees little precipitation at all, outside of deep winter snows and the occasional summer thunder storm.

4. It doesn't rhyme with "cocaine." The name of the city is pronounced "spoh-CAN." More on the unusual spelling in a bit.

The city of Spokane lies in a beautiful river valley near the foothills of the Bitterroot Mountains, about 30 miles from the Washington/Idaho border. Its namesake river rises from Lake Coeur d'Alene in Northern Idaho and breaks into a magnificent waterfall as it passes through downtown Spokane en route to its meeting with the mighty Columbia. Originally, the valley was part of the territory of a peaceful Native American people who called themselves "Spokan-ee": The Children of the Sun. The first white settlers were a pair of outlaws who encountered the valley as they were fleeing the law with a band of ill-gotten horses. They decided to give up a life of crime and built a cabin and a sawmill on the banks of the river near the falls. Gradually a town named Spokan Falls grew up around the sawmill, made up mostly of lumberers and fur trappers. The Spokan-ee were evidently unbothered by this turn of events, as they never tried to reclaim the valley, and, in fact, remained on good terms with the settlers.

Spokane might have faded eventually into a ghost town if it hadn't been for the coming of the Union Pacific and Burlington Northern railroads. All of a sudden, the little town became a boomtown, as cattle and tree fruit flowed in from the Yakima and Wenatchee Valleys, along with wheat and legumes from the Palouse, lumber from the mountains, and, most financially significant, silver from Northern Idaho. Fortunes were made virtually overnight, and you can still visit the magnificent Victorian mansions the newly rich city fathers built on Spokane's still wealthy South Hill and in the formerly upscale Browns Addition.

In the late 1800s, tragedy nearly destroyed the newly bustling city when a fire (ostensibly caused by one of the local ladies of the evening, who left her curling iron unattended while entertaining a client…though that may be more legend than fact) turned the entire central district to ashes. Two good things arose from from those ashes, however…the first was a waffle tent set up the very next morning by an enterprising French immigrant named Louis Davenport, which grew to become Spokane's first and most elegant "grand hotel." The second was a grid system for the newly constructed city streets, which makes it possible for just about anybody to navigate the city with ease (the first of its type in the Northwest).

Around the same time, one of the city leaders proposed changing the name of the city from "Spokan Falls" to "Spokan-ee," to honor the people whose peaceful acceptance of settlers on their land had made the city's growth possible. Unfortunately, a clerk charged with making the change official misunderstood…told to "drop the word "Falls" from the name and to add "ee" to "Spokan," he wrote the name "Spokane"…and Spokanites have been correcting outsiders' pronunciation of our city's name ever since! Even the
Spokan-ee bowed to the inevitable, and are now known as the Spokane Tribe. A warning to all…details do matter!

Another city father left the city a more pleasant legacy. He greatly missed the lilacs of his native Midwest, and got a law passed requiring every property owner in the city to plant at least one lilac bush. The law has long-since been off the books, but the lilacs remain, and turn the city's air to pure ambrosia every spring. A huge, city-wide festival heralds their blooming every May, and Spokanites are proud to tell people that we live in "The Lilac City." To this day, the faintest scent of lilac takes me right back to my childhood.

In 1974, Spokane played host to a Word's Fair: Expo '74. Expo established a lot of "firsts": It was the first American World's Fair to be held in a downtown area (Seattle Center is downtown now, but it wasn't in the 1960s, when the fair was held…rather, downtown has grown to encompass it). It was the first World's Fair to be held on an island (Havermale Island, in the middle of the Spokane River). It was the first World's Fair with an environmental theme. Most important, it was the saving grace of downtown Spokane at a time when most medium-sized cities were seeing their central business districts disintegrate in favor of suburban shopping malls. The buildings received a much-needed facelift, new shops and department stores were attracted by the hoards of visitors and stayed to serve eager inhabitants, and an extensive "skywalk" system (second largest in the country) was built so that downtown shoppers could browse in comfort, despite summer's heat or winter's snow and ice. Expo's remaining legacy (aside from the vital downtown shopping area) is Riverfront Park: Nearly 100 acres of green space, featuring two outdoor stages (one of which floats right on the river), a small carnival, a weekly farmer's market, a gondola ride nearly within touching distance of the falls and an gorgeous antique Looff carousel (the only one still operating that was hand carved by the master himself and not delegated to an apprentice…a gift to his daughter, who married a Spokanite). Every summer Riverfront Park hosts free concerts, street dances, festivals and arts fairs, drawing residents and visitors alike to downtown Spokane.

Another great thing that happened in the 1970s was the establishment of Washington's wine-growing industry. Most enophiles know that Washington has one of America's premier wine-growing regions, but many don't realize that all of the grapes and most of the wineries are in Central and Eastern Washington (again, nowhere near Seattle). There are several superb wineries either in or a short drive from Spokane, and they are particularly noted for their fine oak-aged Chardonnays and rich Merlots. If you're into wine, forget the Space Needle and focus on Worden and Arbor Crest!

Most people blow past Spokane on I-90 without a thought for what they may be missing. For example, did you know that Spokane has one of the most extensive botanical gardens in the Northwest? To my mind, Manito Park is second only to Butchart Gardens in Victoria, BC (and unlike Butchart, Manito is free). You can wander through the ethereal Italian formal garden, browse the extensive conservatory, stroll around the English-style rose hill, meditate in the Japanese Garden (a gift from our sister city of Nishinomiya, Japan) and view the newest varieties in the Lilac and Peony test gardens without spending a dime! Just down the hill from Manito is the Northwest's only authentic Norman Gothic-styled building: St. John's Episcopal Cathedral. St. John's dominates the Spokane skyline, and is a favorite retreat from the summer's heat (free tours are offered daily). The cathedral's rose window is one of the city's finest art treasures. On the northern side of the city, you can shoot the rapids of the Spokane River at Riverside State Park, then drive up to the old fur trading post at Spokane House to view petroglyphs made by the prehistoric ancestors of the Spokan-ee. Who needs big pointy buildings when you have all that at your disposal? Oh, and don't forget the Museum of Native American Cultures…one of the finest collections of Native American arts and artifacts anywhere.

If you happen to find yourself in Spokane on the first Saturday in May, don't miss the nation's second largest fun run: The annual Lilac Bloomsday Road Race. Just about everyone who can walk or run participates in this rolling, grueling 12K party (which also attracts most of the running world's top seeds), and that Bloomsday T-shirt will get you into a lot of fun, including parties, half-price dinners and free beer! Don't try to buy one, by the way…a Bloomsday T-shirt has to be earned, and anyone who has finished the race would sooner sell you his right arm! By the way, the race DID used to take place on Bloomsday (the founder was a Joyce fan), but was later moved to correspond with the annual Lilac Festival…hence the name.

Another thing I love about my city is its four distinct seasons. Hot, dry summers give way to gloriously colored autumns, snowy winters and breezy, lilac-scented springs. Summer there is the time for tubing or rafting the river, water skiing at one of the 70 or so lakes that dot the region or relaxing with a cold drink at an outdoor concert. Fall is for hiking or horseback riding through stands of Ponderosa Pine and red and gold maples. Winter brings snow skiing and snowmobile rides to "snow picnics" (outdoor chili feeds around a roaring bonfire). Spring brings people out in droves to fly kites, jog along the river in preparation for Bloomsday, and smell the flowers.

I guess you can tell I'm passionate about the city that nurtured me for the first 22 years of my life. Various circumstances have taken me elsewhere for many years. I still get a lump in my throat, however, every time I drive over the ridge on I-90 and see my city sitting like a jewel in its river valley. I wish others would take the time to know it and love it as I do.

So, next time you happen to find yourself speeding along I-90 in Eastern Washington, don't just grit your teeth and fix your sights on making it to Seattle. Stop a while. Take time to browse the shops and restaurants in Spokane's downtown (if you're a vegetarian, let me tell you now…Mizuna's on Howard Street downtown is the equal of Millenium, and blows Seattle's Café Flora right out of the water!). Take in a concert in Riverfront Park. Walk through our gardens, raft our river, tour our wineries, marvel at ancient Native American artwork. Taste a Washington apple the likes of which will never be seen in any supermarket at our Farmer's Market, and feel Eastern Washington start to seep into your soul. Washington is much, much more than Seattle and environs…and we'd love to share it with you. If you happen to be there in July, you might even see me…my body lives in California, but my relatives and a part of my soul will always live in Spokane. :)
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!