An interesting thought...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Isilwen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

An interesting thought...

Post by Isilwen »

I was playing my brand-new MK III Feadog today, when I had an epiphany.

Maybe the reason why so many people before us have gotten so attached to their old cheapies, with the dents and the electrical tape, ect. rather than to expensive, high-quality instruments is because you "grow into" the whistle itself. Kind of. Like, you get to know all it's idiosyncracies and little imperfections, and that's what makes it unique, and therefore, very dear to you.

Maybe, that's the true "perfect" whistle.
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

You might be on to something there. I know the more I play a whistle, the more attached I grow to it, and the more I find I can get out of it.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
fatveg

Post by fatveg »

An interesting idea -- and one with a lot of truth in it I think.

A friend of mine used to play badminton for the county. He had a sponsorship deal with Yonex, where they gave him free raquets. Instead of getting one or two expensive ones, he got a whole bunch of cheap ones. He would always randomly select one for a game, and if one got marked in a way that made it recognizable he would discard it. He did this because he didn't want his playing to 'grow into' a particular raquet, and thus become dependent on it. He prided himself with being able to pick up any old raquet and thrash someone.

Not sure what to conclude from that but I thought it was interesting :roll:
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>
Jack

Post by Jack »

I definately grow attached to my whistles. Not to the point where I give them names (*wink*), but I grow attached.
lilymaid

Re: An interesting thought...

Post by lilymaid »

Isilwen wrote:Maybe the reason why so many people before us have gotten so attached to their old cheapies, with the dents and the electrical tape, ect. rather than to expensive, high-quality instruments is because you "grow into" the whistle itself. Kind of. Like, you get to know all it's idiosyncracies and little imperfections, and that's what makes it unique, and therefore, very dear to you.
I agree, you also get used to compensating for it's idiosyncracies. Like when I get a new whistle, I have to "get to know it" before I can make it sound right. I "know" my old Clarke the best, so I play it better, and it's the sound I'm used to, so I like how it sounds better than any other whistle.
Catch from the board of beauty
Such careless crumbs as fall.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay
BigEvilGrape

Post by BigEvilGrape »

I'm a trombonist deep down inside. And i can say for sure that as you switch between those instruments there are differences you have to learn and adjust too, I would imagine this is true of all instruments.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

fatveg wrote:An interesting idea -- and one with a lot of truth in it I think.

A friend of mine used to play badminton for the county. He had a sponsorship deal with Yonex, where they gave him free raquets. Instead of getting one or two expensive ones, he got a whole bunch of cheap ones. He would always randomly select one for a game, and if one got marked in a way that made it recognizable he would discard it. He did this because he didn't want his playing to 'grow into' a particular raquet, and thus become dependent on it. He prided himself with being able to pick up any old raquet and thrash someone.

Not sure what to conclude from that but I thought it was interesting :roll:
Lemme get this straight. Your county has a badminton team? A U.S. county? And they play other...counties?
madguy

Post by madguy »

Isilwen, after all the past questions and debates around here about the "perfect" whistle it appears that you have nailed down, IMHO, the one true definitive answer. As with so many things in life, the answer has been right in front of us all along, as obvious as the noses on our faces! Good on you!! :D

~Larry
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Also, there didn't really used to be such a thing as a high end whistle.
madguy

Post by madguy »

Point taken, Walden!
Now, I wonder how someone first came up with the idea to satrt making high end whistles? I suppose it was because some very accomplished players desired a better quality (?) instrument?

~Larry
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

BigEvilGrape wrote:I'm a trombonist deep down inside. And i can say for sure that as you switch between those instruments there are differences you have to learn and adjust too, I would imagine this is true of all instruments.
One reason I have loads of cheap whistles is because like the badminton guy, I don't want to get "locked in" to only being able to play one particular whistle. My theory is that the more you switch around, the quicker you can adjust to a new one. Plus I just like playing different whistles.

The flipside is that I spend too much time switching whistles and playing the same tune, and not enough learning new tunes.

I think having just one whistle that you carry everywhere means you will progress faster, at least as long as you're playing that whistle. It also helps the whistle grow seedy-looking quicker...
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Walden wrote:Also, there didn't really used to be such a thing as a high end whistle.
I don't think this is true. Don't forget that injection molding is a fairly recent technology (1940's or 50's?). The nicest whistle I ever played was over 100 years old and was made of heavy silver. One of my music books talks about whistlers coming through town in around 1840. This was before the Clarke company was founded. Then there's the Tim and Maddy song "Who will play the silver whistle?" The plethora of high-end companies is a recent phenomenon, but expensive whistles definitely predate cheapies.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

chas wrote:
Walden wrote:Also, there didn't really used to be such a thing as a high end whistle.
I don't think this is true. Don't forget that injection molding is a fairly recent technology (1940's or 50's?). The nicest whistle I ever played was over 100 years old and was made of heavy silver. One of my music books talks about whistlers coming through town in around 1840. This was before the Clarke company was founded. Then there's the Tim and Maddy song "Who will play the silver whistle?" The plethora of high-end companies is a recent phenomenon, but expensive whistles definitely predate cheapies.
Of course bone flutes & whistles predate everything by tens of thousands of years, but were they were priceless...
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

Agree with Lilymaid on the Clark it is such an easy whistle to play, and the soft sound is comfortable to be with. my Sindt is still my all-time favorite because I know what to do with it to get the sound I'm looking for.
The Susato (Dublin D) is growing on me, especially if I just feel like playing loud. Today is the 12th anniversary of my first wife's death, and it is usually a very depressing day for me; I think I will quietly play some tunes for her on the Clark.
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

madguy wrote:Isilwen, after all the past questions and debates around here about the "perfect" whistle it appears that you have nailed down, IMHO, the one true definitive answer. As with so many things in life, the answer has been right in front of us all along, as obvious as the noses on our faces! Good on you!! :D

~Larry
*curtsies* Why, thank you Larry! :) I feel so honored to possibly have solved the predicament/debate.
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë