Free Whistles!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kardshark87
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kardshark87 »

avanutria,
Where might that translator be? Sometimes my friends start talking in different languages...I'd like to be able to translate it....

Brent
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

A long list of free online translators can be found at:

http://www.word2word.com/free.html

Steve Power :smile:
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Now, I must say that, as much as I like trying to translate (and failing) it is something of a breach of good manners to carry on this conversation in a language not common to us all.

Dale
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Here is a humerous semi-translation from a very non-French speaker and a free translation program:
On 2001-11-24 09:37, StevieJ wrote:

Woa, là, Az, pogne pas les nerfs, kâlisse! Tsé ben que ça va jamais changer icitte, pas paentoutte - c'est les minoux perdus pis les wissles gratuits et pis de toute façon moé, chais que tu grimpes dans les rideaux juste à cause que ta blonde galwaygienne te manque, alors relax un peu man, estie, sinon c'est moi que va te blaster tabarouette!

Heille, apardetsâ, tu vas-tu au Wurley's aprèsmidi pis au McKibbin's à soir? Je vais essayer d'y aller pis sinon passe chez moi demain vers midi on a un brunch avec des amis et un peu de musique, yé!

S
*Very* loosely translated:

Woa, there, Az, pogne not gristle, kâlisse! Tsé ben whom that is never going to change icitte, not paentoutte - it is minoux lost worse the free and worse wissles anyway moé, wine storehouses which you climb on curtains just in cause which your galwaygienne blonde(lager) misses you, then relaxed little man, estie, otherwise it is me that goes you to blaster tabarouette! Heille, apardetsâ, you do you go in Of Wurley worse aprèsmidi in OF MCKIBBIN to the evening? I am going to try to go there worse otherwise pass to me tomorrow at around midday we have a brunch with friends and a little of music, yé!

On 2001-11-24 11:04, Azalin wrote:
Ben a vrai dire Stevie, c'est que chu'tais ben chaud, apres avouare bu une mechante grosse bouteille de vin rouge, pis la j'en pouva plus, falla que ca sorte!!! :wink: Merci pour l'invitation, j'm'en va etre d'la partie!
*Very* loosely translated:

Ben really has to say Stevie, it is that fallen a mechante big red, worse wine bottle the I keep silent about warm ben, about apres avouare drunk pouva more, falla than ca go out!!!:wink: thank you for the invitation, me goes away to me etre of the party!

....My apologies for the russian characters, it's my alternate character set here and when I pasted the text some of the letters got mixed up...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: avanutria on 2001-11-24 19:08 ]</font>
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Well, I must say, this translation thing made me laugh for quite a long time! We were actually writing in "bad" french, french language used in some regions of the Quebec province. It's a french mostly related to "farmers" and "common folks", at least this is what the French think! I don't think any tool in the world could translate the messages correctly. I'm still quite impressed, the reference to a "brunch" tommorow afternoon is quite accurate!

Related to the previous posts, if you guys compare a whistle player's health problems with a lost cat, can't help it.... It's just something amusing to see that the only recent "hot topic" is about a lost cat, and not with something that has anything to do with whistles... and the reason why I sent this post is because I was so freaking drunk, I couldnt help myself. I still think what I wrote, but maybe I wouldnt have written it! It's so great to be drunk sometimes! :wink:
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Very edifying, Avanutria, I'm sure it makes a whole lot of sense to you. Automated translation is pretty funny at the best of times, but obviously you didn't find an engine that could handle Montreal street-talk.

And Dale, you are right of course, good manners requires that we speak the common language of the board. Although I have to say I find that some people don't seem to understand things I say when I'm writing English, so I don't know that there's much difference. And breaches of good manners are hardly foreign (ha! that's a pun) to this board.

So here's a summary of my conversation with Azalin.

I told him not to get his knickers in a twist and to expect lost moggies and free whistles around here. Then I invited him to my place tomorrow.

He replied that he had been under the influence.

We may continue our conversation but we promise to provide subtitles, OK?
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

Well, boys and girls, that about clears things up then, doesn't it?

Jef
PS While we Canadians see ourselves as relatively peaceful citizens, this largely pertains to international relations. With regards to domestic disputes regarding both official languages (French and English)... pretty entertaining, at times.

Now, where were we?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jeferson on 2001-11-24 21:51 ]</font>
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

Actually, Steve, that was a 'devilishly large bottle of red wine'!!!!
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

On 2001-11-24 21:47, Azalin wrote:
...if you guys compare a whistle player's health problems with a lost cat, can't help it.... It's just something amusing to see that the only recent "hot topic" is about a lost cat, and not with something that has anything to do with whistles...
This community is more than whistles, Azalin. I am not the only one who looks to this community for support sometimes. People have various things (people, interests, animals, etc.) in their lives that make their lives complete. I left my home six years ago and came to a place where I knew very few people. In the last few years, I put much of my love into my cats. I don't expect you to understand, but it would become you not to criticize me for feeling it and others for caring and respoding nicely.
...and the reason why I sent this post is because I was so freaking drunk, I couldnt help myself.
Congratulations. How impressive.

Jessie
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

On 2001-11-24 21:56, JessieK wrote:
Congratulations. How impressive.
I know I know, I should be ashamed. As long as no one tells my mom, I dunno how she'd react to the fact that I'm getting drunk sometimes! You won't tell her, right? Pretty please?
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I feel like nuking this thread just for the hell of it. I mean, I can't really justify it. I wouldn't be able to defend my actions. I just feel like it.

Dale
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

http://www.mead.k12.wa.us/EVER/Tolerance.htm

quote: "In healthy families, Tolerance is how we learn to live with our differences."
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Ah, touche, Wandering Whistler. I was just in a bad mood.

It's a good thing I'm not President of the United States.

Dale

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DaleWisely on 2001-11-24 23:33 ]</font>
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

On 2001-11-24 23:33, DaleWisely wrote:
Ah, touche, Wandering Whistler. I was just in a bad mood.

It's a good thing I'm not President of the United States.

Dale
:smile: My quote wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, Dale...I just felt it a lesson that we all sometimes need reminding of, myself included.
RosieJ

Post by RosieJ »

I've noticed that a number of folks are now mentioning OT before their message title(yes, and it took me a little while to figure out what it meant, I'm slow!) but that's a nice diplomatic way to say a message is Off Topic, so if you don't want to read something off topic, then just don't read it! Kinda obvious to those who have some sensitivity..........