Vintage Piper Recommendations

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Murk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Vintage Piper Recommendations

Post by Murk »

Hey All -

I'm trying to further my education and listen to some pipers that one might call the "Masters" of our tradition. The only catch is - I have absolutely no idea where to start. I'm aware of folks like Seamus Ennis, Willie Clancy, Johnny Doran - but other than that I don't even know who to search for - much less albums to purchase. I would buy all of them were money not an object, but it is.

I'm thinking I'd like to hone in on one with a style I'd like to study, but this is further compounded by the fact that I'm not aware of who has what style. I have more familiarity with contemporary pipers, and I have grown to really appreciate David Power, and John McSherry, and would really appreciate Brian Macnamara, Mikie Smyth and Tiarnan O Duinnchinn if I could find more recordings of them. On top of all this, I appreciate as well the musical stylings of concertinists such as Noel Hill, and someday aim to capture what they do in my piping.

Any suggestions as to who to look into, as well as any particular albums or recordings?

Thanks so much in advance!
"When I was young I told myself I wanted to be somebody.
Now I realize I should have been more specific."
Mr.Gumby

Re: Vintage Piper Recommendations

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Rather than throw names at you, I'd suggest you listen to as many different players as you can and if one (or one style) particularly tickles your fancy, follow your nose and dig deeper in that direction.
My brain hurts

Murk

Post by Murk »

Thanks Gumby! Will definitely do that. Anyone to add in to my current list then of Seamus Ennis, Willie Clancy, and Johnny Doran? I know there are more out there I just don't have the names at my fingers.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

OK then: In no particular order: Tommy Reck, Leo Rowsome, Patsy Touhey, Michael Gallagher, Mchael Carney, Tommy Kearney, Liam Walsh, Billy Andrews, Tom Ennis, Tommy McCarthy, Pat Mitchell, Sean McAloon, Felix Doran, Andy Conroy. That will get you started. Not all full albums, some originally on 78 rpm but can be found on compilations. Some on CD, some only lp but can be chased up in some digital form or other.
My brain hurts

An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

Murk wrote:Anyone to add in to my current list then of Seamus Ennis, Willie Clancy, and Johnny Doran? I know there are more out there I just don't have the names at my fingers.
In addition to those, I highly value the recordings I have of Leo Rowsome, Tommy Reck and Tommy Keane.

Liam O'Flynn is still a favorite of mine, mostly because he is the first uilleann piper that I ever heard and I will never forget that.

Brian McNamara has four albums out, two solo, one with his family, and one with concertina player Tim Collins. All are good and worth having. To me, Brian epitomizes the tight or closed style, among living pipers.

If you like flat-set players like David Power, then I bet you will also like Mick O'Brien, Ronan Browne, Jimmy O'Brien Moran, and Pádraig McGovern.

If you like the fast "traveler" style of Johnny Doran, then you would probably also like Paddy Keenan, Michael "Blackie" O'Connell, and Mickey Dunne.

It's all a matter of personal taste, as Peter said.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Murk

Post by Murk »

Thanks much to the both of you! I'll be spending a few hours tonight sampling a few of these pipers. I wish iTunes had more of a selection - though I understand why they don't.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

There are 2 cds called the Drones and the Chanters (volumes 1 and 2) which give a selection of the master pipers. It's a good place to start.
PJ
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

There's lots of great recordings on archive.org

Just put uilleann into a search engine there and tons of stuff will pop up. Classic stuff too!

Enjoy!

Tommy
PCL

Post by PCL »

When it comes to pipering, I am constantly amazed by Willie Clancy. But, don't just listen to pipers. Listen to exponents of the other instruments. Where to begin? Try the Kerry crowd (Julia Clifford, Denis Murphy, Pádraig O'Keeffe, etc.). Their playing is solid, yet, it touches earth so lightly. For concertina, try Mary MacNamara. Her playing is like a gentle breeze. To get into the deep end, listen to sean-nós singers. It will do your playing, and your soul, no end of good. Start with Pádraigín Ní Uallacháin (her album An Dara Craiceann is lovely). Joe Éinniú and Tommy Potts can wait their turn!

:)
Hans-Joerg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

You might have a listen to Johnny Doran, as his style is unique. It is neither "open" nor "tight" (I find). I would call it portato: There is a short pause/stop after nearly every tone.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

In addition to those, I highly value the recordings I have of Leo Rowsome, Tommy Reck and Tommy Keane.

Liam O'Flynn is still a favorite of mine, mostly because he is the first uilleann piper that I ever heard and I will never forget that.

Brian McNamara has four albums out, two solo, one with his family, and one with concertina player Tim Collins. All are good and worth having. To me, Brian epitomizes the tight or closed style, among living pipers.

If you like flat-set players like David Power, then I bet you will also like Mick O'Brien, Ronan Browne, Jimmy O'Brien Moran, and Pádraig McGovern.

If you like the fast "traveler" style of Johnny Doran, then you would probably also like Paddy Keenan, Michael "Blackie" O'Connell, and Mickey Dunne.
And I thought I was already outside the 'vintage' pipers when I slipped Mitchell in! Image

Anyhow, I tried to mention only pipers who can be found on commercial recordings, there's a load more interesting stuff but I feel I'd be sending you on a wild goose chase if I refer you to private recrdings at this point. That said, there was a time I listened a lot to a Peadar Broe tape and loved it and pipers like Sean Seery are very much worth listening to, but you need to be able to get to recordings first.

[added]
I happen to have a clip of Broe here, poorly digitised (cassette recorder speaker into computer mic) fifteen years or so ago, but you'll get the idea: Trim the Velvet - Peadar Broe
My brain hurts

PCL

Post by PCL »

Peadar Broe: That's just lovely! Beautiful! The essence! There's tons of music in that. GRMMA, Mr Gumby.

:)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I really should digitise those tapes before they disintegrate. I love those old players who sound not hurried at all but still have a strong sense of rhythm and direction, of moving forward. Something I must say, risking to sound very much like an old f*rt, that seems to be utterly missing from a lot of musicians who get their training in academia these days.

By the way, the recording clicks and skips a bit but that's the poor digitising, his rhythm was rock solid.

[ Image for f-sake, you can't even say F-A-R-T here]
My brain hurts

An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

Mr.Gumby wrote:And I thought I was already outside the 'vintage' pipers when I slipped Mitchell in! Image
:) I threw most of those living pipers out there only because the OP himself brought up David Power, John McSherry, Brian McNamara, etc.

Thanks for the clip!

And, the overly-sensitive censoring settings here annoy me too.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
PCL

Post by PCL »

And, the overly-sensitive censoring settings here annoy me too.
Have a look at what "root" means in Australia. Root beer takes on an entirely new meaning. And as for rooting for your team ….

OK, people, back to the topic. Nothing to see here.

:D