Which Whistles Have Large Tone Holes?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CDon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Which Whistles Have Large Tone Holes?

Post by CDon »

In another thread Here, the technique of half-holing for accidentals is being discussed again. I find myself using half-holing more and more, particularly on a C whistle to play chromatically for non-ITM music. And I find myself now using it mostly for C-nat on a D whistle. It is turning out not to be too hard to do, particularly on slower pieces.

Now to the question: It is my understanding that half-holing is easier on whistles with larger tone holes. This intuitively makes sense, but everything that I own has about the same sized holes so I can't make any meaningful comparisons. Finally the question: Which makes of whistles, in soprano D or C, have the largest holes? I have searched a bit, but I can't seem to find anything revelant. The only remark that I can recall reading is that Paul Busman's wooden whistles have holes that are larger than normal. Observations, anyone?
<i>"If music be the food of love, play on;" William Shakespeare – Twelfth Night, Act I, Scene 1</i>
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Water Weasels have among the largest holes, they play great, too.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I just looked at all my D whistles beside one another, and the Sweetheart has the largest holes, by far.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

My D whistles with large tone holes:

Cronnolly
Serpent
old-style Sweet
Sustato (original, not VSB)
Syn

All of these whistles are very chromatic and respond well to cross-fingering, as well, and all have large bores (in addition to the large bore that plays them). :D

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

The whistles I have with the easiest holes to half hole are my Susato Dublin, my Elfsong, and my Busman.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
elendil

Post by elendil »

i'd say my new sweetheart professional has by far the largest holes of any whistle i've seen--including other sweethearts. i find it extremely easy to half hole. i used to mostly do f natural, and i'd just shove my finger forward and tilt it up. with the new sweetheart i do a whole range of half holes: Eb, Fnat, G# (which i also do as xxoxxx) Bb, Cnat depending on circumstances. i find that on the big holes (like for Eb) it's very easy to 'retract' my finger for the half hole on the sweetheart.
elendil
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

peeplj wrote: Sustato (original, not VSB)
The two Susatos that I have (both of which are low whistles) are about the biggest toneholes I've seen, and they also have about the fullest volume.
All of these whistles are very chromatic and respond well to cross-fingering, as well,
The Susato recorders, I suppose are a good chromatic alternative to whistles. The closest thing to the "whistle with recorder holes."
and all have large bores (in addition to the large bore that plays them). :D
You might be a large bore, but I alas, fear that I might be apprised a large boor. Either way, it beats being called a large boar.
Reasonable person
Walden
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I make whistles in small, medium and large models. Bore size will have some impact on tonehole size as well.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Daniel, in your opinion, what is the lowest whistle that can be made? (Playable)
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

With keys or without keys?

What I call a Low-Low-A is the lowest whistle playable without keys.

Technically, the bore could folded and bent to bring toneholes within reach. Anything is possible - question is whether it is practical.

Whistles could effectively be playable just as low as the lowest Recorders are made (2 octaves below Low-C! - the bore is more like a telephone pole). However, traditional folk music is not written for whistles down in that range. I like low whistles and lower and lower, etc.

Much definition is yet needed for low-low whistles.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Well, when you get LOW LOW you need keys. That's a given. And while you're at it it might as well be chromatic. Question is, though, how low can you go before the whistle is impossible to blow? 3 octaves below Soprano D? 4? 5? 2"+ diameter holes? Telephone Pole bore?

Just wondering... :D

Anything's possible!
-Paul