The whole kit and caboodle, how's it done

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

The whole kit and caboodle, how's it done

Post by rorybbellows »

I've watched this video posted by Murk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAtEnKBvmbM&sns=em
over and over again ,and I am amazed each time. Anyone willing to offer some insight into what is actually going on in the pipers mind to be able to multitask to this level. Is it that he has practiced the chanter part and then the reg part so much that it happens automatically or is his mind switching back and forth very quickly or is it that he has two brains?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
benwalker
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: The whole kit and caboodle, how's it done

Post by benwalker »

The latter.
I think it's a matter of building up a few bars at a time until a degree of independence is possible.
Oh and Sh*t loads of practice !
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

If you watch closely you will notice that Padraic is simultaneously reciting the soliliquy from Hamlet in Czech translation by blinking his eyes in Morse code.
Brus

Post by Brus »

Maybe someone who's played both instruments can tell me:

Is this more difficult than co-ordinating both hands when playing piano?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

It's an exceptional piece of piping.

His right hand barely moves. Is he using his right thumb to play the keys?
PJ
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Yes, he is using his right thumb to play the keys as well as the heal of his hand.

I have played several instruments that need seperate co-ordination of the two hands including the piano, and it is not easy to say if this is more difficult than that needed to play the piano... but similar in a different way. Perhaps more akin to playing a church Organ where both hands and both feet get used to play notes.

I always recall a radio interview with the guitarist Segovia on his 80th birthday.... well, a question asked of him about how he spent his day where he gave the information that he practiced his music in half hour bouts during the day and it equated to five hours of practice in all. For a Professional musican this is the working day.

The amateur musician practices a piece untill the mistakes are eliminated... the professional musican practices untill it is impossible for mistakes to happen during performances.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I saw Paddy Keenan use the thumb, Joe McKenna use the bottom of the chanter, Denis Brooks take the right hand off the chanter and play all the reg keys like a keyboard...
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mogens Hundevad

Post by Mogens Hundevad »

pancelticpiper wrote:I saw Paddy Keenan use the thumb, Joe McKenna use the bottom of the chanter, Denis Brooks take the right hand off the chanter and play all the reg keys like a keyboard...
I have found this take : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeBc2BsDUqA Great playing
Murk

Post by Murk »

Makes me wonder if playing at this level is all mental. Not really in the "I think I can, I think I can" sense, but rather more of a paradigm shift. As a Mathematics Teacher, it's consistently apparent to me just how differently learners/amateurs view the discipline from the professionals or those with more experience. My students are decidedly likely to see the math that we do as a set of individual rules that should be followed - and try as I might to reveal for them the larger connections between these "rules" (how I hate that word) - only some of them will begin to see the topic that way and only after considerable time and effort. As the "Mathematics Professional" (humor me), I might see a unit of study as one greater concept or idea, with individual sections merely being variations on that theme. Most of my students - for all my efforts - simply interact with the variations and try their best to piece them together.

There's nothing wrong with this. Everybody goes through learning in this way. Some might have an easier time piecing things together at the seams but we all have to do it sooner or later or never.

Mind that I'm saying this as a green learner - but maybe Padraig thinks about how the regs are played at a level one step higher. Maybe he does multiple things at once not by making most things automatic and thinking about one aspect, but rather by making everything automatic. Padraig's muscles are just playing "The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba" - a piece of music. The notes and the rhythm and the chords and the harmonies maybe are just one giant motion to him.

I guess the question then would be how did he get to this place? Maybe I'm just shouting at the moon and that was the question to begin with.
"When I was young I told myself I wanted to be somebody.
Now I realize I should have been more specific."
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Murk, you make some interesting observations. From a mental view point I'd take a piece like this as One Automatic Thought ... so I would try to put it all together from the start and let muscle memory take over. Although with the Pipes it is very simple to seperate the two activities of playing the Chanter and playing the Regulators, I like to try to lock the whole thing together as early in the learning process as I can.

Another point that I feel is important is the size and shape of the player. A certain amount of tallness makes handling a Pipes in this manner more comfortable. Hand size is also a factor as is girth. Not so easy to manipulate everything if you have small hands, short legs and arms, a fat belly and the chair is too high.

Starting to learn the pipes at 7 years old helps enormously too...... I'd imagine. :-?

So, what I'm saying is ,we should not beat ourselves up if we cannot play like this ... enjoying the ride is important too.

PS; oh, and a decent set of Pipes is also usefull ; :)
Last edited by geoff wooff on Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
PCL

Post by PCL »

What Geoff says is true enough. Watch Ronan Browne on The Piper's Choice Vol. 1. All the elements come together there. He's big, he has a great set of pipes, and he's been at it since he was a lad. And he is relaxed. He doesn't clutter his tunes with fancy twiddley bits. He's letting the tune do the work.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I guess I've come closer to an all-at-once (or at least, more-at-once) approach to playing regs with the chanter. This does lead to a considerable amount of non-music being played (initially). But it seems to integrate the two teams more quickly than adding the regs later (at least for me). You have to be prepared to make a lot of noise, though: a practice best pursued when cohabitants are a way :thumbsup:
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
learnthegrip

Post by learnthegrip »

Here's a video that gives a good view of Padraig McGovern's right thumb when he's playing. The real action is when he finishes the air (anyone know the name of it?) and goes on to the march (The Fairy Troupe).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeBc2BsDUqA
Was that a groan or did I hear the Dingle bagpipes Wasting war and?
Finnegans Wake
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I don't have regs yet, but my guess is it might be rather like getting a cat and dog to be friends; introduce them to each other as youths.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

learnthegrip wrote:Here's a video that gives a good view of Padraig McGovern's right thumb when he's playing. The real action is when he finishes the air (anyone know the name of it?) and goes on to the march (The Fairy Troupe).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeBc2BsDUqA
And... after watching that video... I think I need to start a gofundme for some regs.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."