My first whistle? (All around for travel)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Expired
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

My first whistle? (All around for travel)

Post by Expired »

Hey guys,

I've been looking at tin whistles off and on for a while now. We leave on a long backpacking trip in may, and I figure now is as good a time as any to buy one.

I'm hoping to hear your thoughts on the different whistles I'm looking at. I've kind of narrowed it down to aluminum for durability and maybe a fixed head for less moving parts? I've read that you don't really need a tunable whistle, and if for some reason you need to tune one you can attach some thick paper to the end with a rubber band (thoughts?). Still trying to decide if I need a high D or if I can get away with packing a low D in the backpack.

$310 Colin Goldie Low D (fixed head)
$230 Colin Goldie High D (fixed head)
$200 MK Kelpie Low D (fixed head)
$190 Blackwood High D (tunable)
$215 Chieftain Thunderbird Low D (fixed head)
$215 Chieftain V4 Low D (fixed head)
$155 Chieftain High D (fixed head)
$90 Laughing High D (Brass telescoping)
$80 Impempe High D (fixed head)
Mr.Gumby

Re: My first whistle? (All around for travel)

Post by Mr.Gumby »

if for some reason you need to tune one you can attach some thick paper to the end with a rubber band (thoughts?
That's not really how it works. It would perhaps solve a sharp bottom D but to call a whistle 'tunable' you will have to be able to change the overall pitch of it.
My brain hurts

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Expired wrote:I'm hoping to hear your thoughts on the different whistles I'm looking at.
A strangely disparate list...
I've kind of narrowed it down to aluminum for durability
Why? It's not necessarily the most durable option and, if you're not going to pack your stuff so tight that you'll squish/bend a typical traditional thin brass tube and/or jump up and down on your pack, probably not the most cost-effective either.
Still trying to decide if I need a high D or if I can get away with packing a low D in the backpack.
Have to say I'd think twice about backpacking lumbered with a one-piece low D!

Have you played before and are you sure that's what you want?

FWIW I'd recommend a good solid plastic whistle like a Susato, which (in the shape of an older one-piece high D) is exactly what I take when I feel the need to stuff a whistle in my rucksack.

[Edited for typo in last sentence.]
Last edited by Peter Duggan on Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
megapop

Post by megapop »

Expired wrote:I've read that you don't really need a tunable whistle, and if for some reason you need to tune one you can attach some thick paper to the end with a rubber band (thoughts?). Still trying to decide if I need a high D or if I can get away with packing a low D in the backpack.
Since you're backpacking, I suppose it is rather unlikely that you'll play a lot with others -- especially as it's going to be your first whistle anyway. So you don't need a tunable whistle, and the key of the whistle shouldn't really matter either. Personally, I'd try to keep it small, though.

I fully concur with Peter that a nice plastic whistle would probably be the best option. It's what I'm usually taking along myself as well; high D or C is just fine for travel IMO.
Last edited by megapop on Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
return null;
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Expired wrote:I've kind of narrowed it down to aluminum for durability
Why? It's not necessarily the most durable option and, if you're not going to pack your stuff so tight that you'll squish/bend a typical traditional thin brass tube and/or jump up and down on your pack, probably not the most cost-effective either.
I'm hazarding the wild guess that a "long backpacking trip" that is being planned months in advance and is begun in May will somehow involve the AT and possibly a thruhike. A whopping big aluminium whistle like an Overton might just come in handy! Emergency splint; spare tarp peg; quick-n-dirty shovel; self-defense baton; light-weight mallet; hotdog roaster. Heck, you could even whip it out and play a tune on it!
Still trying to decide if I need a high D or if I can get away with packing a low D in the backpack.
The nice thing about a cylindrical low D, is that you can fit a high d right inside! Plug the end with a rubber stopper and use it to keep a couple pens or other long thin things handy.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

If you were looking for combination hammer, club and low whistle, then a tunable Impempe low D would be the best, if you can find one second hand. Ian Turnbull has stopped making them, more is the pity.

Given the price range you are quoting in your post, I would think that a tunable whistle would be better. The Dixon TB012D plastic low D would be cheapish, tunable and light for carrying around if you decide to go the low D route.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Celticexile
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Celticexile »

Comments from many more qualified than I, but looking at your requirements (especially the back-packing side) I would heartily recommend the Parks Walkabout (High D).

It's virtually indestructable, tunable, slips into a carry-pouch not much larger than a pack of cigarettes and is easily cleaned if exposed to "gunge" during your trip. It also has the advantage of a "tone ring" which can be adjusted to reduce the volume of sound it produces - useful for practise when nearby company (or, if it's your first whistle, embarrassment!) make the full volume undesirable.

I have the original white (harder material) version and, for me, it has satisfied all the requirements you list. It's also a good deal cheaper than most of the potential choices you list - take a look on the Parks Whistles website.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

I think it is better to take cheaper whistles on backpacking trips, where it is easy to lose or damage things. More expensive doesn't always mean better with whistles, and there are other durable choices besides aluminum. Personally I wouldn't recommend a susato as a first whistle for other reasons, but the above post is correct in the sense that they are indeed durable, easy to clean, and perform well outdoors. However, they can sound overbearing when played by someone without much experience, or, at least moreso thn many other whistles might.

And, as mentioned, you can't tune a whistle by attaching anything to the end. This would only lower the pitch of the lowest note(s) on the whistle. For a whistle to be tunable the head needs to be able to move up and down, or there would need to be a tuning slide that would be positioned above all of the finger holes.

The "Syn" whistles are aluminum, durable,good quality, and also inexpensive compared to the ones you have listed (not to mention you can buy additional bodies for different keys, so you can have a few keys of whistles). Generally speaking, the lower keyed bodies will play more gently, in addition to being of lower pitch. Amongst other reasons, this might be useful during times when you want to be more quiet, as the lower keys (such as Bb) will sound more gentle than when the high D or Eb bodies are used. They are also tunable and come in a convenient pouch for carrying the head and bodies during travel. I do not see why tunability would be less desirable for travel, as being able to separate the whistle into parts allows it to take up less space, and I find it convenient for the occasional cleaning as well.
Korwen

Post by Korwen »

I fall in to the cheap whistle camp as well.

Were it my money to spend, I'd just buy a Clarke Sweetone and spend the remainder of your budget on lessons (or good raingear). The best instruments can sound awful in unskilled hands, and cheap instruments can sound masterful in the hands of a pro.
calanthrophy

Post by calanthrophy »

Sirchronique wrote:I think it is better to take cheaper whistles on backpacking trips, where it is easy to lose or damage things.
This was my first thought and would probably overshadow any and all other factors (for me at least). Get a good one for playing at home or places where it's easy to keep safe and a cheap one for travel.
My acoustic recordings (with whistles, of course):
https://soundcloud.com/jake_thiele
Words I write:
http://jakeisalwaysright.blogspot.com
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Personally, I'd go for something that breaks down into a compact package--something like the Parks Walkabout: http://parkswhistles.com/WalkaboutWhistle.html (I've never played one of these, but I like the concept.) The adjustable volume control could be handy, and PVC is strong, light, etc. Parks does a Walkabout in Bb or A (his 'Alto whistle')--which I think are two of the nicest keys for whistles.
Expired

Post by Expired »

Some great replies!

Ya, the list is a bit varied. I just couldn't decide if I needed to buy two whistles to use as nun-chucks against bears (the real reason for a fixed head is to tie them together) or if I would be skilled enough in a few months to serenade one to sleep with a single whistle. I figured i'd just list everything I was considering to see what you all have to say and narrow it down a bit from there.

Not hiking the AT, but that's definitely something I want to do at some point in my life. So no need for a spare tent stake, impromptu shovel, or mallet. Might be able to use it as a baton, and I'll definitely try out the hot dog roasting. Why on earth someone would actually play one of these god awful instruments is beyond me...

This is going to be a travel backpacking trip across Eurasia. And looking at it now, while I prefer the more mellow sound of the Low D, it might be a bit of a pain packing one in the backpack I'm taking. Maybe I should be looking at different keys?

The reason I'm looking at higher end whistles is that I'm more likely to get a whistle that's in tune with itself, of pleasurable tone, and not shrill in the 2nd octave. When looking at spending $70 on a plastic whistle, all I think is that I could spend $150 or so more and get the higher quality whistle that I'm more likely to be pleased with. Buying a cheaper whistle for travel does make sense in that it can be stolen or damaged, but when I'm going to be using this hopefully every day for at least a year (I'll need to find some places to avoid annoying people), I want something that's considered great.

As far as materials, I decided against wood to avoid a "playing in" period, oiling and carrying oil, and worrying about humidity and temperatures. While Delrin/PVC/ABS would be ideal to avoid pretty much all troubles, I just don't like the looks of it... and I don't like the feel of plastic. Trying to avoid brass due to tarnishing/polishing.

Thanks for clarifying the tuning with the paper and a rubber band. I guess a tunable whistle wouldn't be all that bad. It would definitely reduce my size constraints and make cleaning easier.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Expired wrote:The reason I'm looking at higher end whistles is that I'm more likely to get a whistle that's in tune with itself, of pleasurable tone, and not shrill in the 2nd octave.
So better cross that Chieftain High D off your list!
When looking at spending $70 on a plastic whistle, all I think is that I could spend $150 or so more and get the higher quality whistle that I'm more likely to be pleased with.
Or just as likely to end up regretting that misspent $150 when it hasn't brought what you'd hoped?
I want something that's considered great.
There are some great cheaper whistles and some on your list that few would consider great.
As far as materials, I decided against wood to avoid a "playing in" period, oiling and carrying oil, and worrying about humidity and temperatures.
Yep, probably best to leave the wood...
While Delrin/PVC/ABS would be ideal to avoid pretty much all troubles, I just don't like the looks of it... and I don't like the feel of plastic.
But you're missing so many good options here...
Trying to avoid brass due to tarnishing/polishing.
And tarnishing's hardly an issue when most folk let their brass whistles 'weather' and don't polish them.

Above all, I'd urge you as a beginner (with no experience at all yet?) not to go straight out and spend big on the assumption that you'll be better off/happier with an expensive shot in the dark because there's a high chance that's embarking on the path to frustration, disappointment and regret!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The reason I'm looking at higher end whistles is that I'm more likely to get a whistle that's in tune with itself, of pleasurable tone, and not shrill in the 2nd octave.
I wouldn't be too sure of that.
My brain hurts

swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by swizzlestick »

I often hike or backpack with a small whistle. A larger whistle is more difficult, but you can minimize risk with good packaging. I use a synthetic fleece bag inside PVC plumbing pipe with PVC end caps. The bottom cap is glued or hammered on permanently and has a tightly fitted closed cell foam pad just inside to cushion the whistle from bouncing in my pack. The extra fabric from the fleece bag is stuffed inside the top for a cushion there.

After many miles of travel using these cases with various packs and conditions, I don't worry about physical damage anymore. But it does take a couple of minutes to dig into the pack, fish out the case and unpack it.

When selecting a whistle for outdoor play, take in consideration cold and windy weather. I was surprised how a light breeze can wipe out sound on some whistles. You quickly learn to have your back to the wind and other tricks.

Susato, Sweetheart and Reyburn whistles seem to do better for me in cross winds, but maybe that is just because they are louder. I bet a Parks would too, but I don't have one. (Yet. I like the idea of a pocket size setup. :-) ) Plastic and wood tubes are better in serious cold, but I would not expose an expensive one to subfreezing temperatures. In May, I trust you will not be seeing too much cold.

And be considerate. A lot of people head outdoors to avoid noise and other people.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain