Flute to get started with

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Luck Adversa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Flute to get started with

Post by Luck Adversa »

megapop wrote:
Luck Adversa wrote:
tin tin wrote:The Folk Flute, or a Delrin flute like Forbes, Copley, Sweet, or Somers (good instruments all) will be good instruments to learn on, and they'll be something you can play for decades.
What would you suggest among the ones you listed?
You don't say where you're living (other than in a house which can get very hot in summer), but another thing to consider is that those makers are all located in America. So if you're based on the other side of the Atlantic/Pacific, P&P and duties can raise the costs quite a bit.
Luck Adversa wrote:Which is the quieter one?
Haven't played one myself, but the Dixon three part flute is generally considered a fair flute which plays rather quiet. Also the price is certainly reasonable.
You are right, i apologize for that.
I currently live in Milan (Italy) and summer with no air conditioning here is really too hot.
I was asking about the loudness just to have an idea. Since houses here don't have thick walls neighbours can hear you anyway so loud or not it doesn't really make much difference.
All of these flutes cost around 400 euro (shipping included). Which is good for me.
megapop

Post by megapop »

Ah okay, I see. Don't underestimate the import duties though... just saying. :)
return null;
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

40-45C inside your house is fine. The difference is that a car will heat up very quickly once the air conditioning is turned off. This is why it is safe to leave your pet dog at home locked up but deadly for the pet dog to leave it in a car on a hot day. Blackwood comes from the eastern part of Africa where the temps frequently get that high.
Luck Adversa

Post by Luck Adversa »

Casey Burns wrote:40-45C inside your house is fine. The difference is that a car will heat up very quickly once the air conditioning is turned off. This is why it is safe to leave your pet dog at home locked up but deadly for the pet dog to leave it in a car on a hot day. Blackwood comes from the eastern part of Africa where the temps frequently get that high.
I guess it's different for trees and worked wood.
What's the best way to place it while i don't play?
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

After playing, swab out the flute (to remove excess moisture) and store it in its case. Put it on a shelf or in a drawer. They're really not very fragile.
Luck Adversa

Post by Luck Adversa »

My god..i'll end up buying too many flutes...
Anyway thank you all for your answers guys, they really helped me.
I'll think about it a little bit more and then i'll decide.
I didn't think too much about the cilindrical bore part so at this point i'll probably go for a conical bore, still have to decide which one.
Since both delrin and wood (in this case Casey Burns) makers are in the usa shipping for any kind of repair will be a bit expensive.
At the moment i'm more for a delrin flute and after summer a wooden one. (i will probably move in january so it's going to be fine for next year and i will not be so scared)
I feel more relaxed now :D
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Luck Adversa wrote:Since both delrin and wood (in this case Casey Burns) makers are in the usa shipping for any kind of repair will be a bit expensive.
There are good makers of both at reasonable prices in Europe... just depends who/what you want! Francois Baubet and Vincenzo Di Mauro at least in Delrin, plus M&E in whatever polymer they're using, and I'm sure you'll get further suggestions here for both wood and Delrin/polymer.

(I went transatlantic for Dave Copley in both Delrin and wood, but had unusual requirements and a very positive response from Dave on working with me on them. And, yes, it can be awkward/expensive when you have to send things back and forth, but it's been totally worth it for me!)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Francois Baubet's flutes are outstanding. I have a delrin 5 key. Great guy to work with, too.
Luck Adversa

Post by Luck Adversa »

Jayhawk wrote:Francois Baubet's flutes are outstanding. I have a delrin 5 key. Great guy to work with, too.
What's the price of it?

Can someone explain me what's the difference between the 2 option Forbes gives about the cork?
Screw-adjustable cap/cork (instead of one-piece, combined cap/cork)
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Here's Francois' website: http://www.francoisbaubet.com/

You have to email him for a price list, but his prices are reasonable and he'll customize whatever you want. I have wide rings, 5 keys, and he made the dandy end cap from some left over fake ivory he had at no extra cost. He's just great to work with...and he'll do wood or delrin - your choice. If you're going to worry about wood, just go with delrin. If you love wood, just go with wood. I'm a wood worrier, have had several very nice antique American flute (cocus), antique German, and a modern rosewood flute as well...I stressed about all of them. Delrin helps me relax, so it's worth it to me.

Here are a couple of pics of Francois' work:

kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Luck Adversa wrote:
Jayhawk wrote:Francois Baubet's flutes are outstanding. I have a delrin 5 key. Great guy to work with, too.
What's the price of it?
His site says: "Drop me an email for price and details : fluteorder@gmail.com "
Luck Adversa wrote:Can someone explain me what's the difference between the 2 option Forbes gives about the cork?
Typical caps are just removable, and you can use a dowel to push the cork from either side to change its position.
Screw-adjusters have you turn the cap to move the head cork in/out along a threaded rod, as in most modern Boehm flutes.
Luck Adversa

Post by Luck Adversa »

kkrell wrote:
Luck Adversa wrote:
What's the price of it?
His site says: "Drop me an email for price and details : fluteorder@gmail.com "
Luck Adversa wrote:Can someone explain me what's the difference between the 2 option Forbes gives about the cork?
Typical caps are just removable, and you can use a dowel to push the cork from either side to change its position.
Screw-adjusters have you turn the cap to move the head cork in/out along a threaded rod, as in most modern Boehm flutes.
I see, thanks for the answers.
I sent him an e -mail to know price list
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I really wouldn't worry about getting a "quiet" flute. It is very easy to play any flute very quietly. It's rather harder to play one loud consistently and well, so having an instrument which doesn't want to go loud is an unhelpful hindrance to learning. Working at playing quietly is very good for embouchure and breath control and will set you up well for the occasions when you are at liberty to play at full blast. That said, no flute is particularly loud by comparison with most other instruments, save that the upper registers are more piercing (even played gently!), but you won't be going there much as a beginner.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:I really wouldn't worry about getting a "quiet" flute. It is very easy to play any flute very quietly. It's rather harder to play one loud consistently and well, so having an instrument which doesn't want to go loud is an unhelpful hindrance to learning. Working at playing quietly is very good for embouchure and breath control and will set you up well for the occasions when you are at liberty to play at full blast. That said, no flute is particularly loud by comparison with most other instruments, save that the upper registers are more piercing (even played gently!), but you won't be going there much as a beginner.
You're loud enough yourself, and you and others can certainly hold your own in almost any session situation.
UkesNeedLoveToo
Tell us something.: I made a decent pvc flute then decided to get a proper one. Now i am doing what i always do, geeking out. I played boeme flute for ten years way back in my school days - mostly fiddle and uke these days. Oh, and my new flute, on which i only want to play the traditional Irish tunes.

Post by UkesNeedLoveToo »

For the record, the inside of a car gets MUCH hotter than your living quarters probably ever will. Upwards of 130+ Fahrenheit depending on how long it's in the sun and the outside temp.