Tom Doorley and the Danu

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steph7
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi,
I am Stephen, I live and play trad music in Cork city since 2002.
Hi,
Hi,

Tom Doorley and the Danu

Post by Steph7 »

Hi folks,

Does anyone know why Tom lefts the Danu? Is it just a temporary leaving or are there any other personal decisions on it?

Thanks
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Tom Doorley and the Danu

Post by kenny »

If there were "personal decisions", then I don't really see that as anyone here's business. He did get married, and was living in Cape Breton for a while, so that would have made it difficult for him to be touring with a band based in Ireland, I suppose - there's no secret about that.
I was working a few months ago with Cape Breton singer-songwriter Buddy MacDonald, and we were driving around Perthshire when a flute track came on to the CD player. Buddy asked who it was, so I told him Tom Doorley, and remembering that Tom had been in Cape Breton, asked Buddy if he knew him. "Yeah", said Buddy. "He's married to my niece."

My favourite Tom clip :

https://youtu.be/iqWMn6RnWCA
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Tom Dooley a fine flute player. From a 2013 TED talk: "Following many years on the road touring, Tom is now involved in musical education as a secondary school teacher and as a third level lecturer for the Dublin Institute of Technology conservatory of music and drama. In the past few years Tom has been establishing himself as a composer and conductor."

Tom lived 7-8 years in Cape Breton where he met the lady he was to marry. He has a family and lives in Dublin.

Tom's TED talk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J8TNoXELnw
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Steampacket wrote:Tom Dooley a fine flute player.....
So is Tom Doorley. I remember Tom Dooley mostly from his outstanding work with the Kingston Trio back in the 1960s. :poke:

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
maestrosid

Post by maestrosid »

I don't know why Tom Doorley left, but Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh, singer and whistle/flute player with the group, recently posted that she is also leaving the band. She played mostly whistle while Tom was in the group, but picked up more flute duties when he left.
Steph7
Tell us something.: Hi,
Hi,
Hi,

Post by Steph7 »

maestrosid wrote:I don't know why Tom Doorley left, but Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh, singer and whistle/flute player with the group, recently posted that she is also leaving the band. She played mostly whistle while Tom was in the group, but picked up more flute duties when he left.
Tell me more about that!!
Where have you seen that post?
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

FromTheWood wrote:
maestrosid wrote:I don't know why Tom Doorley left, but Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh, singer and whistle/flute player with the group, recently posted that she is also leaving the band. She played mostly whistle while Tom was in the group, but picked up more flute duties when he left.
Tell me more about that!!
Where have you seen that post?
on her Facebook page, posted 20 December 2015:

Big changes ahead. I'm just home from a tour of the States, and this was my last as a member of Danú. It has been an amazing 13 years with the band, I have seen every aspect of touring life from playing in folk clubs in the early days, to filling 3,000 seater concert halls and headlining festivals. I am so proud to have spent 2015 celebrating the band's 20 years and touring the album Buan all over the world.
Now it's time for me to stay a little closer to home and my young family. I wish the lads nothing but the best for the future, and I am very much looking forward to what musical adventures might lie ahead for me in the new year and beyond.
Ní feidir leis an gobadán an dá thráigh a fhreastail, so beidh an gobadán seo ar an dtráigh i gCorca Dhuibhne lem iníonacha óga agus m'fhear céile!
Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas, whatever way you celebrate it, hope ye spend it with your loved ones as I will be. Nollaig Shona. Xxx
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"So is Tom Doorley. I remember Tom Dooley mostly from his outstanding work with the Kingston Trio back in the 1960s. :poke: Best wishes. "Steve

Tom Dooley was never a member of the Kingston Trio. A Tom Dula murdered a lady in North Carolina in 1866, and Thomas Land wrote the song called "Tom Dooley" shortly after Dula was hung. Thanks Steve, too late now to correct the spelling of Doorley's name it seems
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

As a former student of Tom's at Dublin Institute of Technology (I started college there in 2007 and he started teaching there in '08; I took flute lessons with him until I graduated in 2011) I perhaps have a bit more insight into this than others may. Having said that; I don't think he would appreciate me going into too much detail on a public forum. The posts by Kenny and (the first one by) Steampacket make it pretty easy to infer why a person might not want to be in an internationally touring band. There are rumors out there saying other things, which I don't want to add fuel to by repeating them, but I have seen no evidence for them to be true. As for whether this is a temporary or permanent thing it isn't quite as simple as that; Tom still preforms with Danu from time to time, usually when they are playing in Ireland, and has appeared as a guest on the last 2 albums. I would doubt that we'll see him as a full time band member again anytime soon but I think we may continue to see him guesting on performances and recordings but I can't say for certain as I never asked specifically and haven't been in contact with him that recently.

Very interesting to hear Muireann has left the group as well; I wonder who we'll see taking the role/s of singer and flute player.
Viking of Kiev
Tell us something.: The nick is outdated, I'd been living in Kiev for 13 years but now I am located in St.Petersburg, Russia.

Post by Viking of Kiev »

Unseen122 wrote:
Very interesting to hear Muireann has left the group as well; I wonder who we'll see taking the role/s of singer and flute player.
I suppose they should recruit Seamus Begley. He is also a kerryman and seems bold enough. :thumbsup:
Viking of Kiev
Tell us something.: The nick is outdated, I'd been living in Kiev for 13 years but now I am located in St.Petersburg, Russia.

Post by Viking of Kiev »

No, Seamus Begley is with Teada.

Nell Ní Chróinin is going to become the lead vocalist for Danú.

Good news indeed :thumbsup: It's there on the band's site.
Brus

Post by Brus »

Viking of Kiev wrote: Nell Ní Chróinin is going to become the lead vocalist for Danú.
I hadn't heard of her before, but I found some youtube clips.

It looks like she's not an instrumentalist at all?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

No, but you'd be hard pressed to find a lovelier singer.

My brain hurts

Brus

Post by Brus »

Mr.Gumby wrote:No, but you'd be hard pressed to find a lovelier singer.
I just remembered it being a priority the last time they were hunting for a vocalist (according to the features on their DVD "One Night Stand") that the vocalist also be an instrumentalist.

If Muireann has been fluting more with Tom Doorley gone, are they now fluteless?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Mr.Gumby wrote:No, but you'd be hard pressed to find a lovelier singer.
I don't listen to bands normally, but if she's going to sing with Danu, I'll listen to Danu!

She sang with Conal O'Grada et al in the Raw Bar Collective, simply stunning.