OT: Sinéad and Cher are both leaving me.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT: Sinéad and Cher are both leaving me.

Post by Jack »

It makes me sad. Sinéad O'Connor's message off her site:

Hello Lovelies,

This is a message from sinead. This being a very special anniversary for me, I have chosen it to announce that as of July 2003 I shall be retiring from the music business. In order to pursue a different career.
The last recordings I will make will be (believe it or not) a track for Dolly Parton's upcoming tribute album and a track for sharon Shannon's forthcoming album. These will be recorded in May.
In July I will be releasing a DVD of a live show and documentary featuring tracks from way back along with tracks fom Sean Nos Nua. The DVD will be entitled "Goodnight, thankyou. You've been a lovely audience."
And so ye have.
I wish here to thank everyone who has been a fan and or supporter of mine over the last twenty two years in the music business (first record at 14, deal at 17. Half o first album wrote when 15). As well as all the people whom I have had the honour of working with. Not least the great Dolly Parton herself!
Thanks to all of ye for a great time and a great education.
I would request that as of July, since I seek no longer to be a "famous" person, and instead I wish to live a "normal" life, could people please afford me my privacy. By which I mean I would like not to have exploition of my self or my name or anyone connected with me by newspapers.
I also mean that (with love) I want to be like any other person in the street and not have people say there is Sinead O'Connor. As I am a very shy person, believe it or not. So I ask with love, that I be left in peace and privacy by people who love my records too. And I hope it doesnt sound rude. It aint meant rude. I am glad that ye are helped by my songs. So help me too, by giving me what is best for me, a private life.
My advise to anyone who ever admires a so called "celebrity" if u see them in the street, dont even look at them. If u love them, then the lovingest thing u can do to show them so is leave them alone and don't stare at them! Or bang on restauraunt windows when they in there. Or make them get their picture taken, or write their names on bits of paper. That's pieces of them.
And one day they wake up with nothing left of themselves to give.
Love, peace, and don't 4get to pray y'all.
Sinead
P.S This web site will exsist until September. Then bye bye.

And this is Cher's last tour, too (WHICH I HAVE TICKETS FOR ON THE 28th of MAY!), so like...basically half of all my cds are going to be by people no longer recording. Sinéad retired before though and came back. So I have hope.

Thanks for listening to my rambling.
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

Not to worry, Cranberry. Half of my CD's are by people that are dead (and I'm not even talking about classical composers). John Denver, Rich Mullens, etc... Guess I'm not what you would call a hip music afficienato. Then again, I doubt that many would use the term, "hip music afficienato".

Erik
Jack

Post by Jack »

Not to worry, Cranberry. Half of my CD's are by people that are dead (and I'm not even talking about classical composers). John Denver, Rich Mullens, etc... Guess I'm not what you would call a hip music afficienato. Then again, I doubt that many would use the term, "hip music afficienato".

When I was a little kid I used to watch Lucy and my mom told me that she was dead and I didn't watch her any more because something just bothered me about watching a dead person.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Hi Cran.,
When I saw the title of the thread,I thought that perhaps you had renounced Sinead (or 'Skinhead' as we used to call her when she had her head shaved) and Cher.
Cher's last tour eh? What's the problem-Plastic surgery fatigue? :lol:
O.K. Cran.,just a bit of leg pulling :wink:
If it's any consolation,a lot of the people that I listen too are dead (Micko Russell,Willie Clancy,Seamus Ennis,Charles Mingus,Monk,Coltrane,Robert Johnson etc.),but live on in sound via records and C.D.'s.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Yes, it's sad when the artists you love are gone, due to death or to retirement. But take heart - I have heard that Cher isn't going to quit touring/recording completely, she's just not going to do the big gigantic bells and whistles tours anymore. And retirement of course isn't always permanent. How many times has Garth Brooks retired? (Not to mention Michael Jordan).

What makes me sad when listening to someone who has died, especially Rich Mullins, one of my favorites, is just knowing that there will be nothing new - but I can still greatly enjoy what was given to us.

So don't bury your CD's - enjoy them! And have fun at the concert!

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

Hi Cran,

Although I always thought she had a lovely voice, I never listened much to Sinead O'Connor. I did think her rendition of Prince's song "Nothing Compares To You" was and is one of the best vocal performances (regardless of style boundaries) I have ever heard.
Then, two weeks ago, while in a record store, I bought "Sean-Nos Nua", which I guess would be her last album. I bought it mostly because I had read it was more in a traditional vein and I figured there must be whistles on it. Well, it turns out it hasn't left my CD player much since I got it. I really like it a lot (even though there isn't really a lot of whistling on it!...).

I understand it is frustrating for us when one of our "faves" decides to hang it up. But she must have reasons, and we must respect those as well. One of my all-time favorite recording artists, Warren Zevon, is in the termainal stages of lung cancer. He won't be recording any more either, unfortunately, not by choice. In Sinead's case, there is still the chance she may reconsider some time down the road.

As to Cher....hmmmmmm!... I always thought she was a great actress, and I'll leave it at that.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

An old Sid Ceasar routine in which
he's a movie director who says that Beethoven
will write the score for his next film.
'But Beethoven's dead!' his assoicates protest.

He looks stricken. 'Ludwig.... gone?'

'Well, I'll have to use Mozart...'

'But Mozart's dead!'

'Wolfgang.... gone?'
glauber

Sinneead O'Connor

Post by glauber »

She did a beautiful Foggy Dew in the Chieftain's "Long Black Veil" album. What an amazing voice and sensibility, if sometimes weird attitudes. I hope she gets the privacy she wants. I guess i have to buy the Sean Nos album now. Bummer, i thought i'd spend a whole week without getting a new album.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I've always thought it sad, the way people mob celebrities. Yes, I know they're "public figures" and have to expect a certain amount of recognition (I seriously doubt Sinead will ever escape the occasional person at the next table nudging his partner and saying "Look...isn't that Sinead???"), but the lengths to which otherwise sane adults will go to touch or talk to a celebrity are ridiculous, and must be terribly exhausting (and even frightening) to the celeb.

Right after I graduated from college, I worked as a receptionist in a law firm in Monterey. One day there was a huge stir among the secretarial staff because word had gotten out that Clint Eastwood, whose business was one of the firms major clients, would be coming by to speak with one of the attorneys. I was beseiged by women in their 30s and 40s who wanted me to pester him for his autograph when he checked in! I flatly refused...heck, the guy should be able to pay a visit to his lawyer without being hit on for autographs after all! The funny thing is, when he did arrive, with his business advisor, I didn't recognize him at first (I'd been swamped with calls, and only noticed two men come into the lobby). One of the men asked to see Mr. XXXX (the senior partner of the firm) and I asked "May I tell Mr. XXXX who's calling?" He replied "Mr. YYYY and Mr. Eastwood." I repeated the names, and suddenly realized who I was talking to. I hesitated over the second name and looked up to meet a pair of twinkling, clearly amused eyes in a suddenly very familiar face! (I also suddenly realized that the entire secretarial staff was leaning over the balcony of the upstairs office suites, frankly staring!). I put on my best professional manner, and ended up having a very pleasant conversation with the star while he waited for Mr. XXXX to come down to greet him...and all those groupies got was a glimpse!

Redwolf

P.S. In case inquiring minds want to know, he's MUCH better looking in person than he is in the movies, and he has a very nice smile! ;)
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
glauber

Post by glauber »

Redwolf wrote:In case inquiring minds want to know, he's MUCH better looking in person than he is in the movies, and he has a very nice smile!
Yah, but can he shoot?

So... were you feeling lucky... punk? :D :) :lol:
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Jack

Post by Jack »

Then, two weeks ago, while in a record store, I bought "Sean-Nos Nua", which I guess would be her last album. I bought it mostly because I had read it was more in a traditional vein and I figured there must be whistles on it. Well, it turns out it hasn't left my CD player much since I got it. I really like it a lot (even though there isn't really a lot of whistling on it!...).
I LOVE it. Next to The Lion And the Cobra (in my humble opinion the best album ever released by anybody, period) it's my favorite cd. Track number 5 (which I will not try to spell) is my favorite. Or Lord Baker with Christy Moore. I love that, too!

With Cher, I expect some calming down, because she's ancient. It just makes me sad that Sinéad isn't going to record anything again, and she's only in her 30s. She is just so ungoldy talented that it's almost a crime for her not to. I heard her say in an interview that she had always wanted to do a country album, and I was really really really hoping she would. :(
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

pthouron wrote: One of my all-time favorite recording artists, Warren Zevon, is in the termainal stages of lung cancer. He won't be recording any more either, unfortunately, not by choice.

Ah, another Zevon fan. Your hair, my friend, is PERFECT.
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

April 17th my sister and I took my mom to see Cher for her birthday. Mom's not Cher's. It was a fantastic show. Kinda like having Vegas roll into town. Never would have thought such a large production would end up in Bismarck Norda Koda. Well worth the money. This was the only non country show my Mom had ever been to and she had a blast. Even stood up in parts of the show and had her back field in motion!
Mary

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a
listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of
which have the potential to turn a life around. -Leo Buscaglia, author
(1924-1998)
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

she'll get bored and come back. They always do. Just look at the rolling stones and aerosmith! They're practically dead, but they're still around...
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Jimi Hendirx, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison.........those were the ones that taught me to enjoy the greats while they are around. But then , that's true for all of us, isn't it! Enjoy life today!
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West