O'Carolan Tunes on flute CD?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Uni Flute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

O'Carolan Tunes on flute CD?

Post by Uni Flute »

Hello everyone, I would like to know if there is a CD available with Turlough O'Carolan's repertoire played on the flute?
Is there a solo artist(s) who has recorded such an album?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: O'Carolan Tunes on flute CD?

Post by kkrell »

I think there are just a few tunes, here & there, scattered on various CDs. I can't remember which are on flute.

If you want to research it, try:

https://thesession.org/tunes/search?typ ... &q=Planxty

Pick a tune, and thesession.org will indicate how many recordings the tune appears on. You might recognize some of the discs as either being a flute player, or a band containing a flute player.

As to the tunes themselves, definitely NOT on flute:
The Complete Works Of Turlough O’Carolan (1670-1738) [discs 1-8]
https://thesession.org/recordings/artists/1140

I just checked my own music library, which is predominantly flute, and none popped up on a search for Planxty (other than the band). I'm sure there are other tune names, though - I was just trying for a shotgun approach.
Last edited by kkrell on Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddler

Post by paddler »

I don't know of a single CD (or set) containing O'Carolan's complete works on flute, but there are various lovely renditions of his tunes spread among many flute CDs. I bet that we could come up with a pretty good list between us if we all contributed a tune.

Here's one I like by Chris Norman:

The Fairy Queen
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

I'm not aware of any such CD or recording. I looked up "Si Beg Si Mhor" in "thesession.org's" tune list. It came up with it being on 73 recordings, many of them I haven't heard of before, but none were obviously recordings by a flute player I've heard of.. Derek Bell and "The Chieftains" might be your best bet, but I don't think anyone has made a CD of O'Carolan's music on flute - an opportunity for someone there, perhaps ?
Seamus Tansey recorded "Si Beg Si Mhor" on a fairly obscure "Outlet" label recording, and it's probably not one he's particularly proud of because of the excessively overpowering accompaniment.
Matt Molloy recorded "The Parting Of Friends" which I think was attributed to O'Carolan.
I might be able to think of a few more - watch this space.

The good thing about "iTunes" is that if you do find solo flute tracks on any CD, you can buy the individual track without buying the whole CD. Might be worth looking there.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Maybe the OP can list a few titles of O'Carolan's work he'd particularly like to find, and it would make the search easier amongst us. Some of them can be tough without knowing the type of tune, as the titles may apply also to other tunes by other composers. For instance "The Fairy Queen" has tunes not attributed to O'Carolan. Of course, there are alternate names used, as well, some for different tunes. There are also some nice renditions on whistle or low whistle. Anyway, here's what I was able to root out. Certainly, there may be a few misidentifications - I was basing my search on a correspondence between thesession.org's tune database, the 8 disc Complete Works of O'Carolan, and tunes in my own library.

O'Carolan's Concerto:
Seamus Tansey on "To Hell With the Begrudgers", not solo, but with Jim McKillop.
Matt Molloy on a section of The Chieftains on "In Ireland"

O'Carolan's Draught:
Brian Bigley has a section of flute on his EP "Singular Tracks".

Carolan’s Quarrel With The Landlady:
Matt Molloy on a section of The Chieftains on "Over the Sea to Skye"

Dougal Adams and Ormonde Waters {duet} - The Good Ear - 07 - Carolan's Jig - Planxty Mary O'Neill

Jim Gornall - The Picturesque Piccolo - 07 - Carolan's Receipt For Drinking

Jim Gornall - The Picturesque Piccolo - 05 - Blind Mary

Sean Moloney - Music on the Wind - 10 - Shearer's Dream-O'Carolan's Dream-Mrs. Kenny's

Skip McKinley - Fairy Tales - 06 - Maids of Michelstown-Mrs. Judge (Carolan)

Alan Doherty - Brilliant Irish Flute (CD1) - 08 - Sí Bheag Sí Mhor-Planxty Irwin

John Wynne - With Every Breath - 03 - George Brabazon - Jim Coleman's

John Wynne - With Every Breath - 12 - The Ballinafad Fancy - Lady Anne Montgomery - The Millhouse

Laurence Nugent - The Windy Gap - 09 - The Windy Gap - Lady Anne Montgomery

Flute & Fiddle, not sure which instruments appear:
Dan Healy And Ciaran O’Raghallaigh - The Wyndy Turn - 07 - Lady Dillon

Flute & Fiddle duet:
Peg McGrath - Cherish the Ladies - 12 - Hewlett - Sonny's Mazurka
Joanie Madden - Song of the Irish Whistle - 05 - Loftus Jones

Michael Flatley - On a Different Note (CD2) - 02 - The Spanish Cloak - Planxty Irwin - The South Wind {Planxty Fanny Power?}

Harry Bradley - The Night Rambler’s Companion - 09 - The Wounded Hussar {Captain O’Kane}

Emer Mayock - Merry Bits of Timber - 08 - Katherine O'More

Michel Balatti - The Northern Breeze - 08 - Eleanor Plunkett

Billy Clifford - Echoes of Sliabh Luachra - 12 - Mrs. Edwards-David Power

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
kenny

Post by kenny »

Good list there, Kevin - I wouldn't have found many of those. You've included "Lady Anne Montgomery" twice - that's the first time I've heard of it being associated with O'Carolan. What's the source for that, please ? O'Carolan was not known for his reels :)
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

kenny wrote:Good list there, Kevin - I wouldn't have found many of those. You've included "Lady Anne Montgomery" twice - that's the first time I've heard of it being associated with O'Carolan. What's the source for that, please ? O'Carolan was not known for his reels :)
Not familiar with the tunes, so easy to go astray, as I mentioned. I think I may have gone down the wrong rabbit hole with that one. I think I got there via Carolan's Favorite: https://thesession.org/tunes/13704 (Also known as Carolan’s Favorite, Planxty Mary O’ Neill, Planxty Mary O’Neill.). Then, in looking up Mary O'Neill found the reel: https://thesession.org/tunes/954 (also known as Lady Montgomery's), and made the leap to search for Lady Montgomery.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Joemy Wilson has made a few records/discs of O'Carolan tunes. She plays hammered dulcimer, but there is a flute on many if not most of the tunes. However this flute is played in an early/baroque style, not Irish.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Bran Ruz

Post by Bran Ruz »

There's also Ciaran Somers with Dave Sheridan (fiddle) and Nicolas Quemener (guitar) playing Grace Nugent on Faoi bhlath.
Uni Flute

Post by Uni Flute »

Hello and many thanks for all of your contributions to this question. :) I shall search some tune titles on the session and see what I can find there. Some tunes I'd like to find recordings of include; Mrs Judge(tunes 1 and 2), Planxty Hewlett , Planxty George Brabazon, Planxty Fanny Power, Planxty Irwin, Carolan's Welcome, Si Bheagh Si Mor, and Morgan Magan.
Joemy Wilson sounds interesting, as I am quite partial to baroque flute playing.

kkrell, if there's enough interest, would it be an idea to make a Wooden Flute Obsession Carolan Special?
kenny

Post by kenny »

kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Uni Flute wrote:Hello and many thanks for all of your contributions to this question. :) I shall search some tune titles on the session and see what I can find there. Some tunes I'd like to find recordings of include; Mrs Judge(tunes 1 and 2), Planxty Hewlett , Planxty George Brabazon, Planxty Fanny Power, Planxty Irwin, Carolan's Welcome, Si Bheagh Si Mor, and Morgan Magan.
Joemy Wilson sounds interesting, as I am quite partial to baroque flute playing.

kkrell, if there's enough interest, would it be an idea to make a Wooden Flute Obsession Carolan Special?
If you look at my list above, I think you'll see that most of your requests are already covered there.

While there is interest in many of the O'Carolan tunes, it seems to be across the spectrum of instrumentation & ensemble play. You'll find, for instance, that The Chieftains or its members have quite a lot of the O'Carolan tunes in their discography. I don't see why flute should be singled out for enjoyable listening.
paddler

Post by paddler »

Here is a version of O'Carolan's Cup with some nice flute playing by Michel Balatti (a participant on C&F):

O'Carolan's Cup
iain beag
Tell us something.: I play various instruments, Highland pipes, Border pipes, uilleann pipes, smallpipes, flute (badly) and trying to learn mandolin.

Post by iain beag »

chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

paddler wrote:
Here's one I like by Chris Norman:

The Fairy Queen
Which is followed on the disc by Hugh O'Donnell.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.