Which Whistle makes the player look most seedy?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Which Whistle makes the player look most seedy?

Post by Martin Milner »

It's a Dale-established scientific fact that playing the whistle makes you look seedy, and that was the main reason I took up this instrument. I'm sure you're the same.

but...

which brand, material & key is the seediest of all?

I would have to vote for a Generation brass D, preferably scratched tarnished & dented just sufficiently to suggest a careless owner who uses string instead of a belt but requires the whistle for their livelihood and can't afford a new one.

Can anyone suggest a seedier option?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I beat up and rusty clarke with the fipple held in place by duct tape. :lol:
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Jack

Post by Jack »

I didn't know what the word seedy meant until I saw this post. I had to go ask the dictionary.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Hmmm...I think I'd have to vote for a Water Weasel, with plenty of plumbing code left on. Looks a little like you couldn't afford to buy an instrument, so you made one out of the pipes left over from the rich guy down the block's bathroom remodel.

Gotta love 'em, though...they're seriously cool!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
glauber

Post by glauber »

Redwolf wrote:Hmmm...I think I'd have to vote for a Water Weasel, with plenty of plumbing code left on. Looks a little like you couldn't afford to buy an instrument, so you made one out of the pipes left over from the rich guy down the block's bathroom remodel.

Yeah, that's seedy nouveau, where you spend a lot of money to look like you don't have any. Sort of like shopping for clothes in the Gap. (Sorry for the US-centric joke; people living in the civilized world, please substitute Gap for your local store that sells artistically grungified jeans to teenagers.)
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

glauber wrote:Yeah, that's seedy nouveau, where you spend a lot of money to look like you don't have any. Sort of like shopping for clothes in the Gap. (Sorry for the US-centric joke; people living in the civilized world, please substitute Gap for your local store that sells artistically grungified jeans to teenagers.)
Actually, the sad thing is that it's not US-centric... we went by 11 Baby Gaps while walking from the Arc du Triumph and Notredam. And about the same from the Tower of London to Picadilly Circle. It is a world-wide invasion. In fact, it was so cold in Paris one day that we were there, that we had to buy socks in one of the Gaps to put on Madelyn's (our little girl) hands. It was spring so no one was selling gloves. We still have the socks... now our little boy uses them as socks.

Erik
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

But Martin,

SEEDY :(

Ain't Cool

Alba cool 8) Generation Seedy :lol:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

If you want to be truly seedy (a goal shared by one and all), you should steep your water weasel in strong, dark coffee to give it that "used" look... :D

Eric
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I think an Asarkar low whistle would be a good choice for the individual desiring the seedy look. They come pre-dented, and are made of heavy pipe, with a very uneven finish.
ErikT wrote:Actually, the sad thing is that it's not US-centric... we went by 11 Baby Gaps while walking from the Arc du Triumph and Notredam. And about the same from the Tower of London to Picadilly Circle. It is a world-wide invasion.
I first saw the Gap in Manila, a decade or more ago. May be the only one I've seen. Mayhaps I should get out more.
Last edited by Walden on Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I first saw the Gap in Manila, a decade or more ago. May be the only one I've seen. Mayhaps I should get out more.
I've never seen one.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Seedy, as in gone to seed. This happens to vegetables left in the ground after they should have been picked.

I'd go with the brass Generation, but I'd specify a red top. It looks like a toy. (In the hands of a fool, it is a toy.)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
daveboling
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by daveboling »

I may have a contender. A home-made copper, Low-D whistle (plumbing pipe) with a rough-sawed piece of broomstick handle for a fipple, held in place with a nail driven through the pipe/broomstick assembly, with 1/4" (thats a little under a centimeter for you mega-state people :D ) protruding from each side. I have dubbed it "Frankenwhistle", and its the most responsive low whistle (of the three I've tried :roll: ) I've ever had. The copper pipe attained a proper patina by way of a leak in the workshop roof.

LOL,

dave boling
Jack

Post by Jack »

I may have a contender. A home-made copper, Low-D whistle (plumbing pipe) with a rough-sawed piece of broomstick handle for a fipple, held in place with a nail driven through the pipe/broomstick assembly, with 1/4" (thats a little under a centimeter for you mega-state people ) protruding from each side. I have dubbed it "Frankenwhistle", and its the most responsive low whistle (of the three I've tried ) I've ever had. The copper pipe attained a proper patina by way of a leak in the workshop roof.
At least copper...looks semi-instrumental. A water weasel doesn't even look like something you should be putting in your mouth.

And don't forget about my whis..er tube made out of weeds. :)
rosenlof

Post by rosenlof »

I'd think a Clarke looks seedier than a Generation. The rolled metal, the seam on the back, the clunky block of wood. The Gen is positively sleek compared to that!

But if you have the painted on diamonds, that's class!
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

I would have to say a Clarke, painted black, with little dents and dings where you have fenced with friends using it.

One of the players at our seisun (Normally plays bodhran) has a couple like that, he uses them as knockabout whistles out at the faire we both participate in.

Aodhan