Merry Christmas! Anybody Get a Whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mickey66
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Merry Christmas! Anybody Get a Whistle?

Post by mickey66 »

Anybody Get a Whistle? I have an Kerry Optima Low D on its way to me! :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZHBCpU3BVs
dunnp

Re: Merry Christmas! Anybody Get a Whistle?

Post by dunnp »

My wife bought me a nice looking German flageolet. I have heard these instruments described as csakan but I was under the impression a csakan is a little different:
http://www.csakan.de/en/

In any case it's essentially a keyed whistle.

Unfortunately the blade looks damaged but I plan on trying a laminate insert.
The bottom octave is nice an full but it won't play above second d.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

You could perhaps get somebody to make a new head for it? It looks like a great instrument.

Or try a Sweetheart head on it, just to see. Ralph Sweet made large numbers of wooden high D whistles not unlike that.

(The third one down)

I didn't get a whistle for Christmas, but I picked up a used Alba Bass A shortly before Christmas.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

If you push the block of that Csakan in a tad you may find the higher notes easier to play. More air will go up and over the edge rather than down and in. Try it bit by bit.
I have a Von Heune alto recorder whose edge developed a chip. Friederich Von Huene himself repaired it for me to almost perfect condition. He somehow built the edge back up. I'll take a closer look and see if I can give you any suggestions.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
ScottMaurer

Post by ScottMaurer »

No whistles sadly but I did pickup that penny chanter that was on Ebay. It'll be nice to play some session tunes.

I also ordered a susato low E. Need something to play tunes in A on.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

OK-- it looks like he glued some very thin plastic* to the inside bottom of the blade, then filled the top surface with a wood tinted filler. This might be either epoxy with matching wood dust for color, or possibly cyanoacrylate glue dripped onto a small pile of that dust. Careful filing and sanding would be necessary to get it to it's final shape. Perhaps you can find a recorder maker in the UK who'd be willing to try. I have a photo I can send you if you'll email me with your email address. I'm brewerpaul@aol.com

*we're talking about plastic as thick as photo film (remember that stuff?). Exactly how he got it glued up in there is anyone's guess.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Yes my plan was to try a thin plastic laminate first.
Interestingly it is in C and in modern pitch.
C is the bell note.
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

I treated myself to a pre 82 generation red top (it was listed on eBay as a Generalion) D and a feadog mark I D
Mladen

Post by Mladen »

Ummm, do flutes count? :D
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Spielorjh
Tell us something.: I play whistle and want to talk to others who do also. I need to pad this out to 100 characters. 100 characters is longer than it seems to be when one is typing. Perhaps I'll overshoot.

Post by Spielorjh »

I didn't get a whistle for Christmas, but Mr. Becker got an order for a low D...
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

Mladen wrote:Ummm, do flutes count? :D
Sure, why not!
Tor

Post by Tor »

Spielorjh wrote:I didn't get a whistle for Christmas, but Mr. Becker got an order for a low D...
He got more than one.. :)
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I've had a Carbony on my wishlist for years. My wife finally broke down and got it for me this xmas. Fun little whistle to play. Much easier blowing than I was anticipating.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Wanderer wrote:I've had a Carbony on my wishlist for years. My wife finally broke down and got it for me this xmas. Fun little whistle to play. Much easier blowing than I was anticipating.
Are you going to do a current review of the Carbony whistle?
Spielorjh
Tell us something.: I play whistle and want to talk to others who do also. I need to pad this out to 100 characters. 100 characters is longer than it seems to be when one is typing. Perhaps I'll overshoot.

Post by Spielorjh »

pancelticpiper wrote:You could perhaps get somebody to make a new head for it? It looks like a great instrument.

Or try a Sweetheart head on it, just to see. Ralph Sweet made large numbers of wooden high D whistles not unlike that.

(The third one down)

I didn't get a whistle for Christmas, but I picked up a used Alba Bass A shortly before Christmas.
Third one down, you say - that's my favorite whistle and the one I take to sessions. Do you know offhand when that model was made?