May day

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mack.Hoover
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

May day

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Remember hanging may baskets on folkses door knobs?

Ok. Just use your imagination. I can't show you the picture. :x
Last edited by Mack.Hoover on Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

I tried three times but couldn't see it. :(
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

That's right!!! It's Bealtaine! Fertility rites! Drunken orgies! Virgin sacrifices! Pagan City, here we come! :party:
chas

Post by chas »

And tonight is Walpurgisnacht!
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Nope, I don't remember that. I do remember when I was a kid it was a yearly ritual at school. We always had a big ole Maypole, spent weeks practicing "winding" it correctly with colored ribbons as we danced around the thing, had a "May Court" and a king and queen were crowned. It was great fun. I haven't thought about that in years, in fact I bet my kids( in their mid-twenties) wouldn't even know what I was talking about . :-?
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

chas wrote:And tonight is Walpurgisnacht!
I forgot that May Eve is Walpurgisnacht. Appropriately, we're having thunderstorms tonight. <shudder>
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

cowtime wrote:We had a "May Court" and a king and queen were crowned. :-?
If there's a bustle in your hedge row, don't be alarmed now.
It's just a spring clean for the May Queen.

(Led Zeppelin - "Stairway to Heaven")
french

Post by french »

cowtime wrote:Nope, I don't remember that. I do remember when I was a kid it was a yearly ritual at school. We always had a big ole Maypole, spent weeks practicing "winding" it correctly with colored ribbons as we danced around the thing, had a "May Court" and a king and queen were crowned. It was great fun. I haven't thought about that in years, in fact I bet my kids( in their mid-twenties) wouldn't even know what I was talking about . :-?
in germany they do the pole thing & something called "tanz in den mai", which means dancing into may. germans, young and old, boogie from 30 apr -> 1 may. some fertility rites also observed.

- tom
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: May day

Post by Walden »

Mack.Hoover wrote:Remember hanging may baskets on folkses door knobs?
I remember folks telling me they used to do this.
Nanohedron wrote:Fertility rites! Drunken orgies! Virgin sacrifices! Pagan City, here we come! :party:
I'd rather not. Can I just have tea and cookies and read something by C.S. Lewis?
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Tomorrow is a BIG day for us...it's the day the children's Morris Troupe I play for makes its debut! Morris Dance is, of course, strongly associated with May Day (that "dancing in the May"), as well as with other festivals, both secular and sacred. The adult teams will be up at dawn at the lighthouse in Santa Cruz to dance the sun up...then the kids will meet them downtown to dance on the street.

I'm getting a bit nervous...other than our practices, I've never played for dancers. I do OK in rehearsal, but I'm so worried I'll flub something in performance and mess things up for the kids. Funny, when it's just me playing, I don't sweat it...if I make a mistake, who's likely to know? But the kids depend so much on the music to tell them what to do when and to keep their rhythm going....

Grrr...I've just got to stop worrying! I must have played these very simple versions of Shepherd's Hey and South Australia a thousand times, I'm NOT going to flub them!

:roll:

When I was a kid, we used to make May baskets out of paper strips, fill them with flowers and hang them on people's doors on May Day. I mentioned it to the kids today, and they'd never heard the like...hmmm...that might be a good project to suggest to the teachers next year!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Nanohedron wrote:That's right!!! It's Bealtaine! Fertility rites! Drunken orgies! Virgin sacrifices! Pagan City, here we come! :party:
Suitable viewing? How's about the cult film 'The wickerman'?
No doubt,many of you may have seen this,but for those who haven't,the gist of the story is that, a young girl is reported missing on a remote Scottish island,so a policeman(played by Edward Woodward-'Callan','The Equaliser') is despatched from the mainland to investigate.
Turns out that there's been a pagan revival on the island,led by lord Summerhill(Christopher 'Dracula' lee)
The film is a bit 70's horror campy in parts,but in essence is a good story,and the ending is still quite a shocker.
The 'folky' sound track is a bit embarrassing-in fact there's so many musical interludes you could almost class the film as a Horror-Musical!
Someone actually plays a RECORDER in the pub session scene (now that's REAL HORROR! :o )
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Cori

Here we go gathering ...

Post by Cori »

Redwolf wrote:Tomorrow is a BIG day for us...it's the day the children's Morris Troupe I play for makes its debut!
Best of luck, Redwolf. Looking forward to hearing how it all went!
All we have to decide is what to do with the tune that is given us.
Tweaked from Tolkien
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

kevin m. wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:That's right!!! It's Bealtaine! Fertility rites! Drunken orgies! Virgin sacrifices! Pagan City, here we come! :party:
Suitable viewing? How's about the cult film 'The wickerman'?
No doubt,many of you may have seen this,but for those who haven't,the gist of the story is that, a young girl is reported missing on a remote Scottish island,so a policeman(played by Edward Woodward-'Callan','The Equaliser') is despatched from the mainland to investigate.
Turns out that there's been a pagan revival on the island,led by lord Summerhill(Christopher 'Dracula' lee)
The film is a bit 70's horror campy in parts,but in essence is a good story,and the ending is still quite a shocker.
The 'folky' sound track is a bit embarrassing-in fact there's so many musical interludes you could almost class the film as a Horror-Musical!
Someone actually plays a RECORDER in the pub session scene (now that's REAL HORROR! :o )
Classic film! It has that spooky "everyone knows something awful and they're not telling me" feel running through it.

One of the best ever film endings ever! Being a 70s film there's a bit of female nudity, but they don't overdo it.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Best of luck Redwolf. If you keep training up youngsters then maybe one day I can finally hang up my bells (or at least malinger with the rest of the musicians). I shall expect a full report when I get back from my own weekend of celebrations.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
rbm

Post by rbm »

As a child (about 30 years ago) I lived in Bedfordshire and every year we would be dancing around the may pole and there would be a king and queen of may as well.

When I moved up to the wild heathen north this didn't happen, so is this an English celebration?

Richard.