Flute related novel

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MichaelM
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been pickin' at the flute for decades. Now retired, I am spending more time at it. Not a natural musician but I enjoy it. and so do my dogs. I joined C&F in 2013 but had lurked for a long time before that.

Flute related novel

Post by MichaelM »

Excuse the self-promotion but if anyone is a fan of historical fiction they might enjoy my recently published novel The Cannington Episode (author Michael Montcombroux) which has a flute related element to it. The female protagonist plays a Rudall & Rose 6-key. While flute playing is a relative minor part of the story, the novel must be one of the few where a character's life is saved by a wooden flute.
Available in print and digital from Amazon
Thanks Michael
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Flute related novel

Post by Terry McGee »

Now, I almost have a precedent. And with a surname like Montcombroux, you may well enjoy it.

Matthew Flinders was an explorer in the seas around Australia in the early 19th century. On heading back to England, his ship "The Investigator" suffered damage, so he pulled into the French colony of Mauritius for repairs. Unfortunately, England and France had lapsed back into war (Again? C'mon guys, haven't you better things to do?), and so he was detained as a potential spy for something like 6 years.

Flinders was, among other things, a flute player, and according to story, this proved to be of great benefit to him in his detainment. Instead of rotting in prison, he proved to be of amusement to those stationed on the island, and so was invited to many social functions. So it can be reasonably said that his flute, if not literally saving his life, certainly helped preserve his social life and probably mental health.

Why do I know all this? One of our leading Sydney theatre companies put on a play about Flinder's exploits, including his period in detention. So they needed a flute as a stage prop, right? And so they tapped me, naturellement. Fortunately they were able to find a good image of Flinder's flute, a typical English boxwood 6-key of the time, and my Bilton 6-key was a very reasonable match. I understand the actor had to learn to play a few phrases on it.

This heartfelt note to Flinder's wife Anne gives us a hint of his emotional state:

Comparatively with my situation in this island for the first 20 months I am now very happy; and yet I often retire to the little pavilion which is my study and bed room, and with my flute in my hand and sometimes tears in my eyes I warble over the little evening song of which I sent thee a copy. Ah, my beloved, then my heart overleaps the distance of half a world and wholly embraces thee.

Great to hear about the novel. We can't let those box players get away without a challenge! (Accordion Crimes, Annie Proulx). Or mando players (Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Louis de Bernières.) Are there others?
Holmes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Holmes »

I'd guess "Whistle down the wind" by Mary Hayley Bell might be stretching the point?

https://soundcloud.com/holmesflute/sets ... playlist-2
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

What pitch was the R&R supposed to be in the novel? Did R&R make any 6-key flutes other than the Bb, like this one: http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/rudall_Bb.htm ?
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

The earliest Rudall and Rose (no serial number) in Steampacket's register is a boxwood six key. The low c and C sharp came before the long F and c in terms of flute evolution.
Obviously band flutes were made but I don't know if only by Rudall, Rose, and Carte?
I remember a four key boxwood instrument said to be very similar to Chris Normans flute dimensionally that was reported on here many years ago.
JCortese
Tell us something.: I got interested in flutes because I already play piano and harp and am interested in instruments that aren't also furniture, and that you can get onto an airplane without getting into a fight with the gate agent.

Post by JCortese »

Terry McGee wrote:Fortunately they were able to find a good image of Flinder's flute, a typical English boxwood 6-key of the time ...
Well now, I'm curious!

A lover of flutes and cats: the good captain Flinders just got even better in my estimation. :-)

Update: Found it here! http://www.colonialdance.com.au/matthew ... .html#flut
--
Home flute: 6-key Copley & Boegli Delrin D
https://accidentalflutist.wordpress.com/
dubrosa22
Tell us something.: I'm interested in 19th and early 20th century wooden flutes. And Renaissance flutes. And also techniques for whistles.

Post by dubrosa22 »

Fascinating! I never knew Flinders was a flute fanatic... my primary school teacher failed!

^^Nice flutes too! :pint: ^^

V
'...I want to warn you that playing the flute is impossible for those who have no tongue, for all notes must be led by the tongue; therefore, those of you who take pleasure in playing the flute should guard your tongue against mould, which is to say, drink often.'
- Philibert Jambe der Fer (1556)
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

JCortese, I was somewhat dashed when on further investigation the Heather Clarke of ColonialDance was not the estimable Doctor and pipe instructor in Ireland. A good blog all the same!
Dubrosa22 your image needs a "public access" setting.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

MichaelM wrote: flute playing is a relative minor part of the story
I saw what you did there.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Holmes wrote:I'd guess "Whistle down the wind" by Mary Hayley Bell might be stretching the point?
I was thinking about classics like

The Flute of the Baskervilles
The Unbearable Lightness of Being a Fluteplayer
The Flutes of Wrath
The Fluter in the Rye
Wuthering Flutes
All Quiet on the Western Session
The Name of the Rudall & Rose
Tinker Tailor Fluter Spy
Flute of Darkness
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
MichaelM
Tell us something.: Been pickin' at the flute for decades. Now retired, I am spending more time at it. Not a natural musician but I enjoy it. and so do my dogs. I joined C&F in 2013 but had lurked for a long time before that.

Post by MichaelM »

<"kkrell"]What pitch was the R&R supposed to be in the novel?>

The key of the fictitious R&R remains unspecified. If a zealot reads the novel and fires off an angry "She couldn't play that on that," I shall be forced to shrug and reply, "Artistic licence."

Thanks for that wonderful account, Terry, of Mr. Flinders. Is he the same gent that had a mountain ranged named after him? (see what flute playing does for one!) My story is set on the Canadian prairies in 1884 and mostly in an upper-class English settlement by the name of Cannington Manor (which actually existed). These Brits attempted to recreate in the then unsettled West a typical English village, complete with pub, cricket grounds and all the class distinction and privileged lifestyle that came with it. Needless to say they came up sharp against Canadian pragmatism, not to mention prairie winters. I imagine there were similar ventures in Australia. I know of a couple in the United States.

Some interesting/amusing comments.
Michael
Tor

Post by Tor »

pancelticpiper wrote:
I didn't but now I do..
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Tor wrote:
pancelticpiper wrote:
I didn't but now I do..
What a difference leaving off the -ly makes.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
MichaelM

Post by MichaelM »

What a difference leaving off the -ly makes.[/quote]

Pancelticpiper, keen-eyed, indeed!

It was extreme negligent of me not to careful preview my post before hast pressing the submit button and assuming smug that it was perfect written.
Luck, no harm done (except to English grammar)
Michael
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

pancelticpiper wrote:
More interest here if it was the dominant part?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?