Copeland or Overton Low D?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Marcus

Copeland or Overton Low D?

Post by Marcus »

I know this is almost a religious debate :P but I would like to get some opinions and experiences on the two makes of Low D whistles. Apart from the considerable price difference I have a hard time making up my mind which one to get.

I would appreciate any comments, insights and experiences from this very knowledgable crowd here. Things that come to mind: sound, air requirements, ease to play (i.e. manageable by a novice) etc.

Thanks in advance,
nickt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by nickt »

I've never played a Copeland but my Overton is special. Good volume, that lovely "reedy, buzzy" sound you get from the Overtons. Stretch is easy on the newer type with the smaller and closer-in hole 6.
Remember not to forget. Now, why am I here?
Jens_Hoppe

Re: Copeland or Overton Low D?

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Not a religious debate for me. ;)

Both whistles are of course very, very nice.

As for air requirements, both makers (Copeland / Goldie) can customize their whistles to a certain degree, to suit your preference in that regard, but my impression is (see another recent Copeland low D thread) that "standard" Copelands take more air than "standard" Overtons.

Both whistles are relatively easy to play, as low Ds go. A new Goldie-made Overton has (I believe) a shorter finger reach than any other low D out there, but the Copeland's reach is also very managable, and IMHO the much smaller diameter of (especially the lower part of) the Copeland's tube more than compensates for the slightly longer reach.

I believe your main criterium for choosing one of the whistles should be which sound you prefer. Overtons have the "classic" low whistle sound; imagine blowing into it and getting that ghostly "ooooh" sound back. :) Copelands, on the other hand, have a more flute-like tone, ranging from soft and silky, to hard and reedy if you lean into it (although some Overtons can be quite reedy too). In my opinion, a Copeland feels more like a "very big high whistle", whereas an Overton feels more like a different instrument altogether.

:)
Jens
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Well, I own a Copeland, and used to own an Overton (still own it, but the person I lent it to is an arse). If I didnt have any low whistle, I think that today I'd go with an Overton because it's half the price. You're getting much more than "half the price of a Copeland" whistle with an Overton, and I think it's the best value for the price.

I'm telling you this because I love both sounds, but I love Copeland's slightly more. If they were the same price, I'd go for a Copeland. But I think Overton is the best whistle out there considering the price, and Copeland is getting way too expensive for what it is.

So, if you don't care about money and an extra 200$US doesnt make a difference for you, go with the sound you prefer, if it is Copeland. If not, go with an Overton.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I've tried friend's Copeland Low Ds, and they are great. I was struck by they ease with which they play.

And still I wouldn't trade my Overton for one because of the visceral pleasure I get from playing the Overton. I've started and deleted about fives sentences, trying to describe it, and it is of course purely subjective. But the Overton sound and feel just does it to me.

Is there any way you can get to try these babies for a day or two? If you can find out what excites you more, that would be best. You can't go wrong, either way.
/Bloomfield
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Thanks, those posts help a lot already. Unfortunately I have no way of trying out or hearing any of the whistles, unless somebody here on this forum lives in the San Francisco area and would be willing to play one for me. :) Well, I kinda know what an Overton sounds like by listening to "The Beauty Spot" on one of the Solas CDs or the Live DVD, which is of course not the real deal, just a recording.

The biggest issue will be to get my hands on an Overton, I have already tried pretty much any store that I could find, also sent an email to Colin Goldie about wait times but no reply since days (maybe on holiday or something).
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Yes, it's a holiday in Germany (May 1st, Tag der Arbeit) and generally, it may take Colin & Brigitte a while to respond.

If you live in San Fran, I am sure there are whistlers around. My advice would be this (feel free to ignore, of course):

First off, don't rush into a low D. How long have you been playing? You should be pretty solid on the high D before attempting the low D (DISCLAIMER: I didn't follow this advice, but whish I had).

Do you go to listen to session? Are you in contact with other bay area whistlers? Find the sessions, use C&F to find area whistles, and don't just listen to Copeland & Overton (and Burke etc) low Ds. Play them. You might even be able to find someone willing to lend you a low D for a weekend. That is really the best thing.

You should also note that if you have never played an Overton before (and are not an experienced wind player), you will have to adjust to it: Overtons, especially a low D, really require you to play with proper breath support and pressure. That is very different from most other whistles that you merely breathe into in the gentlest fashion. (But, oh Boy, is it worth learning to play a Big O).
/Bloomfield
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Hey there,

Someone mentioned in another thread -- sorry, can't remember who -- that they'd sold their Copeland and bought (in their case) an O'Briain, because they wanted a whistle that sounded like a whistle, not one that sounded like a flute.

I play a Goldie Overton low D, partly for that reason. I also play flute, so I don't need to have a whistle that sounds like one. (However, if anyone was about to send me a Copeland anyway, you should go ahead.)

You might try looking at the recordings posted here:

http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm

as many of the recordings note the whistle used, and I'm pretty sure both Copelands and Overtons are in evidence. Maybe that'll give you an idea of their respective sounds and help you in your decision.

You might also try listening to the O'Briain whistles at www.whistleanddrum.com , as they've been getting good reviews, and have quite a unique sound unlike either Overton or Copeland (but still distinctly "whistle-y"). I'm considering a low F, myself, once I figure out my car situation (long story, theft, insurance stalling, etc. . .)

Good luck, and have fun.
MacEachain

Post by MacEachain »

Hi,
with regard to O'Briain whistles, if you can, have a listen to Paddy Keenan on the CD "poirt an Phiobaire", Paddy plays an O'Briain low D. Whether you should get a Copeland or an Overton, that's a good question, I have a Copeland and it sounds different to any other Low D I've tried. I had a Chieftain which I liked, tried a long reach Overton which I didn't due to the finger position on the lower hand, I have a Kerry-Pro which I like. I find that the Copeland can go up to 2nd Octave B really easily compared to the others which are all cylindrical, the Overton had probably the best 1st octave, slightly better than the Kerry-Pro. The Kerry-Pro was more balanced with regard to air requirement/pressure over both octaves than the Overton. The Chieftain was pretty close to the Kerry-Pro, for obvious reasons (same spacing on the tone holes). To be fair to the Overton, my first low D was the Chieftain so the Kerry-Pro suited me better than the Overton. I should have tried a short reach Overton. If you like the sound of say Lunasa go for the Overton (or Chieftain, Phil Hardy isn't making the Kerry-Pro any more) otherwise go for the Copeland. On 2nd thoughts, get both :D

Cheers, Mac
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Good thread. I would agree with Jens that the key to understanding the difference is that Overton embodies a classic Low D sound and the Copeland tone can only be described as flute-like, to my ears anyway.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I think the Copeland is more flutelike than
a flute. It doesn't really sound like a flute, however,
because Irish flutes don't sound like flutes.
But personally I like it better than the
Overton, of which I'm one of the few
who has never been a fan. However
I like flutes better than either.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

I also play flute, so I don't need to have a whistle that sounds like one.
I don't really agree with that. The Copeland has a flute-like tone, but that doesn't mean it sounds exactly like a flute. Copelands still primarily sound like big whistles, but in order to distinguish their sound from that of other low whistles, a descriptor like "flute-like" is handy. Personally I enjoy playing both flutes and my Copeland low D.

Jens
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Yet again all you guys have been extremely helpful with your advise and suggestions. I listened to quite a few suggested sound samples and comparing what I heard to all the descriptions here I think that I somewhat prefer the sound the of the Overton given that I have to make a choice.

I also managed the almost impossible and found a tunable Overton in a store today and it's on the way here with 2nd day delivery service :)

The Copeland also sounds lovely, maybe I can someday afford it as well.

Thanks again,

:: marcus