The Curse of Wood

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Curse of Wood

Post by Tyghress »

Please let it be known that I tend to treat my whistles like gold. But last night, after a session of phenomenal music, I found that yet another wooden whistle has cracked on me. It was like someone put a stake through my heart.

This is the third instance of a piece of wood nearly (I hope) deciding it didn't want to be a musical instrument. Of course its the third time that a whistlesmith has stepped up to the plate and repaired, also.

Be that as it may, I'm off for Ireland tomorrow, and will bring a non-cracked whistle of some sort...of course that won't preclude the possibility that I stop in to some shop somewhere and pick up a new whistle to make me feel better!

TTFN
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Don't take a wood whistle with you, unless you want to risk another cracked instrument. An Abell should be find, since Chris seasons his wood unusually well, but otherwise I'd stick with metal or plastic.

Loren
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Tygress, I am so sad for your loss of another wood whistle, :cry: I have never had one so I don't know what is involved in keeping them from cracking.

But, I am happy for you that you are leaving tomorrow for an Irish adventure! :D Have a great time!

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

Pick one of the metal whisltes that you have that you can live with for the trip. There are sessions in parts of Ireland that are known to hold a prejudice against Yanks with expensive wood whistles. Nothing nasty, just rolled eyes, a nudge to the neighbor - "here comes another one" :roll:
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

Tyghress
Enjoy your trip! You must be very excited.

Wood. Beautiful, beautiful wood. Nothing quite as stunning as well crafted wood, no matter what form it takes, but especially when it can sing it's song. The downside to it's beauty is...well...it's beauty. I never travel with a wooden whistle because I'm so paranoid of something happening to it. All my most 'zen' whistle moments have been on backpacking/camping trips or adrift on a lake with my cheapest whistles.

I really don't know why I'm posting this since I really don't have anything interesting or informative to say on the subject, however, you do have my deepest sympathies over your loss.

Just out of curiosity, what types of wood have your split whistles been?

Anyway, have a wonderful trip!
Eric
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

There may be a solution to this problem in the future. Unfortunately, it won't help with already made wooden whistles, flutes, etc.

I've made some inquiries and will keep you posted.

*Intentionally vague. It works for the mysterious Mr. Syn, so why not?*

Best wishes,
Jerry
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

Ty,
so sorry to hear, what a heart-break!

great news about your trip, though. please give a full report when you return! my wife and i are taking our son to the island the last part of may. its his high school graduation present from us. so, i want to know all the nitty gritty, like where to eat, where to stay, what to do, etc.

have a great trip!
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

some kinds of fake wood, however ugly they may be, are practically indestructible.

enjoy your trip
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
Jack

Post by Jack »

Did it crack while you were playing it? Do you care to say which one it is (if not I understand)? I only have one wooden whistle but I'm deathly afraid of it cracking because I don't think I could have it repaired easily....
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Okay...for all and sundry...the three whistles have been: rosewood Sweetheart prototype, repaired by Ralph and still lovely, a pink ivory Busman that drove Paul to distraction during its building (repaired during building and still holding itself together), and (deep sigh) Abell blackwood which is currently winging its way back to Chris for repair. Its not dead yet (and Chris said he'd make a new head if necessary) but it hurt to look at it.

I oil them religiously. I play them faithfully.

In re: not bringing a high-end whistle to play in Ireland...I really didn't consider it. The LAST thing I want to do is stand out in session. Last time a two piece Feadog did me fine for the three tunes I played. This time I'll probably bring an old Gen...but I do have a passing interest in the M&E that James mentioned. All I need is directions to the source :D

Five sessions lined up so far. . .two festivals. . .we'll see what comes of it!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I wonder why wooden whistles seem so much more inclined to crack than other wooden instruments? Is it because they are so thin-walled? I have a maple recorder that's been horribly neglected, but doesn't even appear dry, let alone cracked, but it's much thicker walled than a wooden whistle.

My condolences on your (hopefully temporary) loss, and (slightly envious) best wishes for your trip!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My condolences, Tygh. I was afraid it was maybe the warped one you got from me. I'm very surprised to hear it was an Abell. The sound of his whistles may not be consistent, but the quality of the wood is.

Redwolf, the thinness of the walls of a whistle certainly has something to do with their tendency to crack. Probably the biggest culprit, though is metal tuning slides. Flutes, which are much thicker-walled, often crack if they have tuning slides and/or metal-lined heads. I have an antique boxwood flutes, though, with no cracks. Box is one of the most notorious woods for creeping, and this one has a pretty noticeable warp but no slide.

Now I'm gonna run down to my wooden-whistle case and make sure none of them have done anything that will depress me.

Have a nice trip, Tygh. I'm jealous.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Do wooden whistles have metal couplings? I've heard of wooden flutes cracking because the metal expands differently then the wood.

Anyway Tyg have a great trip!!!!! :)
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Oh! That is so sad! Very sorry to hear about your whistle cracking. (*looks at her own wooden whistle and cringes at the thought of it ever cracking*) Hope it gets fixed up soon, and that you have a fantastic trip to Ireland!

Image Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Tyghress wrote:I oil them religiously.
How often are you talking about?
Perhaps you should stray from your faith a bit...

Tyghress, go to the home supply store and get some adhesive back woodgrained shelf liner paper. Wrap one of your metal whistles with the stuff (long grain and the seam on the bottom side) cutout the tone holes with a hobby knife. See... isn't that better?