totally OT: Time to elect a new world leader!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CDon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by CDon »

The Weekenders wrote:I think Clinton still wants to king of the World
Are you sure you didn't mean Bill Gates?

Edited to add:

No! Wait! I'm getting things mixed up... I believe Mr. Gates' actual ambition is to get *all* of the money in the world. But then, maybe one comes with the other.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

The last thing that folks with the money and power of Bill Gates want is to get mired down in politics directly.

When you are the politician, there are still rules.

When you are simply so rich that you have essentially all of the powers of an independant nation-state, there aren't many rules left, and most of those can be avoided by proper lubrication of the system.

After all, we've got the best government money can buy.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
chelbelle

Post by chelbelle »

peeplj wrote:[cynic mode on]

Candidate C sounds like a good and decent person, and as such, wouldn't survive in politics. He would quickly become a puppit of extremists on either the extreme Right, the far Left, or both, and would be remembered by history as a singulaly innefective, brutal, and unjust leader.

[cynic mode off]
Yeah, but *I* am still going to vote for the good and decent person every time. Maybe one day it'll make a difference.
"S' wonderful! S' marvelous!
That you should care for me!
S' awful nice! S' paradise!
S' what I love to see!"

-Diana Krall
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

thurlowe wrote:I voted for candidate A. It was the martinis.
Given this diet, one already could guess his nationality (which I won't reveal) and even if he is from the East or West of the Missis... :oops:
jim_mc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

chelbelle wrote: Yeah, but *I* am still going to vote for the good and decent person every time. Maybe one day it'll make a difference.
Good and decent leaders would be wonderful, but at this point it's more important to me that I be a good and decent person and that our world leaders simply be effective. I can look to people other than politicians, actors or professional athletes to be role models, and I encourage my children to do likewise.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Rockymtnpiper

Post by Rockymtnpiper »

Except for the vegetarian thing... Candidate C sounds like a rather decent guy who ran for President on the GOP ticket last time. The one that 'conservatives' whine so much about because he pushed for campaign finance reform, and because he is a pit bull when it comes to Corperate welfare/pork (or whatever label people give to useless approriations to validate wasting taxpayers money)

What I want is someone who does not worship at the alter of vanity and pretense. A person who does not look right wearing a suit and tie, sort of out of place like. A person who can speak the english language, rather than 'political' language. A person who comes off as being genuine human being rather than a politician creature thing, or from the religous persuasion that worships at the alter of vanity and pretense. A person who can write their own speech, and understand/use $5 words in said speech, and not have to read the speech off of a teleprompter.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I've heard this poll before and I'm not saying a word. We'll see how it turns out.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I've heard this poll before and I'm not saying a word. We'll see how it turns out.
It all has to be taken very lightly. It doesn't really count for anything besides fun because you're given bits and pieces of information and don't know everything you'd like to know. If I was only given the information provided, I wouldn't vote for anybody.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Cranberry wrote:
It all has to be taken very lightly. It doesn't really count for anything besides fun because you're given bits and pieces of information and don't know everything you'd like to know. If I was only given the information provided, I wouldn't vote for anybody.
You'd be surprised what will swing people's votes though, Cranberry (in real life, I mean). I, personally, know people who wouldn't vote for someone who smoked or drank if he were the most brilliant, honest, canny and dedicated candidate on the face of the planet. By the same token, I know people who WOULD vote for candidate C, solely based on the fact (or fiction) that he was a vegetarian...without bothering to learn anything else about him (based on the presumption that vegetarians are inevitably compassionate...and, if candidate C is who I think he is, that's the last word anyone would use to describe him). I mean, I know the poll itself is just for fun, but it's really amazing what people WILL vote for in real life, based on just a few relatively minor points.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Jack

Post by Jack »

You'd be surprised what will swing people's votes though, Cranberry (in real life, I mean). I, personally, know people who wouldn't vote for someone who smoked or drank if he were the most brilliant, honest, canny and dedicated candidate on the face of the planet. By the same token, I know people who WOULD vote for candidate C, solely based on the fact (or fiction) that he was a vegetarian...without bothering to learn anything else about him (based on the presumption that vegetarians are inevitably compassionate...and, if candidate C is who I think he is, that's the last word anyone would use to describe him). I mean, I know the poll itself is just for fun, but it's really amazing what people WILL vote for in real life, based on just a few relatively minor points.
I agree. I (sadly) know people who didn't vote for Charolette Pritt for Governer when she ran only because she was a woman, and that was their reason, too. They'd tell you, 'I would never vote for a woman for Governor'. I was too young to vote.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Unfortunately, your observations are generally correct, Redwolf. <sigh>
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

*I deleted this message, so as to humor TelegramSam*
Last edited by Walden on Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

I cast no vote, because I would need to hear their stance on 'the issues'

I guess the results of this will be shocking, it reminds me of an e mail that gives all these statistics about a group of 500+ people that make them sound horrible, then it turns out to be the US Congress.
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

TelegramSam wrote:(attn smartypantses: if you can guess who they are, keep a lid on it, don't ruin the surprise for everyone else!!)
X X X X X X X wrote: C E N S O R E D
:cry:
Last edited by Zubivka on Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Cranberry wrote:One time on another message board, I mentioned something about space and the gradiosity of everything, and somebody tried to argue me that outer space is a lie, and that the Earth is actually flat. I can remember that it was very compelling to read, but I can't remember exactly what they said. So I feel stupid.
Having a poor memory is actually a sign of near genius intelligence...

but I forget why.